Is EQ2 here to stay?

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Braxxton, Apr 18, 2014.

1. Braxxton Member

Hi all,

With all the talk about EQNext and EQ Landmark, is EQ2 here to stay, or is it going to end up going offline soon after EQNext and EQ Landmark go big?

Is EQ2 still popular???

Is the population enough for SOE to continue to keep it online for quite some time to come?

Just curious as EQ1 is online and has been since, what? 1999? and new expansions and updates are regular... Curious if EQ2 is doing the same, and am curious if it'll stay online for a good time to come.
  2. Pariel Active Member

I would say yes - as you said, look at EQ1

Landmark isn't an "EQ" game and EQNext is still a long ways off.
  3. Charlice Well-Known Member

4. gixxisgod Member

The great and powerful Gixx says it shall remain open as long as iam here!
  5. Leloes Well-Known Member

I'd say it's here to stay. It has a devoted following and I really don't think EQN is going to have that big of a affect EQ2. Mainly because one of the biggest complaints, I've heard, is the toons in EQN have too cartoony a look. I MIGHT give WQN a try but I'm definitely not leaving EQ2.
  6. Finora Well-Known Member

Everquest, Everquest 2, Landmark and EQNext are all pretty different. There is no reason to think that everyone here is going to flock to EQNext and Landmark. Landmark is set to grab Minecraft lovers (from what I've seen I can't see why people would continue to play minecraft :) ) . Next is set to be outside of what has become the norm for MMO games. Some people will likely love it. Some will hate it. Some will hate the graphics enough that any pros to gameplay will not compensate & they will stay with their old game. Some will drop everything else they play to be there. Then there will be the people who dabble in all of them while favoring one of the set over the others.

I don't see EQ2 going anywhere for a while. Just like EQ1, EQ2 gets regular updates and an expansion each year (they are going to start teasing us with this year's expansion this month if what I've understand from Devs' postings is correct.)

In the end one has to just look at games like Vanguard. SOE kept it for a very long time basically running in the hole. It's only just shutting down this summer. It was down to one server with probably a 1000 or so people logging on on a regular basis (making a guess on numbers, but I never saw many people even in cities during events so I don't think I'm all that far off). And that game had never had a single expansion in it's 7 years.

Now they have shut down games that seemed on the outside to be thriving. FreeRealms and CloneWars Adventures always had a ton of people playing. Apparently those people who were playing weren't doing much paying though and it lead to them being shutdown.

As long as EQ & EQ2 are profitable we'll keep getting updates and expansions. Most likely we'll know long in advance that things are going bad before they flip the switch.
  7. Kalihel New Member

Yeah the way EQN is shaping up with the WoW graphics I think I may be sticking to EQ2 for some time. It'll all depend on just what an Iksar looks like.