Just a wanderin'

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Chago, Mar 11, 2014.

1. Chago New Member

Hello,

I wandered into the thundering steppes, found lots of quests there around my level. I've been kind of bouncing back and forth between there and butcherblock. Should I stick to one zone at a time, or is it perfectly fine to wander?

Also, I noticed there are no nice indicators on the map for quest locations. Is this normal?

I have one last question. Different topic. I was trying to get my guild heraldry to show up on my cloak. After some trial and error, research, and spending approximately 40g on crafted cloaks to find one that will display my guild heraldry, I finally managed to get it to show. I am wondering, could I have saved the trouble and coin? Is there a definative way of telling which cloaks will do this and which ones will not?

Thanks!
  2. Feylone Active Member

You have to have the quest up in the quest helper for POIs to show. And not all areas/quests will show them. Not sure how it works on the default map. I use EQ2Map. As far as the guild heraldry on the cloaks, I'm not sure how to tell which cloaks will/will not display it. Have it turned on in your character options and try different ones.
    Chago likes this.
  3. Maltaros Active Member

Most of the older zones have not been updated for the quest markers. When SOE implemented the marker system they also put in the "Golden Path" which is the preferred order for running zones. It kind of increases the fun in the other zones because you get to figure out where things are for yourself. *smle*

Guilds have the option to allow you to show the heraldry at specific levels. Often new members aren't given the permission to show it until they are promoted a rank or two. Some upper ranking guild member may have seen you were struggling with that issue and changed the permissions for your rank or raised you a bit. Most cloaks with a bland appearance are capable of showing the heraldry. Before spending gold next time, though you can always hit Ctrl+Left Mouse while hovering over the item to get a preview of how it will look on you.

Hope that helps.
    Chago likes this.
  4. Finora Well-Known Member

Generally any cloak that has fancier graphics is going to no show heraldry.

To show heraldry it has to be a very plain cloak. It can have color and designs like the guild heraldry or be a plain color & show heraldry. If it has an graphics that look like they have depth or movement, it will not show.

That would be almost every tailor crafted cloak in the game. There is also the level 90 recipe from tailors for a "majestic guild cloak" that is pretty much the only fancier looking cloak in the game that will show guild heraldry.

There are also at least some dropped and quested cloaks in the game (like the Cloak of the Emerald Stonegazer) that follow the 'it's kind of plain so will show heraldry' rule.

Quest locations on the map are a newer feature. Quests in zones from before the addition that have not been revamped since (such as Thundering Steppes)are not always marked in blue, but if you read the text 95% of the time it'll tell you all you need to know to locate what you are looking for. If you still have issues, download EQ2 maps.
    Chago likes this.
  5. Dulcenia Well-Known Member

Something to remember, is that now you have found a cloak that displays the heraldry, when you replace it you can move it to your appearance cloak slot and never have to worry about the problem again.
    Charlice, Avahlynn, Chago and 2 others like this.
  6. Snowhaze Active Member

You should do what you find most entertaining, that said it would be a lot more efficient (level quicker) if you stuck to one zone at a time. You might consider going 100% aa xp (if you aren't FTP) and just finish up one zone and then move to the other, that way you won't out level the quests.

In all or most of the low level zones, you will find quests indicators marked nicely on the map, toward the middle levels, I think around 30's in many of the zones you will not get the markings on the maps (use a site like eq2.zam.com for assistance if you need it), but again once you hit 40's or maybe 50's the markers will all be back and they seem to be there for all the higher level zones.

Here is a link to the Golden Path you might find helpful - http://eq2.zam.com/wiki/The_Golden_Path

Make sure you do the leaper mount quest at 30ish level in BB http://eq2.zam.com/wiki/Leaper_Mounts
    Chago likes this.
  7. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

The only correct way is to do whatever is fun for you. I like to use EQ2i's handy Solo Timeline Guide as a reference to help locate quests and zones that are at the level in which I'm adventuring.
    Charlice and Chago like this.
  8. Chago New Member

Well, now thats a very handy reference right there. I bookmarked that page. I think i will set my xp to 100% aa and take in all the sights. :)
  9. Avahlynn Well-Known Member

I like taking in the sights, myself. So yup, I wander a lot! And that's not just limited to the where but it extends to the why: some days I quest, other days I run dungeons, some days I craft or go harvest (it can be pretty relaxing!). Do whatever you like basically, it's only compass is if you are having fun as you learn the world of Norrath.

Happy hunting,
    Ava
    Charlice likes this.
  10. Charlice Well-Known Member

To see what an item will look like hit ctrl enter. That works with 'most' items in game.
  11. blutree Member

Wow - very helpful link - thanks for that.

I've been using zam as well which really helps.

Being new as well, I'm also jumping here and there - I tend to do a bunch of quests in area then look in other areas to see if there is anything my lvl- if I get ganked by npc mobs I go back LOL - also doing some harvesting and crafting once in awhile but not big on crafting personally.

I find, what ever floats your boat is how it should be done - I prefer the game NOT holding my hand and allowing me to experience as I go along.

Plus I'm an alt-o-holic so I get to see lots of different things as well.

Basically, play your game the way you enjoy and all is well with the world :)
  12. Chago New Member

Today I wandered through thundering steppes and came across my old harvesting grounds, where the lions and centaurs hang out. Then I wandered a little further south and came across the "giant" road. Brings back so many fond memories for me. :)
    Charlice and Dulcenia like this.