Make "IGNORE" function Account Wide

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by KrayzeeYou, Jan 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ynnek Well-Known Member

The simple matter is, the argument doesn't matter.

The ability to ignore an account is a lovely idea, when used as intended. If someone wants to ignore an account, that's a perfectly valid idea, sounds win-win. Heck, I've even got one 'person' I'd use it on.

But the unintended consequences are of course the ability to suss out alts. This is far more than a 'theoretical' risk that only happens by happenstance. One could fairly easily, systematically, determine the alts of anyone who does anything in chat. (The more they talk, the easier it would be of course).

And this is something the Devs have *repeatedly* acted to prevent. The ability to keep alts private (if the player chooses to do so), is something they have deliberately protected. They ensured it on eq2players, they ensured it in the api data feeds (even making it default to alts being private so there was no information leak before the player could turn it off manually). They have also, over time, patched up the few other places where the AccountID leaked through, which allowed players to associate characters to accounts. They went out of their way to make sure that couldn't happen.

Deliberately adding a new feature that makes it possible, not gonna happen. And if it was going to happen, it would probably have happened one of the other dozen times this subject has come up...
    Mae- likes this.
  2. Cloudrat Well-Known Member

Beastlords?

Never say never.
    Charlice likes this.
  3. Ynnek Well-Known Member

No, never say never indeed.....

*shakes Magic 8 Ball*

>> All signs point to no
  4. Rainmare Well-Known Member

I decided on a whim, to put that to a test, and see if the 'majority' of this thread says 'no'. so let's see.

Yes posters: Krayzeeyou, Diggen, Rainmare, Cloudrat, Vladislav, Grundge, Draylore, Vandrago, Kuulei, Juraviel, Ahvalyn, Faelynn, Ruckus, Araxes, Torvaldr, Xray, Aspekx

No posters: Mae, kraeref, tylia, Rotherian, Malleria, Balbasaur, Errrorr,

most the rest you might count in the 'no' catagory I didn't put in not because I'm trying to be bias, but becuase it was mostly responses like 'just ignore them' and 'get a thicker skin' or 'I don't use ignore' or 'just leave the channel'...without a response really either way on wether or not they'd care if it was/the time it might take to be implemented. the above are posters that put yes I want it, or no I don't want them to waste time on it somewhere in a post.

most the no posters usually have the idea of they'd rather keep alts hidden/rather the resources be used elsewhere, and such. but they do generally state in a post that they are saying no to it.

seems to me in this thread at least, the large majority want it.
  5. Balbasur Active Member

Then it's the silent majority, silly.
  6. Grayven Member

I'm a 'Yes'. If it's important enough to keep alts hidden, then it's important enough for them to be on a separate account. That's certainly no reason to limit the usefulness of an important game feature from everyone else.
  7. Ruckus Well-Known Member

I'm 50/50 on this discussion.

I'm like the "no" people and do not want entire accounts instantly ignored. I just want to be able to ignore one toon at a time vs. having to /ignore Bigjerk 8 times . I also would like to have my friends list to be account-wide.
    Alenna likes this.
  8. R.J. MacReady Active Member

I have never seen a thread were the opposition proves my case so convincingly.

Is there any better reason to have better tools to buffer you from people who feel that they know whats better for you then you do?
    Athenia, Grundge and Cloudrat like this.
  9. Mae- Well-Known Member

What someone does with their alts is flat out none of your business. I'm sorry but this has been the standard since day 1 of this game, even day 1 of EQ1. Yes that means once in a blue moon you might need to ignore the same person more than once, but that shouldn't outweigh everyone elses right to protect their account and alt information from others.

FWIW, I do support the feature of any single character you either friend or ignore be friended or ignored across all of your OWN characters, but I will never, ever, EVER support a feature that lets you ignore all alts of a player by simply ignoring a single character of theirs.
  10. Mae- Well-Known Member

Dude, it's a game. Honestly. I'm just saying, why are you letting what people say in a game affect your life so much? I'm allowed to have an opinion, as are you, and my opinion is that it's silly to get so worked up over some random person on the internet.
  11. Tinkerbe Active Member

My three reasons not to want Global Ignore…

Three – I like to troll. If friends ignore a character I create to troll on chat channels they will not be able to hear me, and they might figure out I have been trolling. I don't want them to know what kind of person I really am.

Two – When you factor the number of EQ2 accounts, average characters per account, the rate at which those characters use chat, how often I get on chat channels with an alternate account, and how much time my guild dedicates to analyzing chat channels and trying to figure out if I have an alt that is not in the guild, etc… Someone could expose my non-guilded alt after only a few thousand years of research.

One – I did not think of it, thus, I am against it.
    Charlice and Cloudrat like this.
  12. Wingrider01 Well-Known Member

we are definitely on different servers, 99 percent of the chatter in 1-9 is trash talk
  13. Wingrider01 Well-Known Member

Yah with this method those that have a grudge against another player will be able to take revenge with out being caught, now add in a permanent ban for false reports then you might have something
  14. Wingrider01 Well-Known Member

go back through the older and archived threads this particular thread ranks in the top 5 of the dead horse subjects that have been brought up time and time again over the last 9 years. It is a very poor utilization of resources, especially with the overly optimistic changes that SOE is attempting that is discussed in a different section of this forum. As far as your cursory look - how are you counting those that have replied but have made no defined statement that they are for or against? Count me in the against because of a very poor ROI, it is to simple to make a new FTP account which will allow them to troll 5 channels for free
  15. Artemiz Active Member

Account wide ignore would need to be moved server side.

1. You would ignore a toon and you would only see the toon you added
    2. Server uses the account name for that toon as the ignore

Is it possible? Dont know, I am not privy to the architecture of their current system.

I would still, after all these years of asking for account wide ignore, like it to be expanded to include removal of all ignored toons from broker searches and group formations (if you are invited to a group with an ignored toon you receive a message before accepting the invitation.
    Juraviel and Athenia like this.
  16. Athenia Well-Known Member

This is what I was wondering. Why can't this be server-side unless the coding prevents it? Then privacy would be had and the only way being found out that I can think of at the moment is if you joined a group with a person's ignored alt.
  17. SteelPiston Active Member

I hate all the anonymity anyway. It helps people that are nice in real life to be complete ***** in game without any consequences. If I want to be able to put "Imanidiot" AND all of his alts on ignore, then I should be able to.

People type in chat pretty much the same way all the time with their bad grammar and sayings. It's really easy to spot someone's alt once they start up in chat again. If you don't want to be ACCOUNT IGNORED, then I suggest that you clean up your act.
    Cloudrat likes this.
  18. Ynnek Well-Known Member

Even server side (and of course it would have to be done server side), it opens all played alts to exposure. You could easily build a list of all of "X"'s alts (assuming they ever chat in any common channel). And you could trivially confirm any suspects alts without any chat required. You could prevent the latter by hunting down and changing every piece of code that interacts with the ignore list. But there's no way, by design, to prevent the former.

The ability to Ignore an entire Account is by definition an end to alt privacy. There's no way around it.

Now, we can argue over whether that's a good thing or a bad thing. I tend to think that what people do on their alts is their own business. If they want vending alts, so be it. If they want SLR buying/selling alts, meh. If they want raiding alts in other guilds without their primary guild knowing, so be it. I'm not convinced giving players the tools to out alts is a good idea.

People are focusing on a very tiny slice of the picture - the ability to not be bothered by a particular human in chat, which is a noble goal. While at the same time, ignoring the much bigger picture...
  19. Ladymist Well-Known Member

While I am "for" account wide ignore ( will make it harder for a griefer/stalker/harrasser to bother you), it just simply is a temporary fix

In my case I had put someone on ignore then they just bothered me on alts. Then alts on their alt account. Next was having "other" people not knowing this person was harassing me, send me ingame mails for them and player written cards by them get sent by the other person. Sooner or later people got the jist to not relay their messages o that server. they followed me over the 3 servers I mainly played harassing me as they went. A petition was sent in with screens and /reports after i had enough. they went away for a hopping 3 weeks then back at it again.
    This person even went so far as to make a toon on freeport and put my name in their toons name. Ofcourse they gave me a bad rep because they trolled 1-9 begging for mounts ect and I am not that active in general so when I finally did talk they thought they were my alt and would troll me lol.
    This person followed me to champion respite and had others also talk to me for them. they made guilds with the same name as mine on other servers it was a MESS.
    Now account wide ignore you see, will only stop someone so far so it really isnt a fix. if they are going to grief you they will just find other ways. and now with FTP its EVEN esier
  20. Juraviel Active Member

Because when you have douchebags like the person yesterday on AB purposely creating characters to spam the auction channel over and over for 30-40 minutes it gets frustrating and distracting and does not in any way enhance mine, or anyone else's, gameplay. Period.
    Torvaldr likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.