Refined Designs Guild Hall

Discussion in 'Norrathian Homeshow' started by Cheribomb, Dec 20, 2013.

1. Gracey Well-Known Member

Maybe read the first line of the post. I am not taking up for this person. I agree it was wrong. BUT... at the same time aren't you just a tiny bit flattered that someone liked your design so much?
  2. NefariaDarksoul Well-Known Member

You are absolutely correct Gracey. Gosh, you and I have been doing this for years. We all steal/borrow/get inspired from each other all of the time. I'm like you, half the time I forget where I saw an awesome idea, so I don't always credit every little thing. That is the awesome thing about our community. Imitation is the highest form of flattery. It is a good feeling when you see your stuff partially copied or adapted into other designs and know that you influenced another decorator...
    That being said, I get why she was upset. I don't think that I have ever, in all of my years of doing this, seen someone blatantly copy a design bit for bit, so much so that you have to really look at the real and the copy to see where the differences are. I get it that they loved it and wanted it, but if that was me, and I wanted it that badly, I would have sent her a mail and asked if it would be okay to copy it or use her layout if she was willing. Or offer SC or some such thing as compensation for the use of her layout file. Heck I love this design so much that I told Cheribomb I wanted to design my portal hub like it. But there is the key difference. I talked to the original designer, my design will give compliments where they are due when it is ever posted, and I am basing my design off of her idea, not copying it bit for bit. Just my two coppers worth ;)
  3. Sapphirius Well-Known Member

Gracey, we have read the first line. Well, I know I read it. I know you aren't sticking up for them. What I'm trying to do is explain the difference between stealing an idea (which is what you described in your post) and stealing an entire design. I'm sorry if anything I said hurt you.
  4. Cheribomb Well-Known Member

Yes I was flattered for about 2 seconds before my stomach dropped at the boldness of it; and then the anger set in. :)
  5. Gracey Well-Known Member

I loves ya'll - just WOW I would be so flattered if anyone anywhere thought enough of my work to duplicate it. I know it was wrong that they did it. I want someone to steal my stuff /jealous
  6. Afista Well-Known Member

I steal you stuff all the time Gracey! lol *runs off to jot down some Guild Hall design elemnts* ;)
  7. Bregdania Active Member

In real life I too am an artist and have faced this same dilemma. It is a bitter pill to swallow and you do feel violated. Knowing how we put our heart and soul into certain things makes me sorry this happened to you Cheri.

Having said that, I love to be inspired by the amazing people here on the forum and in game and often when wandering through halls and homes, see things that make a mental impact on me. No doubt others like myself are subconsciously affected to a degree where we recreate things that are close to someones "special" idea and yet we are unaware of our actions. Also if we are aware that it is something that has inspired us but we can't for the life of us remember where, it is difficult if not impossible to know where to offer acknowledgement, thanks or seek permission.

I sincerely hope that I never offend someone unintentionally. What I would never do is blatantly copy someones work without firstly, gaining permission and secondly giving credit where due.
  8. Cynara Well-Known Member

You have still handled this with so much class. Kudos to you, Cheribomb. They can never match that level of self-control and patience. Besides karma is a... well we all know the rest.

I have loved this design from the beginning. Please do not let the rudeness and uncouth behavior of fools ruin the specialness of your creation. They will only ever be a cheap imitation. Like a Frauda bag.

Avahlynn and I have had art, entire websites, code and even our writing ripped off. It's a dirty ugly feeling, but I will not suffer those fools ruining my enjoyment in our creations. I will just keep their names in a special place to open and unlock when I need a dose of anger to fuel me. Plus, it just shows they not only have no class, manners, and dignity, but no skill. And they can't take that from you no matter how hard they try.
  9. Cheribomb Well-Known Member

Thank you Cynara. It was probably a good thing I didn't have access to these forums over the weekend except to make one brief post; but I was pouting in the facebook homeshow page :) I did go through periods of "my design is ruined and I hate it now, I'm going to have to change mine if they don't and etc etc" I even thought about never publishing another design again but realized then I would have to stop playing cause I like sharing creations and it's the only thing I do in this game anymore. Then I thought, I won't let them stifle me! Lol this drama is so exhausting. Bottom line is just stinks when someone rips you off.
  10. BettyKroaker Well-Known Member

Looks beautiful~! can't wait to visit in person :D
  11. Jexi Well-Known Member

We, as decorators, take our interior design work in Everquest II as a serious art form; just as any other artist who brings a brush to a canvas, so we too paint the world of Norrath with our beauty and delight in it. And it is. Our home design is essentially zone design. An art form in its own right. No degree with Full Sail required to enjoy it.

I too have experienced this with my own designs. It's very troubling and you feel like a piece of your world has scampered off in a pickpocket's death-grip. Why such a serious description? I may not make a career of my art form, but my art form makes a career of me. I love it and it's who I am. Please ask permission of anyone before you use their artwork. People think alike. I can see that, but I can also tell they had their own mind and will of purpose. They were not trying to be me. They were just trying to be themselves and similar people create similar things. Just not with exacting duplication.

When this happened I certainly didn't want to stir any pots. I just wanted to make sure Cheribomb was treated fairly. I knew people would be angry. Yes, it is flattering people love our designs. I am far more flattered when people ask me first before they use the whole design. Bits and pieces I almost always say sure go ahead, no problem, but not the whole design. I will occasionally give away designs or sell my old projects, because I decide when I can let them go. Everyone's view of whats acceptable varies, however and its in good form to check first with someone.

Here in the Homeshow world, we always treat each other with respect and try to keep things fair and out in the open. That's all I ever wanted when I joined this great group of friends.
  12. Avahlynn Well-Known Member

Well said, Jexi!

Design is art. Period. And this is such an open form of art, home tours, picture threads here on the boards, crafter and homeshow chat channels. We are super blessed with a warm community that shares ideas openly and with few reservations.

I am a firm believer that from a bad thing good can come, and from this experience I have taken a renewed respect for the willingness to share and teach and encourage within the decorating family here in eq2. Thank you all for opening your homes and courtyards, apartments and taverns for examination, and the edification of baby-stage designers like me. Maybe one day I'll get the courage to post my own picture thread on the boards of a home I've made. Till then, I shall relish in all the talent you guys demonstrate daily here and in game.
  13. Valzen Well-Known Member

Aww Cheri, you are so sweet. I really appreciate it. You are top class, definitely. :) HUGS!!!!!!!!!
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  14. NefariaDarksoul Well-Known Member

Now see, this is where a good bottle of wine fixes many things. ;) Plus I would get really upset if you stopped working and posting. We would have to have words. Many words. Like bad ones. And then I would have to kick you at fanfair or something equally mean. :)
  15. Zexian Member

Hello, not around much on the forums, but figured I'd stop by since I saw this one gained activity again.

First: I'd like to say that Cheri has an amazing design idea (All your work I love and follow, even borrow little ideas here and there) - one that I contemplated borrowing. I decided against it because I didn't feel right to copy/borrow it so I went with a doctors office theme instead. (It worked out well, honestly)

Secondly: I don't see a problem doing a 'copy' of someone else's work, but like many here who have said -- make it your own. T for T copy is not the best idea.

I know many of the names diving all over this forum, many are big named designers/decorators as well as some whom I have learned a number of ideas, tricks, trades, etc from. To whom I thank you all for these ideas that I've borrowed and adapted in my own way (Still credit goes to those who I borrow from, even now when people compliment my hall I tell them exactly where I get the ideas from.) I guess I'm respectful like that and or have a serious case of that Little Voice syndrome.

As an artist of a different taste and flavor outside of game, I have my own flare in game with designs and so forth.

Cheri, amazing girl. Love your work and would LOVE to get with you some time to share ideas and maybe learn a few of your tricks of the deco trade.

Everyone has their own style. Run with yours and see the praise flood in and followers too. /salute
  16. Cheribomb Well-Known Member

Lol, I'm scared :) Yayyy! You're going to Fanfair! It's set in stone now for all to see so you can't change your mind!!!! See you there with a bottle or three of wine in hand :)
  17. Cheribomb Well-Known Member

Thank you! I'd love to see this doctor's office you speak of :) Can't remember if I've seen one in game yet. Chat me up anytime. I am usually on as myself on AB.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  18. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

I've seen a hospital/experimental medical school (now, that's scary!) built into the TT islands, but nothing so relatively mundane as a pleasant doctor's office. ;->

Hey! What about the dentist's office from "Finding Nemo"? Could do the aquarium and all... ;->

Uwk
    who now wonders how to duplicate a small orange and white fish in a baggie...
    Bregdania and Cheribomb like this.
  19. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

LOL! After seeing the doctor's office now, I see there's an aquarium in there... ;->

Uwk
    NefariaDarksoul likes this.