Which files to save

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by Gharish, Nov 18, 2012.

1. Gharish Active Member

I'm installing a new HD as soon as it comes in and would like to know what files I need to save and if I will need to do a full install or will everything be good when I copy HD's. If this isn't the correct please place where it belongs. Thanks
  2. TSR-AlexS Well-Known Member

You may want to make backups of the following files and folders in your EverQuest 2 directory:

cache folder (does not apply to Steam users)
    eq2_recent.ini
    eq2_default.ini
    EverQuest2.exe
    eq2.ini

As well as the character specific files, these will appear as follows:
    <ServerName>_<CharacterName>_EQ2_uisettings.ini
    <StationName>_characters.ini
  3. Gharish Active Member

Thanks Alex
  4. Feldon Well-Known Member

Just copy your EQ2 folder over from the old hard drive to the new one, then drag a shortcut of the Launcher (EQ2.exe) to your desktop.

Fortunately, EQ2 doesn't really "install" itself on a computer with all that Registry and AppData malarky that makes it impossible to move software from computer-to-computer. You can just move the whole folder to a new computer and it just works. I have been using the same EQ2 folder since 2008.
  5. Arweena New Member

Yup what Feldon wrote works great. Alternatively you can opt to save the following folders

Packs
    Music
    Screenshots (if you want to keep them)
    Logs (again if you want to keep them)
    UI (if you use a custom one)

And the following files

Eq2.ini (configuration settings)
    The other char files as pointed to by Alex

The rest of the game will download relatively fast and cleaning up the other files can actually clean up some other minor errors in game.
  6. flameweaver Well-Known Member

This - and if at all possible, don't install the game on your OS/Windows partition. I would strongly recommend putting the game on a dedicated "Game" partition or harddrive. Makes it easier to move when you upgrade, get new computer - and fix when Windows goes AWOL.