mouse click spin outs with Windows 8.1

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by Ardrek, Oct 22, 2013.

1. ravenbud555 New Member

I have two computers, one laptop and another a desktop that I've been playing with for years. Upgraded to Windows 8.1 last week and bam, I'm getting this problem now. Instant snap to looking at the ceiling. Very annoying. Never happened pre-Windows 8.1.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  2. Ynnek Well-Known Member

Has anyone tried the following hotfix which specifically addresses the same problem in other games? (EQ2 is not mentioned specifically).

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2908279

You will need to apply the hotfix, add NoDTToDITMouseBatch to the application compatibility flags for Everquest2.exe (via regedit), and reboot. It's not a pretty process, but if it makes the game playable...
  3. Vandrago Active Member

5 computers in my house, only one of them has Win 8.1, we have had this issue for years on all of those computers.
  4. Sandyfoot Well-Known Member

I like this part best from the above KB:

"Note If you are a game developer or provide support for a game, and you experience this issue in your games, apply this solution. If this solution resolves the issue, and the game is not included in the "Games that the update applies to" list, you can provide a registry update for the game. "

I'll wait until upgrading to Windows 8.1. Maybe by then EQ2 will have a fix (however, I've never experienced this issue)
    Seefar and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  5. The-Plethora Active Member

I applied the fix above a couple of days back and it solved the problem for me, definitely worse since 8.1 although this issue has been around since the early days but yeah without the fix I barely wanted to play.
  6. AudieMurphy New Member

Confirming. This completely fixed the issue for me.

In short, all you need to do is:

Go to where EQ2 is installed.

Right click on EverQuest2.exe and select properties.

Under the Compatability tab, enable the "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings".
    Seefar, Naudi and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  7. Torvaldr Well-Known Member

What other affect does this have on resolution? What does display scaling do?
  8. gem6219 Member

Seefar likes this.
  9. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Wow...makes me want even less to get to 8.anything; having enough issues with Win7. When you say you're "looking at the ceiling," is it like your "cameraman" (if in 3rd person) is looking straight up, or is it like mine, where my cameraman is stuck on the ceiling looking down, and my character won't move anywhere, just spin around in circles? That's the issue I'm having when I'm in Windowed mode with Win7 here. Didn't happen on my WinXP desktop, but I believe that was one of the major problems I had with the WinXP laptop: it wouldn't go out of Windowed mode back to fullscreen, ever (my hot bars were also all buried. If I tried to rescue them on the desktop, it still wouldn't help them unless I put them to the side, rather than the bottom...but I digress. My character models also wouldn't go out of the default to the alternates if I wanted them to, but that was really immaterial, and could've been solved by the Alt+O stuff), which would seriously mess up everything...it's been awhile since I tried it there, especially since when I tried to talk to a tech about how to go about solving the issue on my laptop, just any advice he could give me I could work out on my own, he basically let me have it for not having bought "the correct laptop." I told him I could play World of Warcraft on it just fine, and that was the last I'd heard from him. Just as well; there was no Free to Play back then, and I was a paying customer (still am, but at least we have better techs now ;->). :-/

Uwk
    Seefar likes this.
  10. Luhai Active Member

Oh well, appearently I'm not the only one with this issue. Thanks for the link, I'll try this fix. Otherwise it looks like I have to downgrade to Win8 again.
  11. Darkmoogle Member

I too just got 8.1 and this bug is driving me up a wall. I'm to the point where I quit playing. I also noticed that if your clicking around while in game, let's say the top left corner, the mouse pointer will pop right to the middle of the screen.

Does anybody know if EQ2 provides a raw input option?

I really don't want to mess around with the registry.
    Seefar and Juraviel like this.
  12. Eileithia Active Member

I applied the hot-fix and regedit last night and it seems to have fixed the problem. Ran the weekly last night (HK zones) and didn't once have the camera up my butt. It took all of 5 minutes, and the instructions on the MS site are very clear and easy to follow.
  13. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Hmm...any idea if this would help with Win7 when in Windowed mode? :-/

Uwk
    who's hoping...
  14. Darkmoogle Member

when typing "Rundll32 apphelp.dll,ShimFlushCache" in the admin command window is something supposed to happen? All that it is doing is dropping me down to the next line.
  15. Eileithia Active Member

No, there's no visual feedback that anything happens. Probably not a bad idea to do a reboot though after all of that is done.
  16. Darkmoogle Member

The fix did not work for me. Restarted and all. I used:

"C:\Users\Public\Sony Online Entertainment\Installed Games\EverQuest II\EverQuest2.exe"

was I supposed to use:

"C:\Users\Public\Sony Online Entertainment\Installed Games\EverQuest II\LaunchPad.exe"

I also downloaded the x64 file since my system is 64 bit. Should I have downloaded x86?
  17. iceverything Master of Respawning

Well that explains my cursor problem I updated to win 8.1 a few days ago and now Ill click on something and my cursor will just blot to other side of scree. Thanks WIN 8.1. :p
  18. allibit New Member

I have the same issue since upgrading to 8.1, unplayable for me so have stopped. Any idea when the fix will be patched in-game as i am not confident to play around with my registry? (i'm assuming it is a quick fix since the microsoft patch for this issue for some games opened the ability to fix the issue for any game)
    Seefar likes this.
  19. ITPalg Member

I just did the regedit and cmd fix since the MS update never worked (and making sure I have the latest Logitech drivers), and after a few minutes of clicking around the screen I have yet to suddenly have my camera looking some other way.

I have this problem in Wurm Online as well so I will try there. Other games I can't quite remember it doing it, such as Firefall, so it must not do it there, but I will check again.

You can see this happening on my Twitch past recording/YouTube upload.
  20. Leasha Member

Has anyone found a universal solution to this problem? I haven't seen my panning camera issue with my mouse for years but suddenly the problem started again for me when I installed Windows 8.1 as well. It's really annoying because it will either disorient me in the middle of battle while I'm scanning around or I'll start running/flying in a different direction as the mouse spins me around. All my hardware is the same and the only change I made was the upgrade to Windows 8.1 and suddenly this problem has resurfaced again.

I would love a working solution to this if anyone has found something that has resolved it for them. Thank you!
    Juraviel likes this.