Installed Windows 8>8.1, crash at launch

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by ITPalg, Nov 26, 2013.

1. ITPalg Member

The other day I installed W8, did all the updates, installed 8.1, did all the updates, downloaded the full EQ II installer, pointed the install to the EQ II folder on the game drive, did the install, and every time I click Play, the window will start up, then show a crash window without any details.

I have the latest Nvidia drivers.

Full DxDiag here.

Full MSInfo here.
  2. ITPalg Member

Apparently there is no edit function so...

I was seeing in the Event Viewer that there was some error notice about Creative Labs SC, but I am not using anything from CL. I DO have an SB audio card installed but it isn't active. I am using my RealTek onboard audio. The device manager doesn't even show any SB/CL card anywhere in the audio section(s).

I then figured I would just reinstall the entire game.

Yeah right...

I used the EQ II full installer linked in the KB.

I used Revo Uninstaller to get rid of every trace of the program files/folders, except my saved housing and screenshot folders.

I then used the full installer to install back into the EQ II spot, entered my info in the launcher, and now it says in pink, "Unable to contact the login server. Please try again later."
  3. ITPalg Member

Funny how now I see an edit function on my first reply but there is none on the OP...

I just realized that the installer I had downloaded has a different name than the one now available at the KB.

It must have been replaced as the previous one was trying to install an older version of Adobe Flash Player and I was getting a notice about it. The one I just downloaded and started on the install didn't tell me, and the launcher looks the same (brown). The other one I was trying to use was different. The game is installing now and so I will wait and see if it works when done.

I got into Vanguard just fine.