Can you claim small bag of platinum coins using game card time

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Ratmaster2013, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Ratmaster2013 New Member

so the post pretty much says it all:
    Can you claim small bag of platinum coins using game card time

I know there was a post a while back that said people who were silver accounts and bought gold sub using kroon or game card could not get the bags, can anyone confirm if this has changed?

Ratmaster2013 aka Ratmaster2000
  2. Alenna Well-Known Member

I have no trouble bluying the small bag of coins off the loyalty merchant and I use game cards to pay for my gold account.
  3. Gideon Member

its not something you claim, you buy it with the loyalty tokens you get from doing the daily quest.
  4. Davngr Well-Known Member

tbh, they should have made the small platinum bug be equal to running PR every 3 days or so ie. cost 3 loyalty tokens and give about 100 plat. guess 5 days and 75 plat isn't that far off but still, it would help new players assimilate tot he game better imo.

to op:
    find your daily objectives tab in your journal window and carry out any two? of those task and you will receive one token, collect 5? tokens and you can buy a small platinum bag.
  5. Militant-Zanshin New Member

75 is kinda overkill. But I guess it's good for the heavy trade skillers:)
  6. Elostirion Well-Known Member

No.

The heavy tradeskillers have plenty. It's good for the something-for-nearly-nothing crowd, and those who cant do math like MV=PQ, with significant overlap between those two groups.
    Rotherian and Militant-Zanshin like this.
  7. Militant-Zanshin New Member

I can see that!
  8. Rotherian Well-Known Member

While I agree with you, I'd be lying if I said that I hadn't claimed a few of those bags (on alts) already. (Then again, very little of that was spent. To me, it was more about realizing that a given alt only had a few plat and wanting to give that toon a bit of a safety net, metaphorically speaking. Well, that and not having to use my main to give them yet another bailout loan*. :rolleyes: )

* I would say that my main seems to be the only one of my characters that has any financial sense, but I realize that if I did so, that wouldn't imply good things about my sanity. :eek: :D :p
    Alenna likes this.
  9. Ahupu Well-Known Member

Don't worry Rotherian there are plenty of other reasons to doubt your sanity one more is hardly a real concern :D.
    flameweaver likes this.
  10. Arielle Nightshade Well-Known Member

My alts get so many bailout loans, and not one of them has accounted for what they spent it on. It's pretty annoying.
  11. Cisteros Active Member

the sole purpose of alts is to part mains from their plat
  12. seneth Active Member

Mine seem to have taken a speed coin release program!:confused:
  13. Rotherian Well-Known Member

FIFY.
    _____

Back on topic:

From what I've heard from people that use Kronos and people that use game cards, as long as you have a gold subscription, it doesn't matter how it was obtained - you can still redeem the tokens for the plat bag. I don't rule out the possibility that they were lying to me, but I don't really see what they would gain by doing so. o_O
  14. Mae- Well-Known Member

Why act ashamed of this admission? Let's be honest, what else is there for long-term vets to buy with those loyalty tokens? I have 25 saved in case anything worthwhile actually ever shows up, The rest go to plat bags cuz I don't care about or need anything else. Tho I have heard that ethereals can drop from the legendary chests, so I might pick those up as well.
  15. Elostirion Well-Known Member

Agreed. That, and the deleterious effect on the economy will occur whether or not you abstain from buying the bags yourself. The only thing you do by not buying the bags yourself is you make your own currency store devalue faster.

The bag should not be there, or it should be radically reduced to something like 5P. (that's still a 1P quest reward for doing a very easy quest, very generous). Since it is there, you kinda have to buy it. And the utilization rates that SoE can datamine should bear me out. They should reduce the plat reward until players are 'meh' about buying the bag. Then the reward is correct.
  16. Elostirion Well-Known Member

This is a highly technical term from utility theory. Sorry about nerding it up in here.
    Ahupu likes this.
  17. Ahupu Well-Known Member

ROFL Elostirion
  18. Airos Active Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't it only be bad for the economy if it's actually in circulation? Granted I'm not even close to "end game" content, but I was under the impression that there were some hefty money sinks to remove coin from circulation. On the other hand, if that's not true, then all the coin in the world means more or less nothing if there's nothing to spend it on.
  19. Rotherian Well-Known Member

Those work, to a point, when the largest inflow of plat is coming from the group of people that also utilize the plat drains the most (because that results in a lower net surplus of plat added to the economy). However, when an alternate source of inflow exists without a corresponding drain, a higher net surplus occurs. This higher surplus, in turn, results in drastically higher prices for goods (inflation).

Elostirion could probably explain it better. I understand, to some degree, about money theory; Elostirion, iirc, is an economist.

If there are any errors in what I have posted, I'm certain Elostirion can identify them.
    Elostirion likes this.
  20. Elostirion Well-Known Member

This is indeed true up to a point. Money which just sits in people's banks might as well not exist for the purposes of measuring inflation. One problem is that such currency is still liquid, and could re-enter circulation at a whim.

Another problem is the nature of 'money sinks' in games of this type. They are all only temporarily relevant.

When you have a gold piece to your name, a 5 silver 'money sink' to pay your inn room rent is indeed an effective money sink. When you have a hundred thousand plat, 5 silver is completely meaningless. There's the crux of the problem with money sinks as a strategy. Any money sinks (doesnt matter how large) that the dev's invent are set to a specific value that might be relevant at the instant they were invented. Money still comes into the game at a rate bounded only by the amount of time all players in aggregate are willing to spend bringing money into the game. Even at this stage in this game's life cycle, that is a very very large number. Also, the more effective that money sinks are when they are first implemented, the more they inspire players to be more skilled and more diligent in farming up more currency to overcome them.

The conclusion is that the faucet/drain economic model is completely unsustainable in the long term. Developer hours will always lose to player hours. There are even more losing angles than this one, but this is long enough for now. Suffice to say that your last sentence is correct, but there's also another side to it. If everyone has all the coin in the world, then coin is useless. Developers cannot fix that problem with the tools they gave themselves in the current paradigm of games of this type, but they can definitely make it worse.

'zat help?