Why I probably wont go to EQ Next

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by Celidur, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Celidur Member

• No levels
    • No traditional gear drops (no working for that rare drop)
    • No skills required to play a class (probably just a set of buttons like guild wars) face rollers rejoice!
    • Not crazy about the stylized characters vs the more realistic ones we have in EQ2
    • No prestige about being a certain skill level at your class, as now anyone can be anything at the push of a button
    Over the years they have dumbed down the EverQuest franchise to appeal to the casual players (for example no real consequence to die) plus a ton of others, they are removing any sort of goals in the game, and trying to replace it with world interaction and Old EQ lore which in it self is a good notion.. but with no meat and potatoes in the game I do not see a point, I enjoy this game as it requires skill and time to achieve something .

By doing this I'm sure they are saving a ton of resources needed to update the game future wise which sounds like a good model, I have signed up for beta but these are my concerns

Maybe I'm a traditionalist but I think it will be EverQuest Next Last for me
    Baarbossa and Prethicre like this.
  2. Ucala Well-Known Member

eh, I will probably be going, but I have concerns about the combat/no level system/style of the game. but than again it's ftp and I can't truly judge until played
    Kalderon likes this.
  3. Skwor Active Member

LOL I agree with most of what you posted if I were to sum up the above it sounds like a console game ported to PC.
    Kuulei, Slayan, ConcealFate and 4 others like this.
  4. Prethicre New Member

Good post bruv, many share the concerns.

Who knows if they can manage it as a magnified plane of rock/paper/scissors & chess x 20.

I personally feel factions are being abused as gimmicks in a way, to have classes at all tied to them.

I definitely think more pressing adventure-based exclusives should be relegated to factions, with choice opened up for balance from the onset.
  5. Nicolos Active Member

We were given no clue on how gear will or will not drop yet you already don't want to play due to this? Also no skill to play based on what? You only have 8 buttons? EQ1 had 8 buttons too and it required far more skill than EQ2 ever has with its 50+ buttons. As far as levels go, is there really that much prestige in being max level anyway? People are PLed in a matter of hours to that level and next month they are just giving away almost max leveled toons so yeah, I'd much rather have something else to feel prestigious about.

The fact is, EQNext is going to be different. They are concerned with making the game appealing to the masses so it HAS to be different since the masses obviously don't play here. Take a look around the internet. People are extremely impressed with EQNs presentation. The only negative i have seen is from EQ2s current players and sorry, but they aren't the target audience anyway. EQN has some amazing ideas and if they pull off what they plan to do then they will be a major success.
  6. Celidur Member

that's your opinion and I have mine, that's all there is to it.. I do not see any ability to retain players in the long term of which traditionaly the EverQuest name is known for.

By the way its hype all around the internet that's all it is, SOE made some good moves promoting before it was actually revealed
    Baarbossa likes this.
  7. Deveryn Well-Known Member

They didn't just make good moves promoting the game, they seem to have made something worth promoting. No matter what level of success or failure it has, they finally brought something new and exciting to a dull over-saturated genre.
  8. Raff Well-Known Member

I'll probably give it a try...until being a disney character just get to be too much.
    Vlahkmaak likes this.
  9. Baarbossa Active Member

I predict a massive amount of accounts at launch like swtor and rift...then a massive fall out... build a game that is still played 10 to 14 years down the line or build one that is dead within a few months...my business degree is some how leaning me to believe SOE is making a huge mistake.
    Kuulei and Malleria like this.
  10. Louly Well-Known Member

I just look at GW2 and the disaster that was and then I look at EQN and I see to many similarities. I wasted
    a big chunk of money on GW2 Collectors for nothing. It's probably to early to tell but from what I see right now
    I don't think I'll play EQN.
  11. Deveryn Well-Known Member

They've already built two games that have lasted 9 and 14 years. I think the company with the most experience is going to at least put out a halfway decent product. Other games like GW2 and SWTOR were too short-sighted in their endeavors. SOE knows longevity.
  12. Gourdon Well-Known Member

For those that aren't intrigued by EQNext, you can continue to kill static, predictable Mob Boss X over and over I guess. I don't understand how you're not bored to death by MMOs at this point, but whatever.
    EQOAnostalgia likes this.
  13. Vlahkmaak Active Member

Yes, you are partially right here. On my EQ1 necro I had to know which spell gems I was going to need loaded to get from A to B if I was not porting, Which spell gems I might need for certain groups and which for my kiting spec. Later, as the game advanced in age AA allowed us to add spell gems, also add hot button spells, and even eventually save spell book set ups to quickly change on the fly.

EQ2 just introduced all spells available on multiple hot bars. One does not really use 50 different spells. 15-20 maybe most of those being temps/buffs with a normalized maybe 10 solid CA/spells that get used frequently depending on class. Yes more are available but not always needed in any given situation. EQ2 allowed a lot of on the fly customization with the multitude of hot bar features from gear set ups back in the day when we had different macros for poison/disease/fire/cold etc resist needs in addition to dps/defensive tanking gear macros.

Many people on this forum love the direction SOE is going. Some of us just do not. We were hoping for the next great intricate realistically detailed/stylized fantasy D&D game with interweaving stats, class dependence, and trash mobs that make you walk around holding their belt loops. This is why I am disappointed.

Does EQN have some neat features? Yes. Does EQN remind me of an SK at the height of TSO - yes. Does this disappoint me - yes. Do I have several million dollars to just develop my own niche game - no. Will I try EQN/look at it - yes: My kids are thrilled by it - I am not.
  14. Ucala Well-Known Member

eh, it's not so much about doing the fights the same. it's that it's a whole new direction, a direction that I feel might not be fun.
    I was hyped about eqnext for a long time, telling people that I am just hanging around eq2 until eqnext comes. now I am like "eh..." I mean I will still probably go and try it, but I will probably not be amused for long.
    it's about eqnext being similar to eq2. which atm it doesn't look like it. There is a reason why I keep playing eq2 with it's "same mob boss X over and over" against other MMOs. just saying
  15. ITPalg Member

It sounds to me like you are part of the crowd stuck in the rut of the level grind, expecting your MMOG to have levels.
    The first hugely successful MMOG didn't/doesn't have levels. It was/is skill-based.

Your second point I have no idea about. I have not read anything about "no traditional gear drops". I watched SoE Live and don't remember a thing about that subject.

Third point: No skills required to play a class? I think you are making judgements based on very little that was shown.

Fourth: Although I would love an Eve Online character generator style graphics, which they still haven't implemented walking in stations for, imagine the demands that kind of resolution would take on you and the people around you in-game. The main point people have brought up is this kind of graphics keeps hardware requirements in check for the long term.

Last point: You are back talking about level-based games vs skill-based games.

Firefall removed tiers from the battleframes in closed beta and is shooting (pun intended) for a more horizontal progression system. There are no "levels" in the game.

Just like the first MMOG I mentioned, and the "spiritual" follow up the creator is involved in now, he says that in that and this game his intention is that the character is YOU. YOU do whatever you want and what you DO is what you are.

[IMG]
    Tyndaleon likes this.
  16. knightritalin Active Member

[IMG]
    EQOAnostalgia likes this.
  17. Venur Active Member

The first video game was pong and it had a huge succes, does it mean that a new version of pong would be a good idea nowadays ?

EQN sound like Diablo 4 the more I hear about it.
  18. Vlahkmaak Active Member

Skills are just another incarnation of levels. They accomplish the same end goal of building an avatar whether it is across the y-axis (levels), x-axis (skills), or z-axis (alternate advancement systems) of character growth. It is only different in the minds of persons who are not looking at it holistically.

The devs as much as said there would be artificial barriers in place that require a certain gear/skill matrix. I could be wrong but I am pretty sure that is what I heard at the class panel. I pretty much turned them off and started sipping Coronas to self medicate myself after Dave would not give out further information on the Trolls and most of the rest of the panels Deftone and I were on auto pilot.
  19. Ucala Well-Known Member

3D real life action pong
  20. ITPalg Member

You clearly don't know how to compare apples to apples.