SC Business side of things.

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Avianna, Mar 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Avianna Well-Known Member

Dexella Said:
    Being a game that is now free-to-play, we have an opportunity to entice new members to join, as well as bring old players back, to Norrath. New players and returning players benefit everyone -- more people in the cities, more people to group with, more friends to make. All of this is great for the game.

Part of being free-to-play means finding ways of generating revenue so that we can continue to pay the business-side costs (like employing the awesome designers who make the game you love!). While we'd love to do this just for the love of game, the fact is, if we're not making any money, the game will shut down -- and no one wants that!

That's where Station Cash comes in, whether in the Marketplace or through on-demand features like this repair button. We're constantly looking for ways to provide you with items that you find interesting and useful, and that enhance your EQ2 experience. Not everyone will find every specific feature interesting or useful, and if that's the case for you, don't use those features. :)

My Response:
    I fully acknowledge that the company needs to make money, no problems with that. I am all for SOE making money to produce a better game. I have been supporting this game with my wallet for 8 years on multiple accounts and have no complaints toward that. Furthermore, the repair button in itself is a good idea, the failure comes in specifically when you remove the forgiveness potion then charge three times as much for half the product. That by itself is what makes the difference in a nutshell, that turned a great idea into a negative experience. It is those types of negative experiences that continue to happen and those are what people hear about the game. That is what needs to be turned around. That is what will bring your customers back far more than the coolest content you could imagine.

If you water the tree you have left rather than try to squeeze the last bit of juice from the fruit you will find the tree will flourish in years to come and there will be plenty of juice for everyone.
  2. Terein Active Member

The team is smaller than it's ever been and server costs are a fraction of what they used to be. I'm kind of surprised the community isn't outraged by that kind of a response, I guess they're used to SoE pushing SC all over their game without a real way to defend it.

Well, I mean that little button lost my $15 a month, I hope people accidentally clicking it make up the difference!!
  3. Estred Well-Known Member

Sums up the issue I feel almost all players who are outraged at this service feel.
  4. Ladymist Well-Known Member

Where did you pull this quote from? When was it posted?
    **and all sc is, is fluff money for fluff things. Not needed at all to play so how is this squeezing the last bit of juice out of players lol
  5. Estred Well-Known Member

Dexella's post came from the "Please help us test the new SC-Repair Feature!" thread (that is close to but not the exact title). At the end she stated that and closed the thread.

Edit: Sorry I missread your post, nevermind.
  6. Ladymist Well-Known Member

ah don't think this should be a thread then since it is someone responding to a thread that was closed since they couldn't respond in the thread?
  7. Geothe Active Member

Yeah, it definitely is a shady move for SoE.
    But, not suprised they did it.
    I'm actually suprised they havent done more of such things yet.
  8. Avianna Well-Known Member

do you have anything productive to add to the topic or just trolling for the fun of it?
  9. Feldon Well-Known Member

It's not hard to find the quote.
    The giant button in the Character window, even if you are a Gold subscriber. Please make yourself aware of the actual issues being discussed.
  10. Endara Member

I think simply allowing gold players to selectively disable/remove these point-of-need SC buttons would go a long way to silencing the criticisms and making everyone happy.

Incidentally, on the subject of purchasing services, I would happily spend SC on the potions of progress (the tradeskill ones). I would even be happy to have a point-of-need button for them. But repairs for 150SC? That's just insulting.
    Elostirion likes this.
  11. Dexella Associate Producer

Hey folks,

Please keep in mind our forum guidelines which prohibit cross-posting (which includes re-opening discussion on a locked topic). Since this thread is in violation of our posting rules, it will be locked as well.

Thanks.
    ~Dexella
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.