Are Grouping dead ?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by CyberWolf, Mar 11, 2013.

1. CyberWolf New Member

I have see it so much, if someone search Group, than only for PL or Lev 95 Areas. Were is the Time with the good old Group Leveling with the same Level ?? I know it is easier if you found a High Player who Leveled you at the Dungeons. But after the Krono Stones comes it is to expensive for beginners.

So Idea
    Group Bonus (no Mercs):
    Per Char +5% Drop Bonus 50% for a Full Group
    Per Char more Items at a Chest (Double Drop of the same Item too)
    Per Char +10% EXP Bonus 100% for a Full Group
    Per Char who does the same Quest +20% EXP QuestBonus
    0% Bonus if there is someone at the Group who is Higher than 20 Levels and Mentordown on a Groupmember (not with a Chronomage, than it is the Normal Bonus for the Group)
  2. Estred Well-Known Member

The issue for that is 90% of the Player-Base is level 90+ and they don't like to go back and do old content. It already if super fast to level to max without a PL (2-4 weeks game time if you are a fresh-account) as compared to months like it was at launch.

I will agree it is expensive to start (plat wise) but much of the content can be solo/duo'd by a pair of new-players. Really the best way to get low-level groups is to get an influx of new players by bringing in friends. Many of the high-level players have already leveled 2-4 characters the "normal" way and are tired of doing it so the look to PL... thus making it more popular and appear to be the only option.

Your idea is interesting and were I with more time before my classes today I would think awhile and offer feedback but I cannot atm, so I have given what I think the issue is behind the non-existence of low level groups.
  3. Pixiewrath Active Member

Biggest reason why high level players dont want to mentor lowbies they dont know IRL or get paid for is because mentoring is very powerful so if they want to run an old zone, like I do a lot to quest or just for fun, they just solo it. Adding the mercs even further take away grouping.

I don't see the point of looking for a group for example Temple of Cazic Thule in the Feerrott when I can just go in there myself and nuke away. Doing lvl 80-ish raids can be fun though because some of them need more players in the scripts or are just pretty hard if you don't play as a healer or tank.
  4. SteelPiston Active Member

Mercs killed grouping. It was kind of bad before mercs, but they were the last straw that broke the donkey's back. You don't need a group at all for mentored down low content. I can do the full Epic Repercussions questline with just a merc right up to and killing the queen. New players are pretty much on their own for doing the low level stuff. I suggest they find a low level friend or buy AoD and use the mercs.

Grouping is really only done now at level 92+ for CoE heroic instances. None of the CoE advanced solo instances needs a group (unless to are terribad),as a merc is more than enough for you to blow those up. Dreadcutter takes what...5 minutes to clear with a merc? Chelsith takes the longest to clear, but not because it is hard, but because it's so big.
  5. Estal Well-Known Member

Low level dungeons are also very unattractive for groups as they do not support more than one group at a time, really if someone else is already in a low level dungeon players just keep tripping over each other, take Temple of Cazic Thule for example, one level appropriate player with merc (or a group of 2 lvl app players) can kill all nameds faster than the first one respawns, leading to a lot of idle time even if its just one group, now imagine the frustration of someone else showing up at the same zone.

As for max level, its really all about joining a large guild, majority of groups that do happen happen within guilds and are never advertised in public chat channels in the first place.
  6. Adevil Well-Known Member

>I can do the full Epic Repercussions questline with just a merc right up to and killing the queen.

Interesting. What merc/class combo works for that since I've yet to find one that can molo the queen. Maybe I"m just lame.
  7. Derfel Active Member

Paladin with Inquisitor merc can molo the queen. The trick is to put the merc in neutral and sink an arrow (only one) into the queen and then wait non violently for the dragon buff. After that you can either let the merc do his thing (gets himself squished sometimes) or micro mange him during the various stages.
  8. Derfel Active Member

Also as far as grouping being dead goes, I think it's more that pick up groups are wounded (though not quite dead). Low level encounters, including some raid content, can be moloed so there isn't much appeal there except for grinding coin (worse with more people) or status (better with more people if they're in your guild). At current levels, the age of the game has resulted in much of the population having regular crews to hit dungeons, so those folks don't do a lot of pick ups.
  9. Terein Active Member

Honestly it's getting to the point where it's even difficult to find groups for anything other than ST, DC, and HE. This content is already dead and gone, with nothing to replace it until April at the earliest.
  10. Estred Well-Known Member

It's because they all award the exact same Loot... which was a mistake.

Easy Zones: Award 166 loot (I am ballparking)
    - DC
    - Temple
    - Throne

Medium Zones: Award 169 Loot
    - Chelsith
    - Sleepers Tomb

Hard Zones Award 173 (almost equivialnt to Steward Gear but slightly lower)
    - Harrows End (Imo should be a Medum zone only Oligar/Drinal are a pain in Heroic)
    - Wurmbones End
    - Wurmbones Crag

Again I am just ballparking or at least getting the idea out. Heroic should have an Easy -> Challenging progression so players want to run the harder/longer zones for better loot.
  11. Meaghan Stormfire Well-Known Member

Kind of. Chelsith is as easy as Dreadcutter, only much longer. I'd move HE down to medium. Oligar is really simple once you know how to do it. But otherwise, I agree. What's the point in doing WBE or HE when it drops the same stuff as Dreadcutter and Chelsith.
  12. Estred Well-Known Member

Yeah the length is why I put Chelsith as medium, its not hard. Just tedious. I agree Harrow's ins't hard. Not compared to the WB zones.
  13. Rotherian Well-Known Member

I think it was the classholes* that dealt the killing blow. Mercs just disconnected the life support.

* The kind of people that think that you have to have a specific classes in the group makeup (as opposed to certain necessary roles) to even consider running a zone.
    Ladymist likes this.
  14. Estred Well-Known Member

Yeah, Roth... I can agree about those who would spend 1 hour waiting on that mystical bard/chanter rather than grab another dps and go. It bothers me, heck I ran Chelsith with 2 tanks recently... worked fine.
  15. Mattly New Member

This is really discouraging to hear. I have been gone from EQ2 for a few years and was currently downloading the updates to return when I read this. It sounds like if I came back I would no chance of getting anything done in-game if grouping is completely dead now.

If that is the case, EQ2's days must be numbered if there isn't any flow of new players or especially a community of veteran players willing to help what few new players try the game. The lack of the last part only speeds up the inevitable for the game if the community is full of self-serving elitists.

On a side note, Mercs don't sound like a bad feature, but in the current age of F2P, I wouldn't spend X amount of RL money on a game I haven't played in forever right off the bat.
  16. SentinelBasch Active Member

Just like any other MMO, EQ2 has its share of elitists. However, it does not appear to be as rampant as in other games I've played, like WoW.

Here's the thing about grouping - it's really not necessary until the endgame, with or without mercenaries. I have not used a single mercenary, and have been able to solo all group content that I've encountered thus far. Without a merc, yes, it's longer and more difficult, but possible. If you have a merc, it will be much smoother.

I'm on one of the least populated servers, but have not had trouble finding group mates for low level content when I've wanted it. The mentoring system greatly helps with this. It can be hard to find people, but it's not impossible. And the community on my server is for the most part very friendly and helpful.

My advice to you - try the game out. You can get very far in the game on the F2P side, and now SOE is lifting even more of the restrictions. It won't cost you any real-life money, and then you can see if it's worth it to you. You won't need to purchase the CoE expansion until Level 85, and there's nothing in the AoD expansion that you must have in order to enjoy the game. AoD might end up being something you really want, but you have a lot of game to play before you even have to make that decision. Then you can decide for yourself whether or not you want to stick around.

Good luck to you, and hope you decide to give it another go.
    Estred likes this.
  17. Kraeref Well-Known Member

I can use templar only on follow all icons uncllicked for only healing on my coercer with pet or sometimes without pet. On fury i use the same merc templar Krivok but fully engaged in combat for protection. You just have to survive 4 sets of adds. Queen herself is easy.
  18. Tylia Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that it is really only a minority of players that are vocal on these forums. Don't let the "doom and gloom" naysayers scare you off. Give the game another shot and form your own opinion. Maybe try creating a character on AB or Freeport or Crushbone (the 3 highest population servers I think) and see how it goes. You are going to find self-serving elitists on any server, but they can be easily ignored, and there are plenty of very friendly and helpful players out there. ;)
  19. Mattly New Member

Thanks for the replies to my post earlier. I believe my characters got merged to AB so that will be where I will give the game another shot.
    Tylia likes this.
  20. Kalmaraa Active Member

Oddly what some folks are missing here is that mercs actually lower your XP gain, while grouping does not. In fact if you group with someone that has to mentor to you, mind you NOT chrono but mentor, you get a XP bonus. Those that sell power leveling services tend to over look this little known thing that can help those wanting to power level characters faster. As such grouping provides better options then just running around with a merc in the long run.