Why did they change glider controls?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by A. McDivot, Mar 2, 2013.

1. A. McDivot New Member

My glider was my favorite mount. Not so much, now. Can anyone explain how the new controls are better? Does anyone prefer them? Is it possible to get an option to have the old controls back?
  2. Wingrider01 Well-Known Member

3. The_Cheeseman Well-Known Member

Personally, I never used gliders because they were so unwieldy. I vividly recall riding a glider around Stonebrunt Highlands one evening, and after merely stepping off of a 2ft. high rock, I went gliding over the side of the island to my doom. That was the last time I ever used a glider.

So yeah, personally I like the new controls, as it provides a little more... well, control. Maybe they'll actually feel like an honest upgrade to leapers now, rather than just a unique distraction to play with for a few minutes before getting back to actual travel.
    Jamagh, Emms and Finora like this.
  4. Elladria New Member

True, going into glide mode off of a low incline or rock was a little annoying. But overall you now have LESS control over your glider with the changes they made. All they had to do was not have it auto glide until after you leaped and that would have solved your problem. they didn't need the toggle, the toggle ruined it. You now have LESS control on decent than you did before because you can no longer turn with glide off whereas before you could turn while holding the space bar to decend. To do a controlled decent now you have to keep hitting the space bar to toggle glide, and if you are in a bank when you toggle it off, you instantly STOP banking - this is LESS CONTROL, not more.. Gliders used to have the best flight model in the game, now it's a travesty of stupidity that was changed without input from players, big surprise there. This is another ill thought out change from SOE that's realy screwed up a wonderful mount for those of us that enjoyed them. I guess I will be parking them all on my back porch or something until it's fixed.
  5. Rotherian Well-Known Member

Your glider experience was apparently different than mine, I guess. I tried to use one for all of about 5 minutes, then went back to using the leaper for my toons that are less than lvl 85. The previous glider controls weren't at all intuitive (to me) - I haven't tested the new ones to see if the glider controls are any better.

If they are worse, then my gliders will remain in the stable. If they are the same level of intuitiveness (i.e. very little), then my gliders will remain in the stable. I guess in the long run, if they decide to tweak them again, it will probably be due to something they see when analyzing play statistics - not from claims made upon the forum. (Not saying that people would lie on the forums, just that the game usage statistics allow non-biased analysis.)
    Emms likes this.
  6. Rainmare Well-Known Member

the gliders are/were horrible. even TOUCHING the turn key put you in a 90 degree tailspin. they were/are damn near impossible to control if you weren't moving strictly in a straight line. and yes, the walking off a pebble putting you into a glide was also a big issue. now you might not have had control issues, but no one I have ever met uses a glider because of how insanely difficult they were to control, especially compared to a leaper or a straight flying mount.
    Cyliena and Emms like this.
  7. Mohee Active Member

I mainly used my glider mount in Sundered Frontier and Stonebrunt Mountains and Early part of DoV. I don't like them in other zones.

I'd use a leaper in Sundered Frontier, grab all the quests, go out and do the quests, when ready to turn them all in, i'd find a nearby tall rock/ledge, swap to glider, and glide back into Paineel. Same thing in Stonebrunt. Then switch back to leaper.

I found using left and right keys on keyboard made it turn to fast. So when in the air, I would hold mouse-right click and gently move the mouse to turn slightly as needed. It just takes a little getting used to it to only have to barely move the mouse to start turning slowly.

But yeah, in general, think they still need a lot of tweaking to be considered useful by most players. Even after the changes (i know more people dislike the change more than like) o_O
  8. Jrel Well-Known Member

I've thoroughly complained (sent multiple feedbacks) about gliders when they first came out, and every time a new alt got one. They Don't Care about how uncontrollable the turning is, even though Gliders are supposed to be an upgrade to Leapers.
    Emms likes this.
  9. redwoodtreesprite Well-Known Member

Drives my husband crazy sometimes, but I refuse to use my gliders. They are very cute however, so I just convert them into housing items. I use my leaper when I need to, but prefer my ground mount. Until level 85, then it is wings from then on.
    Cyliena and Emms like this.
  10. Terein Active Member

I normally use the gliders under 85, never had a problem controlling them. The new change actually reduces overall control, not sure why they would make a change like that, it's not a deal breaker I guess but it is annoying. :\
  11. Arieste Well-Known Member

just fyi, gliders aren't supposed to be an upgrade to leapers. the DEVs have stated that each mount has its purpose.

It took me HOURS of circling around in the Guild Hall to learn how to properly use a glider. It wasn't easy, but at least it was doable once you figured it out. It's a very specific mount. It has - by a large margin - the fastest speed of any mount and is extremely good for moving quickly across certain types of terrain.

One of the best uses of the mount was - as has been mentioned - long descents. I particularly remember jumping off a ledge near the GD PQ spot and gliding from there right to the TOFS entrance - across the entire ocean!

It did require a fix for going into glide mode on any kind of small jump, but totally gimping controlled descent in the process was not a good fix. I would suggest changing it from a toggle to just an "activation", where you hit a button (not SPACE) to "activate" glide, but to de-activate it, you need to actuall land. (SPACE would go back to being used to speed up the fall)

p.s. i have no idea why the abbreviation for "Great Divide" is censored...
    Emms likes this.
  12. Finora Well-Known Member

And just to answer the OP, they probably are messing around with the glider controls because since gliders were implemented they've gotten huge amounts of negative feedback about the way the function.
  13. Meaghan Stormfire Well-Known Member

The glider controls were/are horrible. I'd buy the flying squirrel glider if I didn't hate using gliders so much.
    Cyliena and Jrel like this.
  14. Snowhaze Active Member

Tried the glider once in the zone I quested for it and never brought it out again, I only had a leaper and ground mounts at the time, and the leaper is just so hard to beat before actual fliers.
    Emms likes this.
  15. Terein Active Member

Wow I was actually using the glider a bit last night, I changed my mind this is a deal breaker, these new controls are TERRIBLE. :(
  16. Jrel Well-Known Member

^^This. I got one, and love its animations (and the other lizard-thingy glider), but I don't use them because gliding is a pain in this game, and turning on a glider SHOULD BE EASIER than the fliers.
    Emms likes this.
  17. Elladria New Member

OK. For those of you that have been having trouble saying you can't turn them at all or it's way too fast: STOP USING the keyboard to fly them, it doesn't work. Use your mouse and it's beautiful, easily the best (only ) flight model in the game. Fliers don't fly, they simply move in any direction, there IS a difference. The only changes they needed to make was to not go automatically into glide when stepping off a rock. Everything else was fine, REALLY. I've taught many people that didn't like them how to fly them. It's really not hard - you can master it in 10 minutes.

Well..you could before they screwed it up.

PLEASE CHANGE IT BACK .
  18. Terein Active Member

I use the keyboard, every key tap adds an increment to the turn, you tap the keys, you don't hold them. Not being able to stop it's ascent severely reduces overall control though. :(
    Emms likes this.
  19. Emms Member

I really do agree that space should note be used to activate gliding. Problem I'v seen is that they use the command suspend safe fall (or what it was called) I think it's not logic as suspend safefall make you fall down faster and I there for want to bind that motion to End or PageDN and have upward motions on space such as jump, swim up or leap up in the air. I wish they didn't use the suspend safefall to toogle gliding or leaping. Before this change I had a key mapping I was really have with but since I can't use it as I **** for example combine suspend safefall and move down as then leaping and gliding don't work.

I never use keyboard to try to fly them, except for space if I'm to lazy to swap profile in my mouse as I have a thumb button for it then. Using a mouse don't make it a bit easier to control. Even if trying to control it with a mouse if I start turning it don't sems to stop until it spiralled down to ground. If I nudge my mouse to the left I want to turn a bit to left then stop the turning motion and move forward as the other mounts do.

I think gliding mount for it to be used should be more in line with flying mount, don't make it spin around make it only torn as the player holds a turning key or as the player moves the mouse. It's spinning that make this so uncontrollable for me. My husband thought that airplains have slower reaction times both to start move and stop move and I can see the idea of that If I would make a 50minutes glide travel from etherner to kunark. But gliders acting and spinning like this make then only useful for a few players in a few situations. This game should be fun to play can't expect every player to practise to hours to be able to use it.
    To seperate suspend safefall and start air travel shouldn't be a inconviniense fora great mass of players as ppl are free to bind them at same place but leave option to others to do diffrently.
    As some like gliders as they are make a alternative control version, for example make spinning a toggleable option, if not toggled it would turn in same way a flying mount would.
  20. Rotherian Well-Known Member

Because it is also the abbreviation for something similar to Gosh Darnit.