Please SOE add these 2 things for f2p players

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Muddles, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Sixgauge Well-Known Member

There really should be a text book published for SOE math.
  2. Rotherian Well-Known Member

Not to be a jerk, but are you really griping about a difference of 25 cents? o_O
  3. Ridolain Active Member

I can see them adding a default healer or merc mercenary one could take from Qeynos or Freeport.

And the Defiant armor is something that came in that rivals the new area armor quests in EQ. Thing is, EQ2 suffers from the same thing. Instead of FIXING or UPDATING the old areas, they just slapped in a tutorial in the Gloomingdeep Mines which goves you a full set of armor, great weapons, and a merc etc. And then people bypass the great part of the game which is lower level areas and content.

New players in F2P should be able to get some descent armor from the beginner areas like New Halas or Gorowyn.
  4. redwoodtreesprite Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that often those unlock packs are half off due to rebate sales. So then they are much cheaper that the 25SC unlocks.
  5. Naychan Member

Um NO and NO, Old content is more then playable in treasured or hand crafted. Merc's are a premimum, feel free to purchase the expac and get a sub like the rest of us did. I have no issue with FTP peeps but serisouly they have to pay thier employees, Server tech's, ISP's and a slew of things I'm not mentioning. Yes its a game and I pay to support it so I can keep on playing it. If they gave away everything the game itself would go away cause it would not be profitable to keep it going.
  6. Finora Well-Known Member

I can definately think of a few things they could do to make things better for F2P players, but these two things are nowhere on that list.

Everyone can get mercenaries IF the buy the Age of Discovery pack. Paying players don't get merc's for free, why should F2P players?

All old world content is perfectly playable by any one who bothers to do it. You pick yourself up a cheap set of handcrafted & you can do anything not a raid through at the very least level 50. If you get mastercrafted you can likely do the raids. The gear we used to get in the raids is worse than mastercrafted these days through at least Echos of Faydwer, probably Kunark & TSO as well, but I've not compared those. Certainly far superior than anything raiders got in the original game (to level 50), DOF (lvl 60) and KOS (lvl 70).

Unless you raid at the high end, there is no reason for a F2P player to even bother buying unlockers until they are 85+ (for spells) and 90 + for gear unless you just really really want something equipped.
  7. Skwor Active Member

Two weeks ago I started an alt Inquisitor for fun and a project to 95. I used only quested gear and whatever spells that dropped for my inqy as upgrades for my spells up to 60 and no merc. This left me with a lot of apprentice level spells. I was able to crush the game and face-roll all blue content all the way to 60 I finally made some basic master-crafted and went merc + bought adepts just to speed things up. My toon is now level 80. The game is very easy and fun below level 80 there is no need for armor upgrades in those levels
  8. Naelael New Member

It's ridiculous that AoD still needs to be purchased. Quite honestly, the only reason I am not a gold subscriber to EQ2 is the fact that if I buy the latest expansion, that one is not included. I was all set to buy CoE and go with a gold sub, then I found that the last expac is still locked so I said screw it. I'm sure people are going to say things like "we don't want you anyways" or 'It's only $30". Whatever. $60 buy in + monthly sub to play a free to play game?! No thanks. Thats crazy. Not to mention I already BOUGHT all the other EQ2 expacs one by one as they came out.
  9. Estred Well-Known Member

AoD is NOT required to play the game unless you intend to use the Reforging System which is pretty much only "required" for Challenge Mode Raiding. You can easily do Heroic Level and Normal Mode Raid content without the AoD Feature Pack.

Or you really, REALLY, want to use a Mercenary to help you level... but you don't need one it just takes a smidge more time to level normally, except the merc isn't siphoning your XP.
    Tylia and Finora like this.
  10. Muddles New Member

Actually, I was asking for mercs not to make the blue mobs easier but easier to do group content so that 2-3 friends can easily do group content. Heck, it might even make dungeon finder useful.

Everquest already has mercs for f2p and they are used widely.
  11. Finora Well-Known Member

And as I stated earlier, everyone has to buy the feature pack that includes mercs if they want to use mercs. They are not a gold feature. If you want to use a merc on a free/silver account you have to do exactly what gold account players have to do, buy Age of Discovery.

Everquest added mercs something like 5 expansions ago. The base F2P includes the expansion that introduced mercenaries. If eq2 F2P starts including the feature pack (not even a real expansion with content) that added beastlords & mercs, then you'll get them. I doubt they will be doing that though, at least not soon. Maybe after we get another expansion or if they do another rework of how they plan to make money off the free players, possibly after EQNext is released.

Another thing is the vast majority of content (even heroic stuff) is duoable up to TSO. Honestly a lot of it is soloable if you have at least mastercrafted gear. Some of those TSO dungeons are tough though. If you have a healer as part of your duo, then even more stuff becomes duoable.
    Tylia likes this.
  12. Sixgauge Well-Known Member

AoD really should be included... if you take the whole profit thing out of it... casual players need AoD for mercs to do level 95 content... and even to grind from 90-95; hardcore players need AoD for reforging. Anyone that crafts needs AoD, and anyone that wants to play a beastlord needs it.

The only people that don't need it are either not level 90+ or don't mind being gimpy.

I would even almost say, AoD should be included because of beastlords alone. By not including AoD, they might as well have beastlords on the marketplace for 20$. Same thing really. They are making you pay money for a class. Just like Freebloods except beastlords are "conveniently" (for SOE) packaged in an expansion pack instead of put on the marketplace... makes it seem more legit. But it's not.

I would bet 100p (if there was a way to prove it) that SOE is simply using AoD as a backdoor to making players pay for classes to avoid the raging if it was on the marketplace. A nice way of selling features without having to be obvious about it. Possibly even testing for future RMT models. I expect to see more of this in the future, if not in EQ2, then in EQ3... purchasing "unlockers" and "features" with money.

Why is AoD not included with the newest expansion, when all previous content has been rolled up into the latest expansions? Because they want to sell you these so-called optional features. They want to expand the marketplace and firmly integrate micro transactions into their business model. We are guinea pigs for developing their new RMT models. Personally, I say SOE can take their "feature packs" and shove it.
  13. Taysa Well-Known Member

No one NEEDS a merc. If you NEED a merc with the way itemization is, you are doing something very, very wrong.
  14. Terein Active Member

My coercer needed one, I couldn't solo anything in CoE until I got some CoE gear on. They had too much health! :(
  15. Rotherian Well-Known Member

Were you just trying to straight up DD the mobs down, or were you rooting, moving a decent distance away, then attacking, then repeating until mob death?
  16. Terein Active Member

Well let me rephrase myself, I couldn't solo anything in a time limit I was happy with, without a merc. ;)

It is a big gap to get over at first though until you get some CoE gear.
  17. Rotherian Well-Known Member

So, in essence, it was more preference than necessity?
  18. Onorem Active Member

What?
  19. Taysa Well-Known Member

This thread is about what F2P players "need." I haven't met a single F2P player who is doing CoE content.
  20. Darkholis Active Member

Do you actually know what Defiant armor is? or why it was first added for?

What's Defiant gear?

Defiant armor is basicly raid equipement with stats derived from high end made accessible to lower levels. You have a new set every 10 lvls starting at lvl 1. With defiant gear, you simply don't need to do anything but focus on AAs/levels. That gear actually drops like candy while killing any random mobs, so another reason to NOT run groups below 70s. (I'll explain why)

Why it exist in EQ1 and not EQ2?

That being said, it's been implemented to EQ1 because the game require grouping for pretty much anything. It is extremenly hard to solo (no merc/boxed toon) from 1-70 without grouping or exceptional gear, skills, trust me. I say 70s because past that lvl, Defiant gear is awful compared to what's available around. Just think about Revamped Guk items or the farm in DSH and you'll understand. Like EQ2, most of the playerbase play at high levels only and I rarely seen groups below 70s (mostly alts at that point anyways). There is sometimes a rare one in Planes/DSH (Planes of Power / Dragonscale Hills) but that's it. So Defiant gear been added for quick leveling to higher levels, plain and simple.

There is no need for it in EQ2 because

1) Game is cake walk in terms of leveling. Hey, I've seen players getting from 1-95/320 in a single day. Takes months of work in EQ1 to reach max and you still have 10k AAs to grind anyways (unless you have a druid friend to PL you).

2) We already have Mastercrafted gear which is exactly what you're asking for. You can easily level 1-95 in MC gear np and actually, 92 MC gear is superior to most of the pre-drunder raid gear and it's accessible to f2p.