So, Weapons and Shields are coming to EQ2 Player Studio....

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Lament, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Lament Active Member

Having read SJ's tweet yesterday, I could not resist, just a bit of quick fun over a cuppa this morning.

[IMG]

576 tri's, just quick and dirty. Qeynos Guard Assemble! (I thought ttobey would appreciate this!)
    Dexella likes this.
  2. Estred Well-Known Member

Well heck I got some work to do. I have had so many concepts for blades/guards... though I really want to do helms. Are your ridges modeled or Normaled btw?
  3. Lament Active Member

It is all modelled, there is a slight "groove" between the bands. The texture is 512 x 512. This is a quick and dirty blender render with diffuse and spec only. If I make it properly. I would bake the grooves along with scuffs and bladenicks etc.

I have spent the morning playing about with it; and I might actually model this up properly for submission.
  4. Britefire New Member

Weapons and shields?!
    Huzzah! I have been hoping for this since it was announced, time to attempt to make some good looking staffs!
  5. Lament Active Member

And hairstyles....
  6. Escad Whisperwind New Member

Not that they're original, but seeing as eq2 is the future of eq1 at a time split I'd love to see the original epic 1.0s brought in as appearance items someday...
  7. Tekadeo Active Member

/Ponder whether it's possible for someone to create dual wield swords that sheathe across your back or maybe like a daisho and have two on one hip.
  8. Lament Active Member

You want Gavin's Pis'Aller x 2... they already do that
  9. Dexella Associate Producer

Here's a copy of the tweet from yesterday, for those who may have missed it:

"@Qixter: EQII player studio: hairstyles, swords and shields will be open soon for players to create! Soon = a couple weeks!"

Rest assured that once we're accepting submissions, we will notify you on the website, the forums, and on our official social media channels. :)
  10. Malleria Well-Known Member

<---would use that shield
  11. Lament Active Member

I have kinda ended up spending my whole day tinkering with it; it looks a ton betterer with only half the texturemap... updates soon!
  12. Malleria Well-Known Member

To be honest, it's not just the allusion to a certain superhero, it's a lot to do with the fact SOE just doesn't make a lot of good simple round shields. Recent shields are just a nightmare of intricacy, odd shapes, odd colors, or infuriatingly small bucklers. There hasn't been a round shield of late that I could genuinely see myself bashing an orcs face with. There are some decent ones from the past, but those are hindered with class restrictions, so the really nice ones aren't available to me.

Look forward to seeing the finished product!
  13. Estred Well-Known Member

Tbh, I like the intricacy myself. Simple things though are good. I always though one first test I would do would be a simple Tabard-roundshield. One with a cloth-crest fastened across the front proudly portraying the family sign.
  14. Lament Active Member

Well; here it is... 1/2 size texture over the scrub shot posted earlier....

[IMG]
  15. ColbyJack Well-Known Member

No way, hairstyles? For reals?

Someone needs to design a gorgeous pink wig stat, so Colby can feel like a pretty, pretty girl.

Also, it's wicked neat to see shields and stuff coming in. Know what would be rather cool, but hard to implement? A replacement arm weapon. Like something so evil it has just swallowed and taken over your entire arm, turning the limb into a bladed device of death.
    Also, a weapon disguised as plain white bandages on the wrist/hand would be awesome, so you could feel like you're truly a fist-punchy ball of awesome.
  16. Rainmare Well-Known Member

if I could figure out how to get blender to friggin work I might try my hand at Nature's Defender style sword.
  17. Tekadeo Active Member

Of course. I just want swords that look less dorky :p
  18. Lament Active Member

you don't like the "Hulk Smash" look? ^_^
  19. Lament Active Member

Ttobey is groaning at his desk as you type...
  20. ColbyJack Well-Known Member

The awesome thing about having ideas is that I don't have to worry about practicality. I just has to have them!

Also, while I love the shields, how about a few with some really nice decals painted on them? I don't recall seeing a basic roundshield or buckler with a nice, vivid painted design... or if there are, they are few and far between.
    [IMG]