Will of the Shiverback King - anyone bother using it?

Discussion in 'Fighters' started by Thorine, Dec 25, 2012.

1. Thorine New Member

As titel say. Is it even worth using it or should it be replaced?
    I've had mine for several weeks now and the progression is very slow. From what I have figured out, you need to take damage from a mob and then when the mob dies, the adorns are supposed to grow stronger. I've been running around in wreckless and stripped all buffs but nothing seems to help to make it grow faster.
    It doesn't seem to matter how much damage you take, 50 or 50k and the gain seems to be the same.
    I have really tried to get this adorn to level but it's only in the 40's% on lvl 1 and with this "speed" we will be in a new expansion before it's maxed out.
  2. Luhai Active Member

A fix for these adornments was announced for early january.
  3. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

I have it on my conjuror, actually. The end stats are not to sneeze at:

+46 str +46 agi +41 sta +46 int +46 wis
    +15% Attack Speed
    +18 Damage Per Second
    +2.7% Crit Bonus
    +2.4% Potency
    +0.6% Max Health
    +0.9% Mitigation Increase
    +1.2% Strikethrough

I'm leveling mine fast simply by getting out and doing the daily chronomage quests, or chronomaging down and destroying stuff in Runnyeye etc.

The key to this adorn is that it levels based on the DAMAGE YOU RECEIVE. Raid tanks don't get as much damage as you might think, because your armor and mitigation and healers block most of it. However, try gearing up in regular crafted or heroic armor and go out and do the adventure quests with a merc healer. You'll find that it levels a lot faster.
  4. Estred Well-Known Member

Yep Sigrdifia (that's a pain to type lol) is correct this adorn is tricky to level. I am a raid-tank and mine is only at 43% I plan to go smash up Runnyeye wearing cloth armor but my Raid Jewelry to level it.
  5. Estred Well-Known Member

Just checked it out, That method does not work. To boot I am almost naked in here apparently being lvl 95 is just OP period. Note this image is number heavy. Keep in mind I just was standing here, Imbued/Blessed Tungsten gear and Nothing else except my green adornments. Here is the result.

[IMG]

Supposedly I was earning XP from this but I can tell you it was not noticeable and I was taking 200+ damage constantly while healing 187-600 constantly.
  6. Thorine New Member

Estred, I have similar experience. I'm running the solo instances boxing a healer. I strip off most of my armor to make sure I take damage. Even checking my combat window to make sure before I kill the mobs. I've been running the SS instances and contested zones. I do see that the adornment get stronger when I kill the mobs but the progression aren't noticeable.
    If you spend hours to try level it you can get like 2-3% / day.
  7. Estred Well-Known Member

Yep best experience I have gotten is actually pulling and killing Glokus Windhelm believe it or not... though not many can farm their adorns on him I average 1%-2% per kill :confused:
  8. Boli Active Member

Grit of the Shiverback King seems to need about 3.5 million damage received per percentage. I would wager the Will will be twice or three times as long to level up.

This does NOT include ANY damage which is WARDED, (which is should tbh). So you are pretty much looking at an excuse to go in reckless.
  9. Estred Well-Known Member

Or just to go put on 2 pieces of Augment Smite and Blessing gear and just find an area that has infinite spawns and just AFK get beat on till you drop or your smites kill things granting XP.
  10. Jacck Active Member

Also, Detonation proc'ing gear.
  11. Estred Well-Known Member

Which hasn't been in game since TSO... wait that was Mutagenic Burst which was removed from gear for the same reason.

Edit: sigh forgot which thread I was posting on lol. Thought this was one of the "Experimentation procs are OP in BG's" threads for some reason... can't delete this post so meh, it's irrelevant :confused:
  12. Jacck Active Member

You make me LOL alot estred.
  13. Gosh Member

Now i got it: This item is the promise, that this game will last until 2050!
    Here the calculation:
    On my bruiser the Will of the Shiverback King leveled 1% within 2 weeks of getten beaten.
    At this rate it will be at level 2 in 100*2 weeks = 200 weeks ~= 4 years. :D
    And finally reach level 10 in the year 2049,
    Should i hope that it will not be outdated by then?
    :eek:
  14. Boli Active Member

Any ETA on an update... I AM a raid tank so the amount of damage I take ranges from hardly anything (soloing) to stupid (in raid). In about a week I've got 52% on the GRIT (not will) and this is by purposefully taking more damage than I wish to... and 30% of that was MTing an avatar - something which I highly doubt most tanks will be subjected to and I am using the HERIOC version, NOT the raid.

3.5million unwarded damage taken per percent is quite frankly stupid. It should be based on the original damage before mit/damage reduction/resists are taken into account; as it stands I can be hit for 100,00 damage and take nothing when behind wards.
  15. Erszebeth Active Member

I gave up on using the GRIT version on my zerk, even after doing repeated runs through temple solo letting everything die to riposte damage, avg. 2% a run....I use a crafted adorn now
  16. Estred Well-Known Member

Remember Warded damage does not count towards the adorn its HP damage only. Still no eta on the update though. I have
    Will of the Shiverback King
    Nexus of the Bastion (would rather a 2nd will for tanking or Nexus of Flame)
    Orb of Crippling Fear.

they all take long to level.
  17. windozer Member

where does this adornment drop?
  18. Thorine New Member

Will of the Shiverback King drops in AoA x4. I think Grit of the Shiverback King drops there as well.
    Nexus of the Bastion from HE x4

I found the best way to level those adorns outside raid, is to box my fury, strip all buffs, go in wreckless and run the SS contested.
    Still waiting on a fix though.
  19. Controlor Member

The main issue with Will of the Silverback King is that it has a broken mechanic with it. Me and a fellow guildy (our MT) have tested the thing, and his i believe is currently level 5 or 6.

It takes somewhere between 5 - 10 million damage received to go up 1%. This is unwarded damage mind you. So if you took 1k "damage" but 500 warded then it only registers as taking 500 damage. This is not that big of an issue really.

The MAIN issue with Will (and i suspect Grit) is that if you are at 100% hp and have a ward on you get 0% exp. That is even if you stood there and took 5 million points of unwarded damage. If you are at 100% health and throw on a ward right as the monster dies you get 0% exp. This is why you do not see it leveling fast in raids, because you are typically at 100% hp and have wards running on you as a tank when the creature dies. However if you are less than 100% hp and have a ward on you when it dies you will get exp, or if you are at 100% hp and don't have a ward on you you will get exp (assuming you took damage).

Basically what you need to do is befriend a cleric / druid and run old raid zones just soaking damage to level it up.

This is why Thorine is having success going reckless with a druid in SS. It is also easily repeatable, just go to a heroic mob and take some damage then heal to 100% throw a ward on and kill it. You will not even see the "Will of the Silverback King has gained experience" message.
  20. Thorine New Member

There was supposed to be a fix for this comming in January. I haven't noticed any difference so maybe it was next year?