Glimmering dust

Discussion in 'Tradeskills' started by Ardrek, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Ardrek Member

what is it used for other than to confuse me?

The wiki is utterly worthless on the subject. saying I can use it for T4 expert stuff. if I go to the "dust" page in the wiki it also says I can make T4 stuff and click on glimmering and then it returns me to the Glimmering dust page of worthlessness.

what recipes can be made with it and where would I find that list and how would I get those recipes?
  2. Ashnolo New Member

I believe these are used by alchemists, but what for specifically I don't know. perhaps an alchemist search will help
  3. Mermut Well-Known Member

Yes, they're used by alchemists to make mastercrafted potions and poisons.
  4. Rotherian Well-Known Member

They are for the mastercrafted potions and poisons that alchemists make. The recipes for those can be found in most Advanced Alchemist recipe books.
  5. Ardrek Member

I just wish the wiki wasn't so un-informative. google this and you can't find anything other than alchemist want it but not for what exactly. everything I've see they use harvested items and not these dusts ( doesn't mean they don't use them )
  6. Prrasha Well-Known Member

If I google either "eq2 glimmering dust" or just "glimmering dust", the very first link has the following on the google results page (I don't even have to click through to the website): "See also: C:Resources for lists of all Resources Dust used by Alchemists to make rare poisons..."

The link is, of course, to the wiki... and if you click through, you get "Dust used by Alchemists to make rare poisons and potions."

I'm unsure how google and/or wikia could be described as un-informative...
  7. Rotherian Well-Known Member

Since the google-fu is apparently not strong in this one, here is a link to the page that explains precisely what it is used for (hint 1: click on the word link; hint 2: look for the heading that says Uses).
  8. Uberfuzzy Member

Yes, I agree the pages for the dusts (and for that matter, any common recipe ingredient/harvest) kinda sucks.

But I would like to point out that the description text on the item its self, right in game, no website or google-fu needed:
    "This dust can be used by alchemists to make mastercrafted potions and poisons in the level 30-39 range."
    Lempo and Finora like this.
  9. Mae- Well-Known Member

The great thing about a wiki... if you find it uninformative, you can easily change it to give more information. The awful thing about a wiki, is that people do it, and are more prone to copy/paste than actually explain something.
  10. Ardrek Member

so true, I was at the page of your link and I did attempt to follow it's links, non of which show a list of recipes that use those dusts.

I did follow one train of thought to a recipe like "Workman's Trauma Remedy" which displays what it is, not what it takes to make it. It doesn't have any link to what the materials are for it only that an alchemist can make it

.... another sad case of Wiki miss-direction.
  11. Rotherian Well-Known Member

If you are looking for the actual recipes, your best bet is probably to either a) find the Advanced Alchemist recipe books in-game and then examine those books and examine the recipes listed, or b) find the name of the specific potion or poison that you want to know the recipe for, and then go to Zam and input the name into the appropriate field (i.e. to the right of the word Name).

If you just want to know which dusts go with which potions/poisons, then it gets a bit more complicated. You'll have to look at the dusts page for the appropriate level of dust (to see which tier it belongs to), then go to this page for poisons or this page for potions. That still doesn't give you the name, but the tiers follow this naming convention (for the ones that use dusts):

T3 - Journeyman's
    T4 - Workman's
    T5 - Apothecary's
    T6 - Master's
    T7 - Grandmaster's
    T8 - Expert's

Off the top of my head, I'm not completely certain about the ones for T9 and T10. I'll have to check on my alchemist in-game and get back to you. Regardless, if you combine the Tier name with the type of potion, you'll know which recipes use them (the respective tables on the potions and poisons pages tell you which tiers - up to tier 8 - have a given type of potion).

This will require a little bit of work on your part to gather the information, but it should sufficiently answer your question. One day, if I find myself beset with too much free time, then I may go ahead and make a potions by tier page and a poisons by tier page for eq2i. Or, if you can't wait that long, you are more than welcome to do it yourself. :D
  12. Azomonas Active Member

13. Cloudrat Well-Known Member

The crafting bible can be found at http://eq2.eqtraders.com
    Join the crafting channel on your server too :)
  14. Prrasha Well-Known Member

And again, wikia is player-maintained. Do you have any idea how many recipes are in this game (zam says 21,394, and it's missing a lot... including all of tier 10), and how often they're changed or revamped? There have been at least two complete revamps of every tradeskilled item in the game. Just in the last year, they re-did top-tier provie recipes to use the new CoE raws (the original recipes didn't use them), and changed all researcher-learned provie recipes to not use reactants to make food.

Even if Wikia did have recipes listed, I wouldn't trust them to be current, so I wouldn't look at them. There's no way the playerbase can keep an ever-changing list of 25,000-ish things up-to-date.
  15. Ardrek Member

it looks like in the level 30-39 range anything Workman's uses a dust. it's not a very big list of items.
    thanks everyone, i'll try those other links.
  16. Alenna Well-Known Member

they are used for the master crafted poisons and potions