Water Interaction Removed

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Maergoth, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Maergoth Well-Known Member

@40 seconds (hide annotations)

A long time ago, I made a video. I turned my graphics all the way up, ran around Antonica and Thundering Steppes and some other places. At one point, I was showing off the water effects. When you jumped in, there would be ripples spreading out from where you enter the water.

I recently noticed that this effect no longer functions. I've turned every setting up in-game and can't restore these levels of water interaction.

Any ideas? Or was this removed completely?
    Shalyn90, Sturmlocke and Estred like this.
  2. Estred Well-Known Member

It fell by the wayside I think. Would love to see it added back same as more realistic wind effects on cloaks, or hey maybe give us wind-effected hair... not sure the EQ2 engine could handle that though, does it even have a physics engine?
    Sturmlocke likes this.
  3. Mohee Active Member

HERE I posted not long ago about the missing 3D waving realistic water was missing. I also created a topic on the old forums long ago about it and a Dev said "oh yeah, when did that happen? we'll look into putting that back in." Also, the Flora moving and bending as you walk through it is another thing that got lost somewhere. The Dev talked as if by some unknown reason it poofed and they aren't sure when/why or how. Amazing... I do hope they put these 2 effects back into the game, as they are awesome and a small details that added A LOT and is unique in the MMO world :)
    Sturmlocke, Shalyn90 and Finora like this.
  4. SandsMans Active Member

The flora movement and the water rippling were great effects and added more depth to the game. It would be really nice to see their return!
  5. Huene New Member

bump, Any movement on getting these back on?
    Sturmlocke likes this.
  6. Mohee Active Member

Yes, would like to see graphic options that were in the game when it launched, put back in. Thanks.
    Sturmlocke likes this.
  7. Texana New Member

A long time ago (could have been at FanFaire) Georgeson stated that they had solved some sort of issue causing lag in various zones with a simple fix. From what I observed at the time they shifted from 3D to 2D for most of the plants. Plants used to have 3 intersecting planes creating a hexagon when viewed from above and now they are a single plane. I think that is when they removed the plants shifting around you because of how stupid it looked without the 3D effect.
    Sturmlocke likes this.
  8. Alenna Well-Known Member

oh please no i've got bad enough lag as it is on my minium spec computer.
  9. Estred Well-Known Member

EQ2 also has no physics engine such as the Unreal and Unity engines sport. Animated anything is hard.
  10. Louly Well-Known Member

I remember it being like that :D I've thought all this time it was my computer
  11. Pixistik Don't like it? You're not alone!

If I remember right Rothgar had something to do with removing a lot of the stuff to make the game run smoother, something like taking one of the sides of the flora away or some such nonsense, its all been pretty busted since then and flora has never looked the same nor has water interaction.

It didn't help frame rates that I could tell but was left like that anyway.

I feel pretty sure the current crew is incapable of fixing such things, tho it would be a pleasant surprise should they prove me wrong.