Dungeon finder

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Ardrek, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Ardrek Member

just got to level 20 and queued a full group for the easiest dungeon and it won't pop. ( in 30 min )
    any ideas why? does it think we can't handle it? ( quite a bit of master crafted gear on the group )
  2. Estred Well-Known Member

It is because no one uses Dungeon Finder... thereby support for it has been abandoned. I don't even know if it works anymore. Funny thing is, people stopped using DF because it was broken and making horridly structured groups (all dps no tank) or (3 tanks and 3 dps, no healer). It also grouped up people giving them lockouts even if only 2 people hit accept.

Players stopped using it because Sony released it unfinished. Sony didn't finish it because players didn't use it. Kinda funny when you think about it.
  3. Gilasil Active Member

I think what he's saying is that a full group of level 20's (i.e. 6 players) queued DF and DF won't put them together in a dungeon like it's supposed to. It can't even match people when it has them. I've done that myself. Sometimes it sorta works, sometimes it doesn't.

DF would be a really great tool if they'd taken the time to do it right.

Which just goes to show. If you can't do a job right, don't bother doing it. It's not worth it. DF is a classic example of what happens when you cut corners and don't allocate enough development resources to do a good job. Doing a crappy job instead is just a waste of time.
  4. Terein Active Member

It doesn't work. I remember trying to get a full group into unrest after it put 2 of us in, no matter what we did it wouldn't put anyone else in the instance with us. We eventually had to zone out and back in like normal losing the DF benefits because the stupid thing wouldn't work.

It's useless, even as a quick teleport, just avoid using it.
  5. Bluntman New Member

It's a feature that Sony rushed and half-***** to put in, and then when nobody was using it because it 1) takes too long(it's not cross-server, and only draws from the miniscule pool of players on that server wanting to do that dungeon) and b) using it at higher levels is not a good idea because the system has no idea the difference between a new level 95 and a raid-geared 95, they were just like "WHELP THE COMMUNITY HATES THIS FEATURE SO INSTEAD OF FIXING IT LET'S JUST FORGET ABOUT IT".
  6. Estred Well-Known Member

Yep, Terein and Blunt pretty much summed up my thoughts on DF wholly.
    - Great Idea
    - Poor Implemenation
    - Ruined by a bad system.
  7. Mohee Active Member

You can tell how forgotten this feature is by SOE themselves by the fact that none of the zones after DoV 1 got included on it (skyshrine, ST, CoE...)
  8. Gilasil Active Member

If they added the new zones I'd probably still queue myself up for it when I'm soloing on the theory that it can't hurt and maybe I'll get lucky.

But they heaven't even bothered to put in the new dungeons.
  9. Feldon Well-Known Member

The lack of gear check on Dungeon Finder was arguably more of a problem than not being Cross-Server.
    Estred likes this.
  10. Salty21db Active Member

Because nobody complains about gear checks or any type of gear based evaluations /rolls eyes. That's why we still have Crit Mit right?

I get what you're saying but I also know that the second there is a gear score in this game people will go nuts, moreso than they already do.

I personally don't think gear means squat in terms of player ability and everyday see people who are in 160ish gear trounce people in new raid gear just because they are a better player. What was missing primarily from DF imo was the precheck that every other game has before it actually just puts you in the dungeon.
  11. NMTC_HTC New Member

My experience has been that Dungeon Finder will only work if you queue for an instanced dungeon rather than a persistent dungeon (even though persistent dungeons are listed in Dungeon Finder).

When my friends and I have selected only instanced dungeons on the list and then queue, dungeon finder seems to work fine (although there still can be only a 1 to 2 minute delay).

Rewards from the Dungeon Finder do not seem to have any rhyme or reason though. We've completed instances and had no rewards and we've left instances after ten minutes uncomplete and recieved rewards. I guess those latter events make up for the fact that the gear is untradeable and very rarely is appropriate for your archtype.

As relative newcomers to the game without fast mounts, we have also found that dungeon finder can be helpful from a travel perspective (queue into instanced dungeon that is near to another place that we want to xp).
  12. Estred Well-Known Member

You can usually assume someone in Handcrafted gear will play worse than someone with EM-Raid gear. You can also assume in current day someone with SS-Faction gear or CoE-Solo gear will play worse than someone with CoE-HM and Plane of War gear.

Gear Scores just correlate into making more evenly distributed players end up together. Nothing annoys a player than having to carry a knuckle-dagger though a zone. Especially since they nerfed tank-heals to oblivion we as Fighters can't really help a weak healer anymore and I frankly miss that.
    Wirewhisker and Terein like this.
  13. Ivory Member

Here's my problem with gear score in the current system: Lets say I buy Krono's and sell them on the broker. I use that plat to pay for a PL'er to help me level up. I then buy more Krono's and sell those on broker to buy SLR Gear. Suddenly I have a well geared character that I have absolutely no idea how to play.
  14. Terein Active Member

That's why there's a kick option. Though they could also use character or account age to better match people similarly to how Left 4 Dead 2 uses play time to match players.

SoE can't even bother to make sure a group has a healer though so meh.
    Estred likes this.
  15. Feldon Well-Known Member

I am not talking WoW's GearScore which led to WoW players equipping crummy gear with certain high stats (even though it was a poor choice for their class) just to get groups.

EQ2's gear progression is so straightforward that it's trivially easy to tell which content some players will be able to survive and some won't. Just look at the Stamina stat which these days is really "Health Multiplier".

Critical Mitigation was another degree of progression besides just raising the level cap every year. It was actually a good idea in TSO and SF, but they went totally nuts with it in DoV. Instead of being just another stat that exceptional healing could compensate for, they made it so you had to have X Crit Mit just to survive any encounter or you got hit for 150k damage. This forced players to grind obsolete content for MONTHS just to inch their Crit Mit numbers high enough to even ATTEMPT the later content. It was unnecessarily punitive.

Removing Crit Mit was a total overreaction. If the requirements had been reduced by 25% across the board, and if the Crit Bonus of boss mobs had been reduced so that being short on Crit Mit was "tough" but not "guaranteed fail", we'd be in good shape right now. Instead, gear inflation is totally out of control.

But it has everything to do with survivability. Sorry, but getting in groups with folks with handcrafted at level 95 tells me Dungeon Finder is just plain broken. There has to be SOME minimum gear requirement. It should be as low as possible, but there has to be some minimum.

Fighters with 40k health shouldn't be picked as a "tank" for Wurmbone's End/Crag or, frankly, any CoE zone. Backup DPS maybe.
    Estred and Terein like this.
  16. Feldon Well-Known Member

At least you won't die on pull.
  17. Estred Well-Known Member

Yep, Critical Mitigation was great in TSO/SF you could live without it. It was a luxury Raiders/High-end Heroic players enjoyed that made their lives easier. Today tanking really is just "alive or dead" and the healer is there to keep you alive through auto-attacks. The game has lost some of it's depth because of changes like that. PQ's were lost, Crit-mit was lost, Adornment levels were lost (after all you can get reds in solo now). It is starting to feel a bit... samey to me.
    Feldon and Terein like this.