EverQuest II Roadmap 2023

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Accendo, Jan 10, 2023.

1. Sturmlocke Linux enthusiast playing EQ2 via Proton.

I just noticed this thread is still alive and well with some pretty good ideas. Reread the initial post and this last part sounds super interesting. Can anyone explain pls, any theories or info?

Cheers
  2. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

One thing I would like is DBG once again offering at least even "scaled down" versions of the rewards from prior World Events on the Loyalty Merchants. They used to, back in the day, perhaps back when they were SOE... Not being able to participate in a World Event takes absolutely NO REVENUE from DBG's pockets, but if old players decide to come back, or miracle of miracles, we get new players who may have been attracted to this game because of cool things like the rewards (appearance items, house items, prestige houses, RECIPE BOOKS, etc.), only to be told in a delighted sing-song, essentially, "You got here too late, too late. Ha-ha; sucks to be you! /giggle :D" that might have a somewhat chilling effect. :-/

Uwk
    who figures: if they're not ever going to do the fan conventions any more, why not release all those ancient items to the Loyalty Merchants now?
    Traesta, Cassta and Almee like this.
  3. Almee Well-Known Member

I agree, Uwk. There are lots of items DP has locked away that would entice players back to the game or even bring in new players. The new cloaks, for instance, are awesome. I've been trying for days to get a couple more of them for my characters, before the Chrono even ends, but keep getting other items instead. Also love the paintings we get from the Ro PQ. Unfortunately, there have been too few people participating to do the PQ (like on Public Test) or too many so it has been really hard to get the items I want, which is discouraging. There always seems to be one clown who runs in and kills everything in sight before the rest of us so we miss out on one or more of the required mobs to get the best rewards. It would be wonderful if we could get them through loyalty points.
    Cassta and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  4. Siren Well-Known Member

Now that we know from J Chan that the new PvP-TL is starting with writs in Shattered Lands, is there an ETA for a beta? April is closing in fast!

I also hope they're using a clone of Tarinax that is post-Mentoring fixes and post-AoE splash damage fixes, so we don't have to endure 3-4 weeks of exploits once again, waiting for it all to pass Q&A.
    Breanna likes this.
  5. Cassta Well-Known Member

I agree and I would like to see items given to Fan Faire particicpants available on the loyalty merchant. As someone who has literally spent many thousands of dollars over the years, I was angry when I saw items I spent real life money on given away by the panda quests. That being said, I don't seem to feel as annoyed when they are offered on the loyalty broker. At least some work is required to earn loyalty tokens. Some of the loyalty merchant items are quest rewards and people willing to do the quest can earn the item. I like that as I don't feel as cheated.
    Breanna and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  6. Cassta Well-Known Member

Not sure I was clear earlier. I do want to have prior World Event rewards offered on the loyalty merchant, or even in the MP. I understand DG is a business and has to turn a profit to keep us going, which is why I don't mind past World Event and Fan Faire items made available on MP. I would also like to see DG open up ALL the vaults and bring back the Players Studio! I still purchase player made items have probably put 1 or 2 designers kids through college. :D :p
  7. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

I always thought that the raison d'etre for the Panda stuff was to unload items we'd never see on the Marketplace ever again: they'd be Vaulted (and never released again, even temporarily) or just plain done away with. If my theory was correct, I'd get depressed that we could only ever get one, maybe two, of something, and then that would be it. :-/

If I'm wrong (then, why only those specific items...?), I could understand folks getting irked; heck, I can understand folks getting irked about access to the Fan Faire stuff, but as far as that goes, it's been probably a decade or more since that stuff was ever offered in any way, shape, or form, so I for one would love to see it be made available again, yeah. :)

Uwk
  8. Cassta Well-Known Member

I agree 100%! I have encountered the exact same problems with the Chrono PQ. It is so frustrating when all that is required is to allow everyone to get 1, 2 or 3 hits on each monster then do the same on the biggies. You don't even have to kill anything, just hit it. Yesterday I got so annoyed with people yelling at each other I quit for the day. I know I missed out earning coins I need to purchase items from the status merchant, but when a lvl 120 can't get enough hits in it is just too much. Today is the last day of the Chrono event and I already decided no PQs. :( I feel sad a few made what was an enjoyable event a dreaded one. I play to have fun, always have and always will. This event became not fun and I am sad, especially for lower lvl players.
  9. Sunlei Well-Known Member

Model upgrades (new hair styles/appearance?) custom much more in character select?

UI update, nice!. UI with the same 'legal' benefits people enjoy from the 3rd party UI websites?

How about EQ/EQ2 voice client upgrades?

Upgrade to where the EQ game doesn't have to use discords/be a discord member with all the hooks discord places on our personal computers. Same for this messageboard...discord scatters the player population & community........

I have dreams........
  10. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

I don't bother with Discord, and hope I never have to -- or did you mean EQ1, and not the EQniverse in general?

Uwk
    Cassta and Pixistik like this.
  11. Hanokh Member

So are the suburbs open on AB now?
  12. Tkia Well-Known Member

Nope. And as expected the inn rooms don't seem to have transferred correctly. On Kaladim I had a fully decorated , with expanders, inn room in Willow Wood and also a Willow Wood room in the Lion's Mane inn with just a few items in it. Now I have only a Willow Wood room in the Lion's Mane containing zero items and no expanders. I'm aware that in the past there have been delays with housing stuff showing up after transfers so I'll give it 24 hours to see if it sorts itself out. But I've never seen this delay on a merge before so I'm not optimistic and I'll be sending CS a layout file to get it sorted. All of my other houses appear to have transferred intact.
  13. Pixistik Don't like it? You're not alone!

Would be so much better if they opened up the burbs like they said they would
    Breanna, Cassta, Tkia and 1 other person like this.
  14. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

I hadn't heard anything about that! :-/ Yeah, that would've been cool. :(

Uwk
    who wonders: why not, after all this time? Surely, they still have the files...?
    Cassta likes this.
  15. Siren Well-Known Member

Knowing that the burbs are popular, they restrict them to gold sub servers to try and squeeze more money out of the player base.

There's a saying in politics that applies to every business, really: When you want to know why anything happens, just follow the money!
  16. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Odd; I'm a Gold member, and I still can't access the suburbs properly; they're still full of monsters that used to be my friends and neighbors. :(

Uwk
    who did NOT like that a bit... :mad:
    Breanna and Cassta like this.
  17. Cassta Well-Known Member

Ditto to Discord! I don't like the feeling of being forced into it in order to stay updated. I feel being kept up to date is one of the reasons we have the Forums.
    Aenvar, Raeven, Twyla and 1 other person like this.
  18. Finora Well-Known Member

My first thought is that maybe the next expansion involves the Buried Sea.
    Cassta and Sturmlocke like this.
  19. Sturmlocke Linux enthusiast playing EQ2 via Proton.

That's exactly what I was thinking tbh, just didn't want to speak it out loud bc it would be too good to be true :D We have actually discussed this topic around here a few times, could the engineers have been listening to us all along? I'll literally jump into a lake with my EQ2 retail box, if the powers that be go through with this, lol. Buried Sea in EQ1 is beautiful, and seeing what EQ2 is capable of when it comes to the visual fidelity of water, and its untapped potential thus far, I can only imagine how beautiful a zone like this could be in EQ2. I hope we go through with this and take this opportunity to upgrade the water with DX11 enhancing effects as well, hopefully allowing for an unparalleled showcase of beautiful water waves, ripples, refraction.

Edit, srry, had to pause there for a second:

It's no secret, I am huuuuge fan of games like: Ecco the Dolphin on Dreamcast, Dire Dire Docks in Mario 64, Donkey Kong Country underwater levels, Ocarina of Time water temple and a few more. I was about to trade-in my Wii U for a couple of other things that our kids can play, but decided against it ultimately, realising I might regret this one day, so I am now in the process of building a new game collection for our fam. Browsing through the various Wii games I stumbled upon this beauty:

Endless Ocean, Wii

Posting this as it might give our devs more inspirations. Don't know how I missed this back then tbh, because I have never played it, so I took this opporunity and started playing this with my oldest son the other day, and the relaxing music, vibes, water, sea creatures put him to sleep within minutes. The last few days he's been struggling to go to sleep on time, but this game calmed his little brain so much that he was snoring, drooling and snoozing along for the entire night. EQ2 can do water really good, it just needs a little bit of more overall depth, caves, flora, coral reef and other types of fish and sea creatures. A small push in the right direction is all it needs, and adding Buried Sea into the mix could do the trick, literally. Imagine something like this, but just much bigger, wider, with a bit more depth and with things such as a huge sunken underwater temple:

Greater Faydark, aquatic vibes
    Scenes switch to underwater after about half an hour

Water is life

PLUS:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Water, and more water. Beware of JAWS! Honestly, this is one of the many reasons why I enjoy EQ1 and 2 more over say something like Lotro. While Lotro is beautiful in its own way, a real beauty to behold for sure, it does not offer all of the different colors, themes, vibes like the EQ franchise does. In EQ you can go from celtic medieval themes to Jurassic Park's Karuupa Jungle to Arielle's under the sea to Aladdin's Sinking Sand to haunted mansion ala Resident Evil and more. It adds that special sprinkle of magic on top of it all. And now maybe Burning Sea? I'm in!!!

Edit: The music of a water based expac should reflect the underwater vibes perfectly btw. If you decide to do this, please take inspiration from the examples posted above. Now that I think of it, I license music from a number of indie artists for a lot of my EQ2 vids btw, maybe you guys can join forces and team up with some of these folks? From indie to indie dev basically :) I talked to Christopher Collins (indiemusicbox) about underwater music in games some time ago, and iirc he would like to do stuff like this (game music), but for some reason he hasn't yet. I don't remember the exact reason right now, would have to check again, but maybe a joint effort like this could turn out to be a beneficial deal for all parties involved? A chance to shine and grow for everyone. Just throwing this idea into the mix.
    Schmetterling, Cassta and Breanna like this.
  20. Raeven Well-Known Member

Uwkete, you must have been on a live server or the Test server. The suburbs were on the specialty servers, like Tarinax and I think Varsoon.