Is it worth putting money into this game?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Sionainn91, Mar 8, 2023.

1. Sionainn91 New Member

I've been playing for a few days and I'm really enjoying it but I came across a post discussing the popularity and population of the game and apparently it's dying and has been dying for years. Someone described it as an ailing grandparent that you visit because you love them but you see them lose more and more of what they used to be, something to that tune. So I'm wondering should I risk putting money into a game so far gone? Is it even that bad? Thank you in advance.
    Sunlei likes this.
  2. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

The game isn't new. But its predecessor, EQ1, is still getting updates, and it's even older.

$15 a month is small potatoes. Most people spend more on pizza and/or beer weekly. It's cheaper than a date at the movies.

Since you can actually play the game FREE, there's no risk whatsoever. Play a while and decide if you like it. Paying the monthly sub gets you a whole lot of benefits, so you will want to do that if you find you like it. And you won't need to buy an expansion of you're starting out low-level. There are literally thousands and thousands of quests that kept all of us busy for the last ... what is it, 18 years now?

Also remember that lots more people will come to the forums to kvetch than to say complimentary things. People have been claiming the game is "dying" for over 15 years now. It's like Chicken Little... the sky hasn't fallen yet, we have a new expansion we're playing now and more planned for the future.
    Breanna, Iludiin, Beee and 7 others like this.
  3. Benj Well-Known Member

Reports of this game's death have been greatly exaggerated. While many of the older expansions certainly feel larger and more polished (especially larger), I still thoroughly enjoy the game.

If you're just starting out, I don't see much need to spend money on it. Without spending a dime, you can go all the way from level 1 to level 100 and experience every expansion up through Altar of Malice (Expansion #11). Note that you will probably be soloing the entire game to that point, as most of the population is max level already. If you want to go past Altar of Malice, you'll need to purchase the latest expansion, Renewal of Ro. That will give you access to expansions 12-19 in a single purchase.

A monthly/quarterly/yearly membership is only required if you want to do heroics and raids in Renewal of Ro, or if you want to use a specialty server. IMO, no need to subscribe just yet. Try out the game and see how you like it first.
    Breanna, Iludiin, Chath and 4 others like this.
  4. Sionainn91 New Member

Thank you very much for your replies! I'm aware that as a new player I don't have to put money into the game just yet but I still thought it would be good to know if it was worth doing if I chose to. I'm really enjoying the game and I can see myself putting money in in the foreseeable future but of course I wanted to make sure it was safe first.
    Sturmlocke likes this.
  5. Avirodar Well-Known Member

The answer is entirely personal and subjective.
    If you're enjoying the game, and foresee reasonable entertainment value from a purchase, then it is worth it.
    If you don't enjoy the game, or don't foresee reasonable entertainment value from a purchase, then it is not worth it.
    What is or is not worth it can vary wildly from one individual to the next.

As for a game dying? That stance can be based on perspective.
    The population of this 18-year-old game has been on a downward trajectory for a very long time.
    The owners of the game do not want to make any significant investment into EQ2.
    There is enough revenue to scrape out an annual expansion and keep a few staff around.

For some, EQ2 still ticks the boxes for reasonable entertainment value, and they continue to play & purchase.
    For some, they reach a point where they do not see reasonable value and move on.
    Each to their own. Your money. Your choice. Enjoy your leisure time as you deem fit.
    EQ2 is one of countless video games and alternate leisure options. The ball is in your court.
    Mermut and Iludiin like this.
  6. Smashey Well-Known Member

If I was a brand new player and wanted to play a MMO game, EQ2 would be at the bottom of my to play list to be honest.

The only thing that still carries this game is the players who played together for 19 years. Its for sure not the quality or quantity of content any longer.

Being a newcomer is not only a problem when it comes to catching up, which outside of the leveling (oh god PoP questing is a nightmare) you also either have to p2w to get enough plat for abilities/consumeables or spend an insane amount of time harvesting for rares. its also a problem with the cliques and guilds that have farmed through out the years.

If you really want to play eq2, I would level adventure and tradeskilling to max, get all the harvesting items stuff done, make sure I did 10 overseers a day and save the mount/familiar/merc items and then I would wait for the next expansion to dig into endgame with the level increase expected.
    Arclite likes this.
  7. Berserkerkitten Well-Known Member

My mistake. The server merges, dwindling player population, ever-increasing amounts of recycled content and assets, broken economy, stat inflation, poor writing quality in newer expansions and timed Excel sheet gameplay mechanics instead of actual content, as well as the laughably bad expansion trailers with amateurish sound mixing or music taken straight from Dragon Age: Inquisition are all clearly a sign of EQ2 doing absolutely great. :rolleyes: I have no doubt they'll keep it running for as long as they can and wouldn't worry about it suddenly disappearing over night. But the player count is only headed in one direction and it ain't up. That's where my grandparent analogy came from.

Regardless, at the end of the day, if you're having fun with it, why not spend some money and have even more fun? There's worse stuff to spend money on than some goodies or an expansion in an MMO, which is well past its prime and may or may not still be here a few years from now. If you're enjoying yourself, why not grab a mount, a mercenary or fun new costume? No matter what the future may bring, right now the game is still here, you're having a good time, I don't think spending a bit of money on it is such a big deal. People are allowed to like things. Just because I'm unhappy with the state of things and the direction this game has been heading for a long time now doesn't mean others can't enjoy it.

Besides - your journey has only just begun! You've got so, so, sooo much content ahead of you, so much to see and do, to explore, maybe decorate your first house or get into the game's tradeskill system, maybe learn to speak like a dragon, there's nearly two decades worth of stories here for you to enjoy, so don't be stopped by the fact I'm worried about where the game is headed or how many more expansions we can still expect. Don't let it ruin your fun.
    Iludiin likes this.
  8. Geroblue Well-Known Member

I have said this before, but I shall repeat. I have played multiple MMOs, and keep coming back here. This one is better.
    Sturmlocke, Aenvar, Breanna and 3 others like this.
  9. Svenone Well-Known Member

Pick a better MMO, and if it is so much better, why aren't you there instead of here?
    Arclite and Geroblue like this.
  10. Sionainn91 New Member

Well that's just a stupid thing to say without much thought or intelligence :rolleyes:

But to the others who have recently answered... Yes BerserkerKitten your grandparent analogy really did put me off! After reading everything else you just wrote and Smashey too I've decided I'll probably head off somewhere else. I really appreciate your answers though. Thank you and good luck ;)
    Berserkerkitten likes this.
  11. ttobey Makes the Monsters Move

You can get a feel for it free 2 playing and if you like it stick around for awhile. I would try it for yourself and not let the negative vibes here throw you off.
    Tyrval, Sturmlocke, Lateana and 7 others like this.
  12. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Sadly, on every server in every game there are one or two glassbowls. EQ2 lets you use /ignore on them in-game, and you can in fact ignore people here on the forums as well if needed by right-clicking their name over on the left and open that link in a new window, there's an Ignore option there.

Into every life a few of these people fall.
  13. Jamzez Active Member

Play for free until the next pve tle server is released.
    Smashey and Avirodar like this.
  14. Avirodar Well-Known Member

I didn't think of that earlier, and after consideration, I agree!

A new person won't have the social circles, nostalgia, accumulated memories, and years of habitual participation (sunk cost and sunk time), that allows many people to tolerate what live servers have become. A new player taking the TLE route would provide a much more enjoyable experience.
    Dude likes this.
  15. Mugwort Active Member

Every year, new recipes are added to the festive celebrations. Every year, a new expansion is added to the game. Someone is absolutely doing something with the game and cares enough to keep it up to date enough so that it is still not requiring the minimum requirements of November 04, 2004. That stuff just doesn't happen all by itself.

One thing that live servers do offer is full access to festive events, many which are restricted in some manner, on time locked servers.

Time locked and event servers are short lived and will eventually merge with a live server.
    Sturmlocke, Aenvar and Breanna like this.
  16. Aenvar Member

I believe the OP's question is very subjective. I've always been a fan of the Everquest franchise, so the answer is very easy for me: yes, I'm glad this game is still around, being actively developed, I'm very happy to support it and I wish it stays that way for a long time.

But to anyone who might be undecided, try not to be influenced by our opinions; rather jump in and see for yourself. Many years of hard work have been put into EQ2, a lot of talented people have participated in it. Anyone who likes MMOs should make a mandatory visit to this game, either to meet the community, know its history or to enjoy it day by day.
    Sturmlocke, Twyla, Hartsmith and 3 others like this.
  17. Jamzez Active Member

I wouldn't tell a brand new player to buy the expansion and think they will actually get into groups it's just not going to happen, the powers that be likes how tiny the game population has become much easier to sweep the criticism under the rug.
    Geroblue, Smashey and Avirodar like this.
  18. Avirodar Well-Known Member

You are correct to state "That stuff just doesn't happen all by itself". 100% agreed. And the evidence suggests that the current EQ2 team can't manage the memory footprint as effectively as the EQ2 team could back in the day. If poor memory management and new festive recipes are what ticks your boxes, best wishes and all power to you.

It is important to note that on an MMO, a new player may prefer to participate in the range of adventure content with other players, rendering TLE servers a vastly superior experience.
  19. Mugwort Active Member

And that:

It is very true. When it comes to entertainment, preferences are always personal and subjective including which type of server to play on.

Some just play everywhere.

So, there is no set way to play. :)
    Berserkerkitten and Twyla like this.
  20. Sturmlocke Linux enthusiast playing EQ2 via Proton.

But before you give up, know that there are many among us here that think a bit more positive about our game world. There is lots to see and to do:

I agree with some of the others, don't let anyone tell you what to think or feel - it's totally up to you to make up your own mind. EQ2 has almost twenty years worth of yearly content for you to explore, and you don't have to experience it alone either. Try to find a nice guild to team up with from time to time and you'll be fine. Just know that patience is of uttermost importance with this old gem of an mmo. It doesn't take 30+ players to have fun when grouping, more often than not a handful of ppl are more than enough for a bit of high adventure.

Cheers
    Aenvar, Mugwort and Breanna like this.