Everquest 2 on the go/sofa/in bed is fun

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Berserkerkitten, Feb 18, 2023.

1. Berserkerkitten Well-Known Member

I've gone and bought a handheld gaming PC, put Steam in the recently-overhauled big picture mode, created a controller profile for Everquest 2 and now I can play it just about anywhere that has WiFi. Figured I'd try and capture some of it to show what that looks like.

Please excuse the less than stellar image quality. I only have a very cheap phone with an unimpressive camera, the autofocus isn't great, the intense Ro sun glare doesn't help a lot and the gameplay is a bit awkward, as I'm trying to record and play at the same time in a very awkward pose whilst watching everything through the phone. It may not look like it, but the game actually runs in 1600p on highest settings and looks rather stunning on the little device when not watched through a cheapo Huawei phone.

Obviously this isn't as comfortable as sitting in front of a big gaming monitor playing the whole thing with a rodent and keyboard, but since our house has been struck by the 'rona recently and leaving bed wasn't always an attractive option, being able to visit Norrath without having to escape the gravitational pull of one's own mattress was rather satisfying. Now, I'm not affiliated with anyone selling these things, in fact I'd go as far as to say you really shouldn't get one, unless you've got stupid amounts of disposable income and you're very patient and tech-savvy, but I'm just oh-so fascinated by the fact you can now quite comfortably play EQ2 just about anywhere. I really quite enjoy this.
    Aenvar, Twyla, Pixistik and 1 other person like this.
  2. Almee Well-Known Member

I'm impressed. Getting stuck in the hospital wouldn't be nearly as bad if I could play EQ2 while they fold, spindle, and mutilate me. Unfortunately, I'd never be able to see what was going on, with such a tiny screen, but maybe one day the local hospital will upgrade their dismally-slow Wi-Fi and make it cost effective to invest in a small, game-rated laptop.
    Siren, Hartsmith and Berserkerkitten like this.
  3. Berserkerkitten Well-Known Member

To be fair, the screen is 8,4 inches, so noticeably bigger than, say, a Steam Deck or Nintendo Switch. And you can change the ingame resolution to make text and icons appear bigger.
    Sorry to hear you have to spend a lot of time in a hospital with crappy WiFi.
    Almee likes this.
  4. Aenvar Member

Great job ! I wish I had one of those, looks very comfortable and fun to play with. I also tested a few configurations in Steam and play with a controller every now and then. For me, the worst part is moving the cursor around. Wish we had the same loot system EQ1 has, would make us less dependant on the mouse :)
    Berserkerkitten likes this.
  5. Saharra New Member

Hi,

Can you tell me which handheld gaming PC you bought? Did you mean Steamdeck or OnX? Thinking of getting one.

Thanks!
    Sah
  6. Berserkerkitten Well-Known Member

I'm using the Onexplayer with the i7-1195g7.