I Hate and Despise Arcade Games

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Sigrdrifa, Dec 26, 2022.

1. Priority Well-Known Member

There are other options. You can request help from other players. It is an MMO, after all. I'd personally have zero issue with helping another player through zones if I was going to be doing the zone anyways.
  2. Twyla Well-Known Member

Ok, sure. One place, where I live there is only of them. I was referring to the dark ages when I was young and they were everywhere, you couldn't swing a cat without hitting one.
  3. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Austin is the city of the weird, but we have several bar/arcades and even bar/gaming rooms on a smaller scale than D&B. And there are arcades in every Chuck-E-Cheese etc. But I don't see an actual arcade in the mall like I did as a kid anymore, it's true.
  4. ttobey Makes the Monsters Move

Here's a cool documentary of the arcade I spent way too many hours at growing up.

5. Tkia Well-Known Member

Hmm. In a solo zone/quest step where a player hits a physical co-ordination barrier of some kind, I'm very curious as to how you'd go about providing this help.
    1. Wave magic wand and make physical problem go away? (My personal preference)
    2. Pop round to their house and handle the keyboard/mouse to navigate them round the problem step?
    3. Break all the rules and use someone else's account access to log them in and play them around the problem on your system?
    Juraiya, Geroblue and Twyla like this.
  6. Twyla Well-Known Member

Yeah...Chuck-E-Cheese is gone here...as are most of the places that had them. 'Tis sad.
  7. Priority Well-Known Member

Or, let's get REALLY wild here. What about a Call of the Tinkerer/Veteran? Wild plan, right?

Let's just pretend that these "issues" are insurmountable, though.
    Drona likes this.
  8. Avirodar Well-Known Member

For the sake of clarity, please detail every "physical problem" that the EQ2 devs should account for when designing solo zones and solo quests.

Then provide concise instructions on how EQ2 devs can design content, that can be effectively completed by any player with any physical problem.
    Drona and Smashey like this.
  9. Soara2 Well-Known Member

I don't believe it. Must be hacked. Lol
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  10. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

She's not the only one by far. I totally agree with her and Sigrdrifa in that these sorts of things should be OPTIONAL, not required, if folks want them in their games. (If video games have zero consequences, why do you play? I for one play to relax after a hard day.)

Hell, make more than one instance per expac or zone just for folks who love arcade games and trying to reproduce the mechanics of such in an MMO. Make it a selling point in advertisement! ;)

Just don't force the rest of us to do this kind of thing in the timeline quests, please.

And no, for the record, that wasn't sensitive. I doubt "the rest of the world" doesn't have additional people who don't care for arcade game stuff (/raising_paw).

Uwk
    Juraiya and Geroblue like this.
  11. Priority Well-Known Member

I said zero negative consequences. Details matter. I also didn't say it would be your definition of sensitive. I said it would be as sensitive as "I" could be toward this situation. I struggle with empathy. Especially in situations like this where folks want to be victims about tiny, non-issues.
    Avirodar likes this.
  12. Tanto Done, finished, gone.

To quote someone in a position to actually influence these decisions.. "guys, if you don't like it, don't play".
  13. Melkior Well-Known Member

On the outside chance you don't realize it, "Solo" zones actually allow 2 characters. Either two people, or 1 person and a merc. So all they need to do to provide this help is zone in with them and help them complete the zone. Or do it for them completely while they stand there watching.
    Avirodar likes this.
  14. Taled Well-Known Member

I just want to point out, yet again, that the people continuing to complain about this zone are continually saying "I dont mind it as long as it isn't part of the timeline/sig line/etc!" despite the fact that the zone is not part of the timeline, or sig line, or anything else other than the weekly mission every other week - and not a requirement for anything except for completion of the meta collection.

And yet, here we still are, arguing over whether it is acceptable when your own posts say you don't have a problem with it...
    Drona, Bramdar and Priority like this.
  15. Ejiju Member

I'm not sure why the term arcade is being thrown around to describe Grave Grange. It has a tower defense aspect thrown in, but at its core it is nothing more than an encounter with waves of adds that must be killed quickly. It doesn't require any more manual dexterity than any other aspect of EQ2 gameplay. If you're struggling with planting in between waves, you can reset the encounter (evac, zone out, etc) and get everything planted before you re-start the wave. If you struggle with targeting the adds (no different than targeting any normal mob), you can leverage in-game methods to simplify targeting, F8 to target nearest or creating a macro for your attacks that include /target_nearest_npc. It's a very quick zone, complaints about the RNG aspect of epic spell upgrades aside, I'd rather run Grange for the update than Eye of Night, due to the difference in run times, but if you truly detest Grange, it is not in any critical path for progression and you would only need to endure it a single time for the kill and exploration achievements.
    Gharyn, Drona, Bramdar and 2 others like this.
  16. Juraiya Well-Known Member

Not true. The dungeon I was mentioning - in Obol Plains - is a required part of sig timeline; if you want to complete the signature quest, you have to get past that part of that dungeon. There's simply no way around it. You can't skip it, you can't ignore it; you have to complete it if you want to continue on the main quest.

I do notice that they used that dungeon as part of one of the quests for one of the holidays recently (I believe it was part of the new quest for Heroes' Festival), but they removed the need to jump from platform to platform. Which means that SOMEONE realized how frustrating that particular section was, and decided not to frustrate players who wanted to complete the holiday quest.

If, as one person pointed out, "if we don't like it, don't play it", that kind of attitude from the developers is a sure way to increase player attrition. Do they REALLY want to do that? The player base has already shrunk considerably; they can't really afford for it to shrink much more without having to sunset the game.
    Geroblue and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  17. Priority Well-Known Member

So, now we're including any aspect of the game that requires jumping? You're exactly the people the Overseer mechanic was created for.
    Smashey and Drona like this.
  18. Heresford Active Member

Setting aside the rest for now, I'm interested in any tips that would allow me to perform an 8-foot vertical jump with my ogre. As far as running jumps go, see Table III:

(PDF) Relationship between strength qualities and performance in standing and run-up-vertical jumps (researchgate.net)
    Geroblue likes this.
  19. Priority Well-Known Member

Not even gonna read that. Why? Because it says directly in the title "run-up-vertical" Not the same thing. You're talking about a warped wall or something similar. I'm talking about Longjumping in the olympics. Show me the correlation there and maybe I'll consent you have a point.
  20. Heresford Active Member

I'll recognize that when I mentioned achieving height on a running jump you entirely misunderstood what type of jump that must be, but where is my tip on achieving an 8-foot vertical jump with an ogre? I'm only able to get about 3-4 feet, so what is the trick?