I Hate and Despise Arcade Games

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Sigrdrifa, Dec 26, 2022.

1. Chikkin Well-Known Member

which NotD quest is a plants vs zombies?
  2. Cusashorn Well-Known Member

https://eq2.fandom.com/wiki/Survive_the_Night

You find a scribbled note with zombies informing you that they're coming for your brains. You set up plants around the general area to deal damage to the zombies that slowly crawl towards the center to damage the little girl.
    Breanna and Chikkin like this.
  3. Bhayar Well-Known Member

If you're interested, I suggest you look up the legal definition of parody and its application to avoid copyright infringement. And then, since you've been through that instance, decide whether it meets the criteria. There's a couple of key phrases/requirements you might find interesting to make your case.
  4. Gharyn Well-Known Member

Sorry, not interested in the slightest.

Grave Grange is a molehill, not a mountain.
  5. Geroblue Well-Known Member

For me, immersion will happen with Nerv gear like in the anime MMOs.

edit: Like in .hack//sign
  6. Naramee Active Member

I havent read all of this but there is, if not mentioned yet, also a piece in great divide that reminds you of the little story of Jack and the beans. There also is a tiny little bit in this new addon that reminds me of Micheal Jacksons dancing. There where a lot of little things like that, but I never thought of them beeing out of place. Most of them realy made me laugh. But on the other hand things like donkey cong should stay out, they are from another game, even though they where, are funny. They dont realy belong to everquest. It feels as if you stole some pieces from somebody else just to fill up your own content
  7. Andrea Member

I absolutely love all the Easter Eggs in EQ and EQ2. Everything from the Beetle Ringo in Paludal Caverns to the Jem and the Holograms theme song quests from Magnurmal in Lavastorm ("Truly Outrageous" sending you to get "gems" and "Gem is Adventure"). Please, never stop!
    Twyla likes this.
  8. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

See now, I don't mind it in a holiday quest, especially as zombies and vicious plants have a horror movie provenance suitable to the holiday. The assorted pop-culture Easter eggs are also ok, they're just a nod and a wink.
    Twyla and Geroblue like this.
  9. Celestia Well-Known Member

OOO, OO, I got one - THE SNAKES ON A PLANE QUEST IN LOPING PLAINS!

(The sole reason I did that quest back in the day honestly.)

I haven't played this expansion, and chances are I won't now, but I thought of that quest as soon as you started the list.
    Breanna and Cusashorn like this.
  10. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

11. Cusashorn Well-Known Member

Not to derail this thread more, but you edit the wiki more than I do. Here's a few more references.

https://eq2.fandom.com/wiki/Eye_of_Agamatoo?so=search The Eye of Agamotto from Doctor Strange.

https://eq2.fandom.com/wiki/Woodelf_Eye_for_the_Troll_Guy?so=search Queer Eye for the Straight Guy.

Pretty much all of the progression achievements in Blood of Luclin, Reign of Shadows, Visions of Vetrovia, and Renewal of Ro are song references.
  12. Disrption Active Member

I totally agree with Sig on this. Hate this mechanic and refuse to run the zone as it annoys me more than I like playing EQ2, and I have played 17 years. I won't be farming any Weeklies this year. Hopefully next December we won't see any more of this crap.
  13. Morefunner New Member

After reading everything that has been said, I only have 2 things I want to add.

First, all DBG has to do is get permission from whoever owns PvZ to use the mechanic and storyline. It was Pop Cap Games originally, not sure now.

Last, you need to ask yourself if these little games that you despise inside the quests outweigh the fun you have playing the rest of the game.

So, not agreeing or disagreeing, just made a couple of observations.
  14. Cusashorn Well-Known Member

DBG doesn't need to get permission to keep that zone running. Its mechanics are different enough that it falls under fair use parody. It's one zone out of an entire MMORPG. World of Warcraft has done its fair share of video game parodies as well but nobody is getting on their case.
  15. Zylara Well-Known Member

I didnt mind Donkey Kong too much as I had played that as a kid (ok yes as an adult too) but you could at least skip that, Grave Grange is just more annoying, I probably could deal with it better if there wasn't so much darn corn but as it is yeah unless its in the weekly or is the daily itself I dont do it on any toon even ones that have no trouble with aoes
  16. Heresford Active Member

My biggest problem is that the controls of this game aren't designed for things like quick jumps and rapid targeting. It becomes frustrating when arcade style challenges are introduced. It reminds me of how annoying the jump puzzles in the Ruins of Guk were. The jump action in EQ2 isn't the same as, for example, Serious Sam or Unreal Tournament. It's like trying to do surgery with a sledgehammer.
  17. Priority Well-Known Member

This entire comment sounds like a lack of dexterity. You can literally change directions mid jump in this game and on most enemies, getting anywhere near their hit box with a left click works for targeting.
    Taled and Avirodar like this.
  18. Twyla Well-Known Member

Yes, but arcade games were designed to use joysticks. It is very difficult to do them without one. It's doable but immensely frustrating, especially for those of us who are old and remember when arcade games were first developed. I enjoyed them then - with my joystick - then PCs became the norm and they migrated to them...doable but the basic design is still for a joystick. Make these fun little things a side quest, or able to be bypassed if you must put them in the sig line(s).
    Juraiya likes this.
  19. Priority Well-Known Member

The post i referenced is talking about the controls in general. Grave is nothing special. Corn stalks cause LOS issues just like hills, walls, pillars. Really, anything you cant run through. Absolutely zero relevance to joysticks.
  20. Drona Well-Known Member

I really hope you do more content like this. Some of your scripts and "dexterity" based encounters have been loads of fun in the last couple of expansions. They are breath of fresh air in EQ2. We need more stuff like this in EQ2 so please don't be discouraged by some of these comments. That "Donkey Kong" encounter was gold mine of laugh back in VoV.

However I am all for people to skip some of these in solo zones.