Antialiasing Help

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by Krizani, Dec 3, 2022.

1. Krizani Active Member

I've been using a Radeon RX460 card for ages, haven't changed any of my settings in years with no problem but now I'm noticing my antialiasing appears to not be working while in game. I have "override application settings" for my game settings at 4x multisampling plus 8x anisotropic as well,

Those settings have worked well for a long time, but now it seems they're not being applied and there is no option in the EQ2 Performance settings (under options) anymore either.

Were changes made when the upgrades happened this summer? Any (respectful) ideas would be welcomed.

TIA!
    Saw-Lau and Sturmlocke like this.
  2. Sturmlocke Linux enthusiast playing EQ2 via Proton.

Hail and well met!

Anti Aliasing Options were initially removed from the game during Beta and later also post launch of the newest Ro expansion, see here for more info: https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq2/index.php?threads/ambient-occlusion-on-mouse-over.605542/page-2

Basically AA was causing compat issues with some of the special effects like Ambient Occlusion in the game. In addition, there are also other outstanding bugs or glitches which many of us are waiting for to get fixed. I - assume - the removal of AA is only temporary, at least I hope so, because I'm basically in the same boat as you right now, see last post in the link above. Personally I am going to be trying the workaround mentioned in the link above in order to get a smooth image again, mainly bc I do a lot of Youtube videos for EQ2 and seeing flickering jaggies everywhere = yuck.

Waiting on water, shadows and AA to get fixed currently. According to the devs, these issues will be addressed / fixed with the current expac (Ro), so now we wait :) I can only assume that they're working on it rn, amongst a huge list of other things post Ro launch, which is fine by me. Feel free to join us in the forum post above, you are not alone.
    Saw-Lau likes this.
  3. Krizani Active Member

Thanks so much for the quick detailed response!

I too hate not having antialiasing - it's driven the purchase of many video cards over the years, hah! For me, the art is nearly the most important thing as it really drives immersion for me. Plus I think Norrath is simply a gorgeous world and I like to do it justice.
    Saw-Lau and Sturmlocke like this.
  4. Sturmlocke Linux enthusiast playing EQ2 via Proton.

Agreed, and it'll be even prettier when the stuff I mentioned earlier gets fixed once and for all.
  5. Pixistik Don't like it? You're not alone!

Not sure if AMD has it or not but Nvidia can force/override AA settings using the Nvidia control panel
    Sturmlocke likes this.
  6. Sturmlocke Linux enthusiast playing EQ2 via Proton.

Yeah, both can enforce it via their respective control panels, but it doesn't seem to be working for us rn (OP has a AMD RX 460 and I have a RX 570). I am on Linux though, so enforcing these things for games on Steam, Proton and the likes is a bit more difficult when you're using a sandboxed environment (which I am). Ideally a game ships with these settings ootb, then everyone can easily activate and use it. OP should be on Windows though, if I understood correctly. I really hope to see AA make a return into the EQ2 game options, maybe by using a different or alternative AA mode (FXAA, SMAA, etc.) and then you could also add a few other things like Anistropic Filtering settings, AMD FSR etc.

For now AA and AF would suffice though. Everything on top of that is nice to have, but I do think AA and AF should come back. I can really tell the difference when recording videos, you can see the jaggies everywhere in the final vid, even after applying a filter or two on top of the final image.