Renewal of Ro Plot?

Discussion in 'History and Lore 2' started by Dusano, Dec 6, 2022.

1. Dusano Matron of Lore and Innovation

tell me something i dont know...(everything)
  2. Bramdar Active Member

There's a lot that we don't know yet, but during the prelude event, several aerakyn claimed to have been contacted by the dragon Atathus, who created them in The Nest in "another reality" (I'm not sure if this is assumed to be EQ1 or some "other" Norrath.) Kerafyrm brought the aerakyn to this Norrath using the Tears of Veeshan (I think,) and Atathus has appeared to several of the aerakyn in their dreams asking them to search near where The Nest used to be located in order to find the means to cross realities and get back to him. This area is in the Sinking Sands.

During the prelude, we discover an ancient crystal arca in a cave but we're unable to open it. A group of Hizite nomads helped us to locate the cave and the artifact, and at the start of the expansion they offer to have us join them in Hopewell Harbor, in the Raj'Dur Plateaus in southern Ro. This previously uninteresting area of the Desert of Ro has seen some habitation, but it's mostly nomads, pirates, and desert madmen.

I could go into the events of the expansion itself, but it might be a little early for spoilers there. I can say that personally, beyond the story events that we know about from questlines, I am fascinated by the Sandstone Delta. I can go into it more, but I think there's an extremely intriguing story being told there and I'm curious as to where it's going to lead.
  3. Cusashorn Well-Known Member

I have not completed the entire signature line yet, but here's a massive hint: A major player from the very start of the game is back.

I would hide away the spoilers if these forums allowed me to do so, so I might come back and post everything again after I complete the sig line.
    Breanna likes this.
  4. Drona Well-Known Member

Please tag it with spoilers in very bold text and post of summary of the quest lines. I prefer to read it as one concise text rather than the bit and bobs you get in game. Also I like to see how others took the story and maybe pick upon details I have missed.
  5. Cusashorn Well-Known Member

SPOILERS

. (TL;DR cliffnotes at the bottom)
    You arrive at the Raj'Dur Badlands seeking information on the crystal arca. You're suggested to speak with the local Qayyid for information, but he has gone missing. After finding that he's been poisoned by a local undead, you're tasked with seeking out a cure and waiting for him to recover. While he recovers, another Hizite named Jawdaw the Mystic reveals that he can decypher the crystal arca, along with his assistant, Riddan.

Riddan informs you that the Qayyid's attack must've been a plot of the local bandits, who have settled up in the cliffs to the north. After fashioning a bandit disguise and bribing your way into the camp, you soon learn that the bandits recently had a change in leadership, and the new leader is a female Duende -- an Earth Djinn -- named Aldys (that's her given name, not her true name of which gives all Djinns their power). She makes her exit after you save Riddan from her control.

Finally having a chance to speak with Qayyid Hakim al-Imam, you start investigating a clue into the combined draconic and ancient elvish languages inscribed on the crystal arca, which are surprising similar. This leads you to investigating the ancient ruins of Takish'Hiz. The ruins can be unsealed with the combined powers of three sigils scattered across the plains, but one of the sigils has been damaged and needs to be repaired by a representative of Growth. In Greater Faydark, you seek out Firiona Vie and inform her of what you've found. She once again thanks you for saving her life from the Ethernere all those years ago, and introduces you to her associate, a Cae'Dal geomancer named Nairion Eldi. Firiona agrees to help you, repairing the damaged sigil and eagerly traveling with you to Takish'Hiz.

As you delve inside Takish'Hiz, you discover numerous stone statues and unliving citizens. The fate that befell the city is a fate worse than death.

You find a citizen's journal, a troubling account of the events of the empire's final days. The King and Queen of the Elddar Empire held out hope that they could save the city and its citizens by reversing Solusek Ro's encroaching desert for as long as they could, but the citizens suffered and starved all the same. When the King and Queen finally departed with the last of the healthy citizens who could make the journey to far away lands, one elf seized his opportunity for power. He ordered all remaining citizens who were left behind to guard the city to undergo a geomantic transformation. When they finally died, they would be reborn inside their own bodies make of sand and stone. They no longer had a need for food, water, or breathing, but they were not impervious to death. Their bodies would reform, and each time a little more of their minds would be lost. Over the thousands of years buried inside the city, the citizens became mindless golems only capable of following the orders of their new master. Malechior Caedor created the Stone Curse and afflicted it upon everyone. Now he resides within the buried ruins of Takish'Hiz, enjoying his power over his servants.

Firiona Vie is taken aghast at the horrors that befell the empire, but it renewed her resolve. She decides that the lands have suffered long enough, and it was time to bring Growth back to the region. She begins performing the ritual on a Seed of Growth, but then bones suddenly start to show up.

The ritual goes wrong. During the process of spreading massive growth and vegetation throughout the desert, Lady Vox was resurrected. Lord Nagafen swoops in and laughs at how gullible you were to fall for such an easy trap.

The crystal arca that Silrena and Faezoth tasked you with discovering was a shaped Tear of Veeshan. Lord Nagafen had fooled them into thinking he was Atathus that sent that message to them across time threads. His ultimate goal was to bring his love Lady Vox back to life, and he succeeded.

As the ritual continues, Lady Vox mysteriously encases herself inside an egg. An army of Cursed Elddar arrive to destroy everything, but you fend them off long enough for the egg to hatch.

In a flash of light, Firiona Vie is completely gone, and what stands before you is Lady Vox, now physically transformed with growths and foliage sprouting from her body. Without saying a word, she flies off to parts unknown, even leaving Nagafen with no clue where she went. Nagafen departs. Nairion, Faezoth, and Silrena are shocked, but concerned about what happened to Firiona. They decide that it would be best for you to hold onto the arca, especially since you know what they are.

Outside of the ritual, you are approached by an angry Hizite. Opening up Takish'Hiz unleashed the stone curse upon Norrath. Anyone with even the slightest lineage of Elddar blood can be afflicted. Koada'Dal, Feir'Dal, Teir'Dal, Ayr'Dal, Myr'Dal, Sul'Dal, Cae'Dal, Ren'Dal, Kerig'Dal... Everyone. It's implied that many of the Hizite humans that settled in the area are themselves at least partial descendants of the Elddar elves, which is cause for them to worry.

Your investigations within the Takish Badlands lead you to follow sightings of red and white dragons traveling over the region. After a dragon lure ends up attracting a local angler beast instead of a dragon, Aldys' servant Zizzez sneaks up and steals away the crystal arca. You give chase and reclaim it back. Upon returning to Faezoth, you're informed that Nairion has been kidnapped while investigating the druid ring built on the island of Hu Haket. Your investigation leads you to Sandstone Delta.

Sandstone Delta seems to have a storied history. To the west, the effects of the Growth ritual seems to have blessed the soil to allow massive crops to grow. To the east is an ancient seabed, now raised above the water. To the north is a massive chunk of Luclin that crashed into the region, bringing a Shik'nar hive and shadowed beasts with them.

A Rujarkian Orc named Ulgaf is interested in starting a war between the two cyclop tribes, the Swordfury and Stormfury tribes. He seeks out glory in the name of the Hounds of War, and orchestrating this war with him is sure to please Tallon and Vallon Zek.

The Swordfury cyclopses seem to be corrupted by the shadowbeasts from Luclin. Many of them are acting against their will, but they still recognize the nearby Ortallians and Shik'Nar to be a threat.

Your travels bring you to a human named Salaera Taenaris. She's been exiled from the Ortallians because she can see that they've lost their way. They no longer truly worship Solusek Ro. Among the temple of Rath'Mana, the leaders of the Ortallians, has become corrupted by their own power and leadership.

Selaera Taenaeris says to you, "Against the corrupted mantle of leadership. Those whose comfort in power and personal glory now leads their decisions, not their faith in the Burning Prince. Theatrics, empty platitudes, and manipulated scriptures have dazzled those of the temple for far too long. I tried to speak out, but they refused to listen."

Assisting Selaera leads you to successfully sneak into Rath'Mana, where you learn that Nairion is to be sacrificed. You're able to save Nairion and draw out the leader, but Nagafen shows up in disappointment.

Nagafen: "Where is the other one? Where is Firiona!? This was not the elf of Growth I wanted you to capture, Villijs! Argggghhhh! Pathetic creatures! Scale mites, all of you! What have you done to her?! What have you done to my beloved!?"
    Nairon: "We didn't do anything to Lady Vox! I swear!"
    Nagafen: "If you will not tell me what you did, I shall have to see for myself!"
    Nairon: "My eyes! Agggh!

Nagafen stole away Nairon's sight. In the confusion, Zizzaz shows up and steals the crystal arca again while Nagafen flies away.

You take Nairon back to Hopewell Harbor to recover. You have to get that arca back from Aldys, Sultan of the Daggers. As you confront her again, Aldys effortlessly takes control of Silrena. You have to shatter her mirror to snap Silrena out of it. You're able to take back the arca, but Aldys once again takes her leave.

Back in Hopewell Harbor, Nairion seems to have recovered a bit. He is still blind because Nagafen indeed stole away his sight, but he has proven himself to be the new Protector of Growth, the title formerly held by Firiona Vie.

What has happened to her? That is the burning question. During the ritual, Firiona Vie's plea to bring Growth back to a lifeless desert was heard by Tunare. She has ascended! She is now the Demi-goddess of Renewal!

Nairon: "We had not known it, but we had been witnesses to her ascension. She is now the Demigod of Renewal! The Great Mother was moved by her plea for new growth, her love of the Mother's creations, and her willingness to sacrifice herself so others may blossom."

MAIN TAKEAWAYS:

- A power-hungry Earth Djinn is still out there, and she is certain to be back. So long as a Djinn keeps their true name hidden, their powers will remain uninhibited.
    - The Aerakyn were tricked by Nagafen into using a shaped Tear of Veeshan to focus life-giving growth magic.
    - Lady Vox has been resurrected, but she is now infused with Growth powers. Nagafen has no idea what is happening to her, and is frustrated that she didn't even acknowledge him as he stood before her.
    - The Stone Curse has been unleashed upon Norrath. Curing it wasn't something as simple as destroying all of the geomantic obelisks that Malechior Caedor left among the ruins of Takish'Hiz. Anyone and everyone of elven lineage may be at risk.
    - The large chunk of Luclin that crashed in Sandstone Delta brought Shik'Nar and Luclin's own shadowbeasts to Norrath. If left unchecked, the beasts in particular may corrupt more people outside of the area.
    - In order to advance your investigations into the Ortallians, you had to assist a Rujarkian Orc in starting a war between two Cyclops clans. This may have future implications.
    Amybelle, Zeoni, Pixistik and 5 others like this.
  6. Drona Well-Known Member

Looking forward to it. I like to see what the the lore experts of EQ2 thought about it. :) While doing the sig line I had this nagging feeling that I am missing lot of references and foreshadowing.
  7. Cusashorn Well-Known Member

It'll be interesting to see where the story goes from here. I'm glad they brought back such a key player in EverQuest's storyline.
    Breanna likes this.
  8. Dusano Matron of Lore and Innovation

Ops sorry had to edit some things i type too fast
    Thanks for the info all
    Shocking Revelations.....i already want the next expansion...
    I wonder what happened to Vox will she change alliances will she start to worship Growth?
    What about Firiona Omg and I wonder if they will bring Vox and Nagafen Eggs Plot in the Future!!!!....
    I wish i could be playing now but computer needs some repairs
    Well i hope to return as soon as i can to see it for myself...
    Now a moment of silence for Firiona she is gone but wont be forgotten.....like a certain goddess hehehe
  9. Dusano Matron of Lore and Innovation

I wonder how her friends will feel now she (Firiona) has evolved into a divine state....poor Duality, Elves , Antonia, and more.....and i wonder who will lead the elves....i wonder Lenya will try to force claim even if she is vampire she still royalty right? If she still unlive i dont remember if we killed her permanent...did we,?
  10. Miragian Well-Known Member

I think Lenya is dead canonically thanks to the end of VoV.
  11. Zeoni Member

All I can say is damn it. Not because of the spoiler but got to wait until Next Exp.
  12. Xavion Well-Known Member

i thought firona posseed vox and thats why she was infused with growth liek she sacrficed her self to take over vox and run away
  13. Cusashorn Well-Known Member

The thought crossed my mind as well, but I definitely think that Vox and Firiona Vie may be connected to each other now. Maybe Vox is now the physical avatar of Firiona Vie? We'll have to find out in the future.
  14. Ronoc Member

several things and questions:

if theres anything i want explained its Nagafen's new model. is there a reason for his new appearance? or are the devs doing some weird stuff where they just make new models for the sake of making new models (aforementioned Naggy, cyclops, desert people, hooluks (Zimara), vampires like Mayong (Vetrovia), but leaving stuff like Tserrina in tact being some recent examples).

the Luclinite found in the Delta would have been there for a long time, so i think the spread of the shadow beasts and Shik'Nar has remained within that region. the Shik'Nar do not strike me as the type of stray too far from their nest or home, seeing as we have rarely seen them out of their hive in the Blinding. theres also the type of Luclinite found there. its green, like the stuff found in Antonica and Kunark, not the Balazite we find on Luclin, so its old bits, before Jorlak reformed the moon, so it cant have fallen there recently, surely we would have heard about it by now, like we did with the steel crashing into Unrest and Thundering Steppes from the Maedjinn invasion of the Hooluk

why is Firiona Vie back? i thought she died in Chains of Eternity, and i dont remember bringing her back from Ethernere in that timeline. did Tunare strike a deal with Drinal to return her to Norrath?
  15. Benj Well-Known Member

Firiona didn't exactly "die" in Chains of Eternity. Her soul was ripped from her body prematurely. At the end of that expansion, we freed Drinal from his insanity, and he agreed to send back every soul that had been snatched this way, including Firiona's. She was a major player in several events following CoE as well.
    Twyla likes this.
  16. Cusashorn Well-Known Member

She was also at the Battle of Age's End that took place after CoE -- her Lifeguide Staff was crucial to winning the battle.

The Luclin part was speculation on my part, but there's nothing ruling out that it still could be something in the future. I doubt it will be, but still.
    Twyla likes this.
  17. Bramdar Active Member

I'm intrigued by the geography of Sandstone Delta, and the events going on there. It's been over a year since it was introduced, too, so hopefully this isn't too spoiler-y.

Spoilers for Sandstone Delta below, though, in case you want to see the zone for yourself first.

If you run around the Sandstone Delta zone discovering areas, and you check out the instances (especially Eye of Night,) it starts to look like the swordfury cyclopes are under some sort of shadowy Luclinite influence, and may or may not be fighting the Ortallians (Solusek Ro zealots.) The shik'nar and Ortallians are definitely fighting each other in that instance, but we don't get to participate in that battle.

But the zone geography is interesting too. Half of the Delta is raised seabed (raised along with the Serpentspine Mountains that Solusek Ro performed to create the Desert of Ro?) But the zone is cut in half by the Lifire River (I know that Lifire is the name of Firiona Vie's staff, but does the river itself have any other special significance?) The Lifire River flows down a waterfall into the Delta, where it's fed by a small steam coming from the newly revived Growth in Takish'Hiz, and it empties out in an area called the Mouth of Prexus, although one of the chunks of Luclin is (mostly) blocking the water, causing a massive whirlpool. Oh, and the waterfall along the Life River's path in the northern part of the delta is called Godsfall.

I have no idea if any of the details in this zone will come up again. But I definitely found this zone interesting, and I can't help but think that "Godsfall" could be a double meaning.
  18. Cusashorn Well-Known Member

She wields the Lifeguide Staff.

Anyway, this thread was made at the start of last year's expansion and was only necro'd the other day for unknown reasons.