Returning Player - A Few Questions

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Sucuri, Nov 9, 2022.

1. Sucuri Active Member

So, it has been about 500 days since I last logged into the game to play it. I have an army of 95-120s. I also have no idea what is going on at those levels anymore. So, I want to start over. Fresh level 1s. I also want to give boxing a try. I am 99% sure I want to go with a Shadowknight for a tank (I remember tank mercs being a joke). Easy to focus on I think. Is there a tank that has better AoE? I don't remember to well. I am open to other tanks, if one of them is easier / better for boxxing.

I am not sure what else to play is my main issue. I have 2 other accounts, so a 3 box is possible. With mercs I just don't know how to do this. Should I box 1 healer, or just use 2 healer mercs? Box 2 DPS, or use merc DPS? I am not sure what a good combo with a shadowknight would be. What 2 other classes go best with the shadowknight, and what mercs would be best to go with that trio?

I noticed they changed how merc's stats work now I think, the quality of merc means the more stats it takes from your stats? Is there a way to get a Celestial quality merc early on? or Fabled?

Also, what expansion / zones can F2P people play now days?

Good way for a returning player who is F2P to make money?

Any important things I should be doing? I remember there being a familiar daily, that is about it.
    Soara2 likes this.
  2. AvenElonis Well-Known Member

Well pre-order the new exapc (any level) and get the new pet (+20k potency). Once expac goes live - you can't get the pet anymore.

While boxing is doable - I don't many people that doing it well. That being said - one of the best players in our guild can do it. Not me :)

Terrors of Thalumbra and on are not available to FTP (I think FTP is capped at level 100).

But I also think the subscription is worth it :)
    Soara2 likes this.
  3. Sucuri Active Member

Thanks for the info, but I am a bit low on funds at the moment. Seems I do have blood of luclin on my main account.

I can 3-4 box on EQ1 pretty well, you wouldn't recommend it on eq2?
    Soara2 likes this.
  4. AvenElonis Well-Known Member

Boxing with 2 is possible - but I can't do it :) The new expac is $35 for the standard edition and you can upgrade later - but it will get your pre-order pet.

In EQ1 I have been told you can box a whole raid :) But groups are generally more likely on EQ2 due how it set up.
    Soara2 likes this.
  5. Sucuri Active Member

Yea, I don't really have $15 for a sub right now, let alone $35 for an expansion sadly. :(
    If I did I would love to get into the newer content! Maybe later I could afford that, living off a fixed income seriously sucks.
    I'd miss out on the pre order bonus sadly.

Ok, good to know about the boxing thing. Thanks! :D
    Soara2 likes this.
  6. AvenElonis Well-Known Member

I am on a fixed income - retired :) But I play the game enough that $250 a year seems reasonable to me :)
    Maviarab and Soara2 like this.
  7. Sucuri Active Member

Fighting over SSI, so living off 0 a year right now.... o_O
    Savings doesn't last forever, getting a bit nervous myself.
    Soara2 likes this.
  8. Dude Well-Known Member

There is a LOT of bad information about what is available in terms of expansions and levels. Being a paid member or F2P has NO IMPACT on this AT ALL.

Anyone, paid member or F2P, has access up to AoM without buying anything. The level cap for AoM is 100. If you bought any expansion past AoM, you have access up to that expansion and your level cap is whatever the cap is for that expansion. Since you said you have level 120 toons, you have at least BoL. Well, on that account at least.
    Soara2 and Sucuri like this.
  9. Soara2 Well-Known Member

Level 1s stink. After doing Pop on all mine, I don't want to ever start a new one just to have to go through that again. Yes it takes just a few hours, but multiply it by like 45 and I was ready to rip out my hair. Also they keep nerfing the experience and it is slower and slower btw. What was two hours to begin with is last year's seven hours. Just saying. Since you are returning, you can go at your own pace. It's not like you won't have the time to get to know your army again. BoL repeatable at the spires is a plat, and you can farm moonlight enchantments or other event items for money, or harvests, if you don't have crafters. Also people like me pay a lot for appearance gear. Crystal caverns is a good place to farm that. Also if you have services you can offer like decorating or power leveling or something else and selling status to players are also options. As far as boxing, I would go with sk, fury and Necro, but that is just me. Also the moonlight I would go with are the misty tiles . And stock up the event tiles, and building blocks that are super cheap and sell them a couple months later.
  10. Sucuri Active Member

I am one of those weird people who delete max level characters to do it all over again. I just don't care about end game content the same way others do. Crafting, leveling alts, doing events, making plat, those things I can get behind :D

Sk, fury, necro you say, hmm, any reason why those 3 in particular?

I forgot all about the moonlight enchantments thing to be honest. I used to farm it to make my own grotto. Some cool items there. Did they ever update it or add any new ones?
    Soara2 and Dude like this.
  11. Twyla Well-Known Member

Yes, there are several new items for Moonlight.
    Sucuri and Soara2 like this.
  12. Soara2 Well-Known Member

I love playing those three classes is all. They all have a way to prevent losing their power and can heal. Plus you have a pet with you or two depending on level, so it adds more melee. and for easier stuff, you can focus on any of them and stick the other two on auto follow. It's fun to see what each are capable of on their own.
  13. Sucuri Active Member

Ok cool :D
    Soara2 likes this.
  14. Brailyn Member

currently, out of the box new accounts, are only f2p up to AoM ??
    Soara2 likes this.
  15. Sucuri Active Member

I've had all 3 accounts since 2008 or so. Main account has BoL, 2 side accounts are silver, I assume just to AoM. All 3 are F2P for now.
    Soara2 likes this.
  16. Dude Well-Known Member

Subscription status (ie. F2P vs paid subscriber) and what expansion you have are two completely unrelated things.

Everyone, F2P and paid subscribers, only have up to AoM/level 100, without buying an expansion.

If you bought an expansion past AoM, you have up to that expansion and its associated level cap, regardless of subscription status.

To get all expansions, you have to buy the currently available expansion, which is the pre-order of VoV.
    Sucuri, Xillean and Twyla like this.
  17. Sucuri Active Member

Still curious as to this one... I noticed they changed how merc's stats work now I think, the quality of merc means the more stats it takes from your stats? Is there a way to get a Celestial quality merc early on? or Fabled? I also assume Fabled is the best a F2P account can learn, or use?

Also this, Any important things I should be doing? I remember there being a familiar daily, that is about it.
  18. Dude Well-Known Member

Is this what you're looking for?

https://eq2.fandom.com/wiki/Mercenary_Stat_Comparisons
    Limited Stat Use

Mercenaries don't utilize the primary stats the way you'd expect a player character to do. According to Gninja, mercenaries pretty much only use strength to calculate their offensive ability. They do not use the primary stat for a class like players do of that particular class, partly because several mercenaries are hybrid classes. In 2020, mercenary stats were changed to become a percentage of the player's stats. Celestial mercenaries will share 80% of the owners stats, Fabled mercenaries will share 60%, Legendary 50%, and Treasured share 40%.
    Sucuri likes this.
  19. Sucuri Active Member

Is there a way to get a Celestial quality merc early on? or Fabled? I also assume Fabled is the best a F2P account can learn, or use?
  20. Dude Well-Known Member

I really don't know the answers to those questions. Unless something has changed, though, it doesn't really matter in the early levels. Mercs were (possibly still are) completely overpowered up until level 100. Then they basically become cure/heal bots when you're soloing or are just used for the battalion buff.