Confirmed Ambient Occlusion on Mouse-Over

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Sturmlocke, Aug 11, 2021.

1. Riddlemyst New Member

Any luck with this? I'm a new player hopping on TLE Varsoon and the Ambient Occlusion on mouseover is still happening... Thanks!
  2. Maergoth Well-Known Member

If you disable in-game antialiasing, the problem is suppressed. Not ideal, but it's something at least.
    Aethos and Twyla like this.
  3. Aethos Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tip - I think I'll try that. Do you happen to know if the problem returns if I were to say, use NVidia settings for anti-aliasing?

The game can often look great, but I often have the same issues as described by the OP here. Sometimes I find occasionally re-loading my saved settings will restore it, but yeah.
  4. Sturmlocke Linux enthusiast playing EQ2 via Proton.

Waiting for the fixes to land in Ro Beta so I can try it out :) Currently Beta has disabled shadows. I can only assume that they will be working on cosmetics / graphics in the last part of their Beta enhancements, makes sense after all. Maybe they can take this chance to add better antialiasing options, amd fsr, anisotropic filtering and more to the in game options for ease of use.

Also really looking forward to the water fixes, can't wait to see those ripples and waves come back!
    Aethos and Michaile like this.
  5. Riddlemyst New Member

My apologies by the way. I thought the post I replied to was referencing something that had already launched. Will wait patiently and hope for fixes with the upcoming expansion! :)

Also, thanks for all of the responses and help folks.
    Sturmlocke likes this.
  6. Sturmlocke Linux enthusiast playing EQ2 via Proton.

How's it working for you now? I ask bc it seems the powers that be removed the Anti Aliasing options the game had during the Ro expac Beta, see here: https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...-anliasing-option-missing-in-settings.606921/

AA was reported to be causing compat issues with the shadows we use in game. This leads me to believe that both water, AA and shadows are WIP post Ro launch? https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq2/index.php?threads/water-and-shadow-fixes.606941/

In other words, the "fix" to this wasn't the removal of AA, right? I hope to see AA make a comeback and made compatible with shadows and ofc I am on standby for the water fixes. Will patiently wait with the others here, just wanna make sure it's still on the list.

Oh and I also wanted to throw this in here while we're at it: https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...-command-and-other-deprecated-options.605894/

Cheers
  7. Sturmlocke Linux enthusiast playing EQ2 via Proton.

Update

Been testing the game since the removal of in-game AA and it seems the mouseover + AO issue has been reduced or fixed on my end. Not sure though, gotta do more testing, could also just be my imagination. What I can confirm with certainty so far is that:

• water ripples still is an issue
    • water reflections are still an issue depending on your viewpoint to the water
    • shadows glitch through the world terrain still present
    Tested all of these in different regions and locations ofc. Here a few screenshots:

[IMG]
    Normal

[IMG]
    Moved viewing angle a few millimeters to the right

[IMG]
    Shadows glitching through the game world

Would really love to see Anti Aliasing make a quick comeback somehow though, bc on Linux my system doesn't play nicely when enforcing it globally or via Steam per title, which more often than not interferes with my screen recording and video editing software (plus it's somewhat of a pain to setup properly). Since I rely on AA for nice and crisp EQ2 Youtube videos, I am considering using something called VkBasalt in order to force FXAA or SMAA (Fast Approximate Anti-Aliasing, Subpixel Morphological Anti-Aliasing) onto the final Vulkan image when playing through Steam Proton for the time being. VkBasalt is similar to Reshade and I won't be injecting or modifying any dlls etc., but I would really prefer an updated in-game setting for AA instead, bc some Anticheat software could potentially cause issues with methods like VkBasalt or Reshade due to the way these shaders get implemented into a multiplayer game.

More info on Vkbasalt here.

Will continue testing, wip.
    Breanna likes this.
  8. Sturmlocke Linux enthusiast playing EQ2 via Proton.

[IMG]

I just stopped by to share one of the comments I got on my Youtube EQ2R channel the other day, hoping that it motivates you guys further. I'm seeing lots of positive feedback lately, and this one is no different. Some ppl comment just to appreciate the fact that the EQ franchise is still alive, others take note of the beautiful attention to detail, a few are just new and curious and some are just happy to see their childhood game again. It varies from person to person. In the comment you see in the picture above, a person was watching one of my videos and left a few words for you guys, the EQ2 devs. I thought it might be a good idea to share this with ya'll :) A lot of us out there appreciate the attention to detail *thumbsup* I can only assume you guys are working on something for the upcoming DirectX11 upgrade, and if so, keep pushing the limits ladies and gentlemen.

Water is life:

Breanna likes this.