Future of EQ2

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by angrypanda, Nov 4, 2022.

1. angrypanda New Member

Just wondering, as I am tempted to get back into EQ2, as I have been enjoying my time on EQ1.

However, I am getting the feeling the life span of EQ2 isn't so hot atm?
    Soara2 likes this.
  2. AvenElonis Well-Known Member

We have at least 2 maybe 3 from EQ1 in our guild on EQ2. As far as I can tell they don't play EQ1 anymore - they think the user interface and graphic are much better. Also 6 boxing and raid boxing that happens EQ1 doesn't happen on the EQ2 (per those former EQ1 players).

As I hear groups are much more likely on EQ2 due to how the mechanics are setup.

I think of EQ1 as DOS and EQ2 as Windows as far as the user interface is concerned. :)
    Sturmlocke, Soara2 and Sigrdrifa like this.
  3. Arandar Well-Known Member

Except for the advanced loot system in EQ, it is light years beyond what we have in EQ2. Particularly the ability to blacklist loot you never want to see and to have it automatically exclude lore loot you already have and never make you have to click through annoying popups, ever again.
    Sigrdrifa likes this.
  4. Geroblue Well-Known Member

Yeah, I played EQ for years. Came over here. Playing EQ is like watching B&W tv, and EQ II is color.

There are things I like about EQ; the ability to have a one person guild with no paying, and the loot interface as mentioned.
    Sturmlocke, Soara2 and Breanna like this.
  5. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

EQ1 is still running, isn't it? We've gone along for over 15 years now with people saying "oh woes the sky is falling the game will be dead in X months/weeks/days" etc. And we're still here and still getting new expansions.

It's a US$15/month subscription. If that's too rich for your blood, you can play free. So what's the risk?
    Mellody, Sturmlocke, Soara2 and 2 others like this.
  6. Dude Well-Known Member

What gives you that feeling? I'm not saying it's not dying; all games do at some point, but there's a new expansion about to release.

More people play EQ than EQ2. Well, it makes more money, so I may be making an assumption about the number of players in EQ.

I don't disagree with you, but if you're going to be here every day, you really should update that signature. :p
    Soara2 and Breanna like this.
  7. Zeoni Member

The fans of EQ 1 have always told SOE/Daybreak Games they need to put EQ1 in a New engine or Redo it in a new Engine. Nope here a little bit define but we will not Redo EQ1. It's so old school but the risk of losing the Fans or having Scribers cancel because they have to restart from level 1 in EQ 1 Remake. It's like EQ 1 Remake Would mostly kill EQ 1 and hurt EQ 2 and this is from 2004 to today. So instead they do risk when The fan only wanted a EQ 1 Remake just to do improvements to the life of EQ 1 and keep it going. So yes EQ 1 & EQ 2 are here just the way they were. Don't even look at the fan levels of EQ 1 in Unreal Engine 5\ Unity on Youtube you'll end up hating yourself for it.
  8. Geroblue Well-Known Member

My feeling is if they do redo EQ, they should also be able to store levels, gear, guilds, etc. of every character, then update the graphics. Reload the character/guild/town data.
    Soara2 and Breanna like this.
  9. Zeoni Member

That is why they never did it. You have to go it's a New Game and how much to lose. Gear yes it'll be there but not the gear you had and levels you be starting at level 1 and that is why Everything a Nope, Never going to do it. Funny part is the Players that have been there since Day 1 they were willing to say yes Do it please. Today: Nope The first Day of Release Vs. The New players.
  10. Arandar Well-Known Member

I think you underestimate the number of people who are completely willing to start over from scratch if it means getting that "new server" smell. How long they stay depends on how good the redesign is. The TLEs are enormously popular because of the fresh start, and that's not new anything.

This is all pie-in-the-sky stuff though. Would it be great if they moved away from this dinosaur of an engine and switched to something like UE5? Sure. But they don't have the resources to do what they need to do now with the live service games. Without some massive investment, a completely separate team and 3-5 years, it's not going to happen.
  11. Soara2 Well-Known Member

I myself would just quit games all together if it did die out. This game here was like my dream game compared to eq1. The only thing I miss was multi kiting on my druid, getting groups all day and my friends from eq1, which abruptly ended when I lost my name anyway. The game itself seemed all over the place for my tastes and leveling was like hell levels for the entire time I was playing. It was not a game set up for casual play, that's for sure. Going to another game from eq2 would be like going from steak to balogne
  12. Geroblue Well-Known Member

A few years ago I tried over a two year period 12 to 15 rpg MMOs. They didn't measure up to EQ/EQII.