Another Idea to Reduce Inflation

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Keffin, Sep 20, 2022.

1. Keffin Member

One way to get the excess plat out of the game and not have it affect gameplay in a negative way, is to make guild halls and high end homes rent higher. Guild halls and homes are a luxury and do not really affect one players ability over another. If guild halls start costing the average price that a Krono sold for the previous month to maintain, I think we will see the plat start seeping out of the economy. This way players actively control the economy through their Kronos purchases. Their would also be a lot less guild halls and everyone will be living in cities again. Only the truly wealthy would be able to maintain guildhalls and expensive homes. People that want to have super nice guild halls might have to charge dues to guild members keep the doors open.

This may hurt some players more that others because I know many people are really attracted to the designing aspect of guildhalls and homes. Perhaps EQ could start a weekly Designer quest series that takes enough time for those people who want to focus on designing and decorating to forgo their monthly rent, but tedious enough that non decorators and people who do not love that part of the game, would rather just pay the plat for rent.

Let the flames ignite...
    Avirodar likes this.
  2. Beee Well-Known Member

A lot of guildhalls are for the remainings of a guild.. just 1 or 2 active players.
    Rising the cost will kill these guilds
    Breanna and Mizery like this.
  3. Avirodar Well-Known Member

When you word it like that, it makes the idea presented by the OP more appealing. A bunch of guild halls that only exist because of 1 or 2 "remainings" sounds so depressing.

Maybe those that you speak of could form a new guild that actually has more than 1-2 active players. For most people, having fond memories of the past is great, but looking toward the future is better. I am sure some prefer the rocking chair on the front porch, stories of the good old days, get off my lawn style of living. All power to them, I guess.

Guild halls were introduced to the game catering to active guilds, and were not cheap. It would actually help the economy if guild hall costs were adjusted to go up in line with plat-flation.
  4. rutro Well-Known Member

Good!
  5. Mugwort Active Member

Since I do not play EQ, I have no comment on how this would impact Guilds Halls and housing in Everquest.

However, I am not sure that EQ2 players would accept a heavy "taxation", especially on Marketplace Guild Halls or Prestige houses, and housing/Guild halls that are earned through questing and housing picked up through the loyalty merchant or purchasing CE and Premium editions of an expansion.

I suppose a "luxury" house is a house that requires a Guild and a certain number of prestige points to purchase. Anyone in a guild can purchase one of those houses if the guild they are in as at the required level.

But, if someone wins a LoN "magical manor" in Halas, Gorowyn, Freeport or Qeynos, would they also be subjected to that same "taxation"? And what about the similar homes that do not require status points to purchase.

And who would write the code to sort it all out.
  6. Keffin Member

Another idea is they could make it a "war" tax and have a story where Qeynos and Freeport have broken into open war. You could pay your taxes through either contributing massive amounts of crafting quest, or missions to defend your city from opposing forces, but again it would have to be tedious enough so that many players would rather just pay the plat.

This also does not have to be forever, they could turn it on and off and use it as a way to manage the plat in game and inflation.
  7. Keffin Member

I meant EQ2.

Also these are just brainstorming ideas to get the inflation down. I am not married to them.
    Mugwort likes this.
  8. Mugwort Active Member

And so, if someone is not rolling around and luxuriating in their piles of platinum, they cannot participate in this platinum absorbing event.

The idea of the crafting quest and "war" tax sounds similar to Update: 48 when guild halls were first introduced. Players were given the chance to help gather construction materials.

Info found here:

https://eq2.fandom.com/wiki/Construction_Materials

Maybe something like this? But instead of a reward, their platinum is syphoned from them? Why not let the "rich" become benefactors and donate to the poor so they can participate, and as a result, they can feel better about not having the burden of carrying so many coins and then they can stop complaining about having nothing to spend all those coins on. Oh, and something must be done about Qeynos because the citizens are already complaining about taxation in the streets. The Queen might hesitate backing such an enterprise. After all, Qeynos and Freeport has already been rebuilt and "reborn" at a great cost.

Instead, what if such an event occurred to bring back the old neighborhoods. Bringing back the old neighborhoods is something many can agree on, even the rulers of Qeynos and Freeport. Just how much of their platinum would a player invest to get them back.

Personally, I think they should mint new coins. Hard cap a max until the developers decide a new coin is needed.

Better yet, go all nostalgia and return weight encumbrance to coins only and make the seller pay the fees on the broker.

The rich would be so encumbered by the weight of their coins that they would have to either sell within their encumbrance or deal with the max available on the broker and pay a fee on top of that.

Of course, everything I say could be construed as satirical.

But, waging war against the ones that took over the neighborhoods in Qeynos and Freeport is something I think anyone could get behind and it's been years since they took up residence in the "hoods" and it's time to chase them out, once and for all and could be a fun event for everyone.
  9. Prayos Well-Known Member

Raising the rent wouldn't do anything. Every single player has access to rent free homes in one form or another. Unless you're going to start charging rent for the housing we can buy on the marketplace, or the houses that the players get for preordering expansions. And, correct me if I'm wrong, but there's also rent free guild halls. This just isn't a viable option in any regard.

As it stands, there are a hundred and one ideas on how to fix the inflation, and a thousand reasons why each one isn't a good idea. Ultimately, if the player base wants a solution, we're going to have to be willing to deal with some sort of negative impact. There's just no way around it.
  10. Keffin Member

That is what I am talking about, no more rent free luxury homes, until plat can be reduced on the server.
    This method of inflation control via "rent or tax" can be adjusted by server to make it applicable to the amount of inflation per server.
  11. Dude Well-Known Member

So your idea is to punish people who paid money for marketplace homes or LON decks to get special homes. No thank you.
    Tkia, Breanna, Mizery and 1 other person like this.
  12. Keffin Member

Just an idea to reduce inflation. You wouldn't lose your home, but it may not be accessible until the rent is paid or the "war" is over. And there would be alternative ways to pay for your luxury home via a new quest weekly or something if you really want to keep it open.
  13. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Removing excess plat from the economy is going to pinch some people no matter what it is. I thing DBG should just vastly increase plat sinks until the economy is better, no matter how much screaming there is about it.

Then remind people frequently that those pain points are because of yahoos cheating, and suggest that if you don't want the economic pain, yoiu should report people plat duping and exploiting ASAP.
  14. Prayos Well-Known Member

Yeah, then no one would ever purchase the housing on the marketplace AND you're reducing the incentive of purchasing a higher tier expansion pack. Not really gonna happen. To echo Sig, temporary plat sinks are probably the best route. No matter what they do to fix it it's going to strike a nerve with someone.
    Spextasy likes this.
  15. Keffin Member

As I said, it wouldn't be permanent, and if you want the big house you can do a weekly quest to pay the rent instead. It would reduce inflation and drain excess plat from the server without artificial plat squashes. Then the broker prices can come down and perhaps new players will have a chance at coming in to this aging population of players.
  16. Dude Well-Known Member

New players? Probably the most likely pool of new players are going to be decorators, who won't be able to afford a house to decorate. It's a bad idea.
    Tkia, Breanna, Mizery and 1 other person like this.
  17. Tanto Done, finished, gone.

Posts like this grossly underestimate the wealth of the top few players on each server. You can't put a dent in that sort of wealth without making life unbearable for everyone else. The plat dupes should have been dealt with correctly back when they occurred. Measures should have been put in place after the first dupe to ensure any future ones could be tracked easily, all the money removed from the game and the duping accounts permanently banned. The devs/higher ups didn't have the spine or the will to do that and what you have now is the consequence. You won't fix it now, it'd just do too much damage and drive a massive chunk of the remaining players away. Really posts about the game economy should be sniped by admin as soon as they're made. They're not in any way productive and there is no solution.
    Tkia, Mizery, Gharyn and 2 others like this.
  18. Keffin Member

Wow, what fatalistic view.
  19. Tanto Done, finished, gone.

When you're being realistic in a conversation about EQ2, that's exactly what it is. Yes.
    Tkia, Mizery, Spextasy and 1 other person like this.
  20. Smashey Well-Known Member

The only way to reduce inflation is to keep making stupid expensive adornment sets like den 2 and the price paid charm.

Players who didnt sell krono will suffer for years, while the people who sold krono for billions can keep going for years and will tell developers and forum users there are no economy issues.