An unsere deutsche Community

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Sturmlocke, Sep 6, 2022.

1. Sturmlocke Linux enthusiast playing EQ2 via Proton.

Hail and well met,

right to the point. We all know the EU localization for EQ2 was dropped some time ago, I read it's because of engine / tools limiations, and I also read that there aren't enough ressources available to fix this in order to bring it back. Been seeing ppl from my country pop-up every now and then, asking for DE support, so I thought it might be a good idea to make a thread where all voices can be gathered as one.

If you are from the EU / Germany, please upvote this post for everyones sake who can't deal with the english language.

Servus allerseits. Kurz und knapp: Seid ihr aus Deutschland und der englischen Sprache nicht mächtig, gebt diesem Post bitte 'nen Daumen hoch, damit die verlorengegangene deutsche Lokalisierung bzw. die deutsche Übersetzung aus dem englischen wieder eingeführt werden kann.

Also an alle meine Landsleute - ihr seid nicht allein.

Now let's see how many actually care and if there is actually a market left here.

Cheers
    Shaana78, Blackfurry, Naduja and 4 others like this.
  2. Naramee Active Member

da bin ich echt dafür, man wird regelrecht raus gedrängt von anders sprachigen, zwar nicht in bösen Sinne, aber es ist ein rausdrängeln. Und der Server Thurgadin wird leerer und leerer. Ich sprech zwar englisch recht gut und schreib es auch gut, aber wenn ich seh das jeden Tag ein andereraufgibt, weil ihm das übersetzen und verstehen zu zeitraubend und nervend ist, find ich das nicht schön. Aber ich kenne etliche die gerne wieder kommen würden wenn sie nur die Sprache verstehen würden. ICH BIN FÜR DIE DEUTSCHE SPRACHE IM SPIEL
    Sturmlocke likes this.
  3. Shunio Member

bin auch dafür das es wider auf detusch sein sollte ,fand es nicht wirklich fair gegen die was nicht englisch könen
    Sturmlocke likes this.
  4. Hellfiren Well-Known Member

Hello guys, i am from germany too and my grammer in englisch isnt the best, but you should remind one point if playing online games.
    Ther are 3 major goverment and company use languages at all French // Spanish or Portugues // English and you wont find a game with only countrybound languge anymore.
    Most used is englisch in games and other worldwiede comuication like in Air and Sea comuication english is the chosen and must have Language.

And as well you can write or speak german in EQ2 to join channel Valor the game it self would never go back to country bound because its an EU so international server and the german translation of quets and items from englisch to german was horrid in the past so many wrong translated stuff and issus in quest we had. Now its English all around and its fine this way.

" Den ganzen Kram wieder ins deutsche zu übersetzten weil manche zu faul sind halte ich für Unsinn, wenn du aus Alters oder anderen Gründen Probleme mit Englisch hast, hast du die auch im Real Leben also entweder tust was dagegen oder nicht."

Das Kauderwelsch was wir hatten als der es die Übersetzungnoch hatten das war ja gruselig.

MFG Hellfiren
    Dude, Ayodi and Pixistik like this.
  5. Ayodi Active Member

^^^ Dito.

-the Ayodi
  6. ttobey Makes the Monsters Move

Guten Tag! Wie Gehts?
    And that's it for my German.
    Twyla, Beee and Sturmlocke like this.
  7. Sturmlocke Linux enthusiast playing EQ2 via Proton.

Grüße, das Kauderwelsch war aber besser als gar nichts. Beispiel: Zwei Kumpel von mir haben früher aktiv EQ2 gespielt, Kauderwelsch hin oder her, und jetzt nicht mehr, da sie kein english beherrschen bzw. ihr english miserabel ist. Sie würden sich mir gern anschließen, können aber nicht. Beide Jungs sind intelligent, stehen mit beiden Beinen im Leben, legen ihren Fokus jedoch auf andere Dinge im Leben als Sprachen. Nur weil englisch eine international anerkannte und beliebte Weltsprache im business Sektor ist, heißt das nicht, dass alle deutschen Bürger die Sprache für reine Entertainment Zwecke können müssen.

Menschen als "faul" abzustempeln, weil sie sich nicht für andere Sprachen interessieren, oder andere Sprachen eventuell nicht lernen können, ist mMn ganz schön hart ausgedrückt. Jeder hat seine Stärken und Schwächen woanders und viele können keine weiteren Sprachen lernen. Manche brains sind einfach so, egal wie oft man es versucht. Ich kenne viele, viele Menschen, die keine Zweitsprache beherrschen, aber ganz normal durch das Leben ziehen. Wir leben schließlich in Deutschland und nicht in England oder den USA. Möchte man Spieler in DE ansprechen, dann sollte man allein schon aus Respekt die native Heimatsprache unterstützen.

Kontrabeispiel: China wird auf - allen - Ebenen immer stärker, ist nicht mehr aufzuhalten. In Zukunft könnte sich also chinesisch als Weltsprache etablieren. Angenommen EQ2 wäre von heute auf morgen nur noch auf chinesisch verfügbar, wie würdest Du darüber denken? Würdest Du chinesisch lernen wollen, wenn eine neue Weltmacht das zum Standard macht? Glaube nicht, dass es Dir so viel Spaß machen würde mit einem Wörterbuch in der Hand zu zocken, nicht wahr? Oder hey, stell Dir vor, wenn jetzt alle Filme in Deutschland nur noch auf chinesisch verfügbar sind. Wieso nicht gleich auch alle Betriebssysteme und die Smartphones. Die Gefahr ist auf jeden Fall vorhanden und diese zu unterschätzen ist nicht empfehlenswert.

Translated:

Basically using a contra argument to Hellfiren's statement here, because I feel like it's brutal saying that ppl are lazy bc they don't speak or understand the english language (he / she said that in his german line of text). Hell claims that the german localization wasn't all that good, but at least it got the point accross. Not being that good and less readable / understandable is better than not being able to understand it at all. One version broadens your audience and allows ppl from around the world to give your product a try, the other literally completely isolates us and locks other ppl out wanting to give this gem of a world a try. Fun fsct: Two intelligent friends of mine don't do english that well, or at all for that matter, so they had to stop playing EQ2. They live life just fine btw, playing a different mmo that supports their language instead of giving that cash to dbg.

I made an example: China is increasingly becoming one of the worlds most powerful countries on - all - levels, reaching leadership position, and drastically improving quality while keeping prices low as well. Amazon is filled with cheap and well functioning chinese brands nowadays, many other huge e-shops are following the same trend. Underestimating our adversaries alias the competition (China) is super dangerous IMO. Anyway, some ppl claim that chinese has the potential to replace english as the world language one day - or at the very least compete with it on mutual ground. Considering how China can't be beaten on a price / performance level due to our higher western standards (higher payment, social security, health care, max working hours etc.), imagine if a new worldpower suddenly decides that chinese is the new world language, or at least one that replaces english on many levels, and now we have to adapt and learn it or die (in Germany we call this the "friss oder stirb Mentalität"). Would ya'll be happy playing EQ2 in chinese only? Imagine having to play with a dictionary in your hand all the time. Or hey, imagine this: ALL of our western movies are only viewable in chinese from one day to the other. Using Windows in eng? Hey, introducing: CHINAOS, now you have to be able to speak and understand chinese in order to use your computer. Would you give in and learn chinese as a US citizen? Hm...

Furthermore, Hell also claims that ppl not being able to understand english are going to have other issues in life one way or the other. That's simply not true. I know a lot of ppl that don't speak or understand a secondary language, and they are living life just fine. You wanted my business initially, and provided support for it in my native language, so if you want to continue to have that same business relationship with me, please respect the fact that this is Germany and not the US, England or any other english speaking country for that matter.

[IMG]

According to a statistic from 2019, only about 20 percent of the US citizens spoke a secondary language at home or at all. That means around 80 percent stick to their native tongue, which is english, for obvious reasons. Asking other countries to learn secondary languages, even though the own population doesn't follow that trend at all, is a bit strange, if you ask me.

Listen, not everyone is as good with languages like the rest of us, and asking an entire nation to focus on a foreign language isn't fair at all IMO. Everyone is good at different things, some good at math, some with languages, some with *instertsomethinghere*. Just because I am a mad and genious scientist in one specific field, doesn't mean that I expect the entire world to follow suit. Then again, that's exactly what happend during the pandemic. Creepy what that could imply.

Last but not least, EQ2 supported many, many languages from the get go. It's not like secondary languages were a very late afterthought. Heck, my EQ2 retail boxes are all in german. In other words, the product was initially sold and marketed as an internationally accessible game, and losing that status down the line is a real shame.

Just my two contra cents on the subject.
    Naduja and Twyla like this.
  8. Sturmlocke Linux enthusiast playing EQ2 via Proton.

Sehr gut, wie geht es Ihnen denn heute, Herr Ttobey? That was actually pretty good mate. Wanna come and visit us? ;D
    ttobey likes this.
  9. Sturmlocke Linux enthusiast playing EQ2 via Proton.

Hell: "they will join us or die, master!" :D
  10. Beee Well-Known Member

You know a lot more german words - like
    Panzerfaust
    Kindergarten
    Autobahn
    OK
    :)
    Twyla and Sturmlocke like this.
  11. ttobey Makes the Monsters Move

I took german in junior high and then in college and I think the only reason I finally passed it in college was I bought the professors a lot of rounds of beer that summer!
    Twyla, Breanna and Sturmlocke like this.
  12. Sturmlocke Linux enthusiast playing EQ2 via Proton.

Ooooh my dear friend, if you like beer, you'll love our country. We have some of the best beer in the entire world. Honestly, if you ever get to pay us a visit, lemme know and I'll bribe you with a beer and da pwetty german ladies (we also have sexy men for anyone who prefers that instead). Then you owe me one and I'll use that so that you can put in a good word with the powers that be, hopefully giving some of our ppl a chance to read the beautifully crafted lore that you guys have written for us after all of these years.

[IMG]

You know what, beer time. Prost!
  13. Hellfiren Well-Known Member

Sorry die Hälfte von deinem Post kann ich nicht nachvollziehn die ander Hälfte klingt wie Ausreden.
    Sprachgenie bin ich auch nicht aber in einer globalieseierten Welt herschen andere Regeln so love it or hate it ist die Devise und wenn du von Jungs redest geht ich mal vom alter 12-25 aus da sollten sie doch Englisch beherschen, da könnten die Franzosen die auch im EU server sind ja auch auf Französisch bestehn und bei denen kann auch nicht jeder Englisch von der älteren Generation.
    Und die Franzosen sind was Sprache angeht sehr eigen.

Du wirst im Realen wie Online wenn du dich dem Englischen verweigerst wenig Freude haben bis zu der Tatsache, das du nicht mehr klar kommst und egal ob und wo du arbeitest ebn so wenig.
  14. Miroh Well-Known Member

Google Translate for the win!!! :)
  15. Blitzfeuer New Member

Ich wäre auch erfreut, das ganze wieder in Deutsch zu spielen auch wenn ich englisch inzwischen mittelmäßig behersche und kenne eine Person, die damals wegen der Sprache aufgehört hat. Ich kann durchaus verstehen, das vor 10-20 Jahren übersetzen umständlich und teuer war und es deswegen rausgenommen wurde. Aber inzwischen sind die Übersetzungsprogramme (ja Google und co, selbst Internetseiten auf Koreanisch sind dadurch lesbar) so gut, das sie kaum noch korrigiert werden müssen. Statt also zeilenweise teuer zu bezahlen brauchts heute nur noch von jemand Korrektur gelesen zu werden der beide Sprachen kann. Somit ist der Kostenfaktor wesentlich niedriger.
    Sturmlocke likes this.
  16. CSP84 Well-Known Member

Die Entscheidung damals den Deutschen und andere (nicht englisch) Sprachige Server zu schliessen war rein Finanzieller Art. Valor war soweit ich mich erinnere der grösste europäische Server, bzw. zusammen mit Runnyeye.
    Die Entscheidung Valor zu schliessen kostete der Firma halt viele Accounts und Ende auch Geld.
    Sturmlocke likes this.
  17. Naramee Active Member

genau, exactly. And some, including Hellfiren was one of those to complain about that a lot of times. I still think they should translate it to the german language as it was. The translation was not that bad as some might like to put it. Viele, auch Hellfiren haben sich deswegen oft genug beschwert, auch wenn sie jetzt anders reden. Die Übersetzung der Quests und dergleichen war nicht die schlechteste. Und eben weil es so viele Verluste gab, bleibe ich dabei. Es sollte wieder übersetzt werden.
    Sturmlocke likes this.
  18. Tanto Done, finished, gone.

Because of my work (and being a parent) my first thoughts in a lot of situations always go to safety and injury... And I just can't help thinking these ladies must suffer long term wrist, back and elbow issues carrying all that beer in one go. I'm sure they develop a bone-crunching grip strength which is apparently a good health marker, but I do worry about their joints.

I hope one day to visit Germany to enjoy the festivals, food and beer. I narrowly missed out on a business trip to Stuttgart a few years back. I didn't like that job and 100% would have spent the entire time sampling the local culture or sleeping off said sampling, so probably a good decision by my then employers.
    Sturmlocke likes this.
  19. Hellfiren Well-Known Member

I never said anything agianst the merge of servers i am agianst changes which break the mechanics of gaming in any way thats correct and thier were some server merges before like Inovation to Valor or the tow English servers into one or the Change from the Jail server Drunda.

And if you are against things its fine to you and your personal opionon but your not able to set a wall against the spirit of time,thats what it is i would like to have many things in game an other way or the right way but i can only say whats not running propper and the devs can say ok or not same on the language we use.

And yes we lost some accounts by the changes but the major change we lost accounts with was the raise of PAY To Win especialy in BOL were every player who not bought the Premium or Collector Expa was quiet useless.

Thats the major point why people left game the wanted to play as a member and pay for the Expa and nothing more but without more your lost that the storry.

And dont get me wrong i am not fine with that way DB goes on but i need to deal with if want to play especialy if your a raider and the Raiders on server are those who spend the most money in game to be sate of the art.
  20. Ayodi Active Member

I suspect when our Germanic friends make up a sizable percentage of monetary income for DBG, suddenly there will be concessions :)

-the Ayodi