Coral Reef and more underwater wildlife?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Sturmlocke, Aug 16, 2022.

1. Sturmlocke Linux enthusiast playing EQ2 via Proton.

Any known coral reefs in any of the zones? Would be awesome to see something like that implemented in certain areas where the water is deeper and where you could put in some eels, starfish, dolphins, whales and more.

Cheers
    Jesaine and Twyla like this.
  2. Cusashorn Well-Known Member

The Plane of Water and Siren's Grotto are about as close as the game has. Go to the Oceansfull Trench of Terror zone and take the manta ray all the way across to the other side and take a look at the corral there.

You can find jellyfish floating around the waters of the Greater Faydark Nursery, but there really hasn't been any more effort to put in the time and resources for a deep zone in the game.
  3. FalconClash Well-Known Member

I wouldn't mind seeing more life and variety in the ocean/seas. In most places its a pretty barren landscape underwater.
    Sturmlocke and Aterskia like this.
  4. Aterskia Active Member

wats ifn the Community wer to participate?
    the below-pictured house gots water, fishies, sharkes, kelps, bubbles, etc.

an wif a Teleporter, easi nuf to get inna water area,...

mehbe Community wif der amazingly creative skills could MAKE a Coral Reef-like Decorated House that then the Community could vote on fur wich be "Most Realistic," "Best Use of Underwater Flora & Fauna," etc.
    (would need to add better unna-water sounds/music, but visuals culd be spot-on!)
    [IMG]
    Jesaine and Sturmlocke like this.
  5. MightyMeaghan Well-Known Member

In terms of highly detailed explorable water areas this game has always kinda sucked. I don't think underwater adventuring other than darting down to a shipwreck for a quick update has ever been a design priority.
    Jesaine likes this.
  6. Jesaine Well-Known Member

It would be awesome indeed. You KNOW the answer though, if you even get one. "It's too difficult and we don't have the manpower".
  7. Aterskia Active Member

fine.
    den we'es no gib ehnee PAY RAISES, an jus do it OURSELVES. [Norrath Homeshow ehnee wun?:D ]
    see how eeebee dat wuz?;)
    which uhv korse, dat EXACTLY wut dey wan,.. no do ehnee werks, yet gits paid,...
    fur keepin uh seat warm,.. me'es giss dat a job description?o_O
  8. ttobey Makes the Monsters Move

What are you roleplaying here? I honestly have no idea what your posts are supposed to be.
    Cyliena, Tohjam, Breanna and 6 others like this.
  9. Daelini Active Member

No one does. He even does this in the bug forums making it exceptionally difficult to figure out what the bug is.

Maybe put a "No Roleplaying" on some of the forums so that intelligible type can prevail and open a forum strictly for role-playing horribly troped characters?
    Cyliena, Dude, Twyla and 1 other person like this.
  10. Cusashorn Well-Known Member

I've asked him to at least politely translate out of character what he is saying, but he's 100% committed to being full Ratonga on a non-roleplaying server and the forums.
    Breanna, Dude and Twyla like this.
  11. ttobey Makes the Monsters Move

Why does my Ratonga sound like David Niven and his sounds like a broken dog squeaky toy?
    Breanna, Morukta, Dude and 1 other person like this.
  12. Arandar Well-Known Member

Far be it from me to get between someone and their furry fantasy, but it is definitely annoying (and sometimes virtually impossible) to read.
    Dude and Twyla like this.
  13. Zornar Member

There are some colorful coral housing items that drop when opening the Clams for the current Oceansfull event. They come in pink, green, purple and orange. The two coral pod ones remind me more of the egg sacs from the Alien movies. All we need is a face hugger to pop out of them.
    Breanna and Twyla like this.
  14. Sturmlocke Linux enthusiast playing EQ2 via Proton.

Lots of interesting ideas here, thanks @all! Creating something by ourselves does sound interesting to say the least, but I also don't have a single doubt in my mind that our dev team can do this easy peasy seeing how talented they are. Ppl thought underwater couldn't be done for the likes of DCUO - and then we got an entire Atlantis section similar to WoW's Vashjir (smaller ofc, but still the same vision).

Never ever underestimate the power that lies dormant within a creative artists mind and heart just itching for such a challenge. RELEASE THE KRAKEN.

Dungeons like Sirens Grotto and Awuidor are prime examples of how beautiful underwater can be done. In fact, while filming new locations for my relaxation YT series, I found an underwater temple that you had to dive into. I think it's called the sunken theatre or something like that, totally missed that one years ago. Awesome idea tbh.

[IMG]

Something like that would be nice tbh, but I would also appreciate having more sealife like coral reefs in regions like Cobalt Scar or even further out of Qeynos harbor. Or how about Timorous Deep? Imagine being able to dive down further outside of Qeynos harbor only to find a lot of living and breathing coral reef filled with sea life and a few interesting quests under water. Then you can copy and paste that effort for other regions where it makes sense.

Both EQN and EQ2 were and still are beautiful when it comes to water and I'd love to see old and new regions expand their underwater portion a bit more. That said, I am happy that we can dive and swim underwater at all. Virtual worlds like Swtor, Teso and New World don't do underwater or swimming at all. Even FF14 didn't do it at first and added it afterwards with a short loading animation for a specific region, lol. Crazy how we're developing backwards in a lot of ways nowadays. Some may say underwater or swimming isn't important, but to me, it's just as important as everything above the sea. Life under the sea is often better than anything they got up there...

New World:

Swtor:

In Swtor, you die when trying to swim or dive in anything deeper than a little puddle of water as well. A Jedi or Sith you might beeee, but all that universal, galactic and planetary crushing power will come to and end the moment you get thrown into water. Hmpf, these newgen theme parked mmos, immersion within a guided and linear path. And then you have the korean or asian games that are embracing virtual immersion and freedom like we used to in the old mmo days by doing stuff like this or this or even this (open world, no zoning or loading, sea life at its best + ship sailing like in Vanguard SOH).

[IMG]
    Breanna and Jesaine like this.
  15. Jinksie Well-Known Member

Doesn't one of the mushroom event zones have some nice underwater stuff? I think the Antonica one? Not 100% on that though.
  16. Cusashorn Well-Known Member

If not for the fact that a completely underwater zone would be an ABSOLUTE NIGHTMARE to code for enemies to path in and the ever-present risk of drowning, I would LOVE to see Kedge Keep return from EQ1.

It was a completely underwater zone located underneath Dagnor's Cauldron off of Butcherblock Mountains. It was an Ancient Atlantis-themed zone full of sharks, pirahna, mermaids, sirens, and then Phinigel Autropos, the last existing Kedge with a sad backstory about how he caused the extinction of his own species (or so everyone thought until a post-EQ2 expansion introduced an underwater Combine Empire city where the Kedge and the Shissar lived peacefully with the humans down there-- so far not canon to EQ2).

500 years later in EQ2's timeline, it's been implied that Kedge Keep didn't survive the cataclysms and that the Kedge have been extinct for more than 1000 years.

With EQ2's graphics, that would be the perfect chance to create a zone with a proper coral reefs and actual mermaids.
    Cyliena, Breanna, Sturmlocke and 2 others like this.
  17. Morukta The ORIGINAL Micro-Gnome

There is that one zone off of Mara that I can NOT remember the name of right now.
    With water breathing (Fishbone Earring!) and underwater walking (tinkered flotation), you may as well not be underwater.
    It would be super easy to just add an NPC or item requiring interaction that could simply put water-breathing on you when you go into the zone.
    Sturmlocke and Breanna like this.
  18. Aterskia Active Member

is be's Forsaken City, unna water in middle uhv Mystic Lake (off Isle of Mara)
    it do be'es unna water to gits in, but no water inside 'cept pool at bottom, an no gots ehnee Corals, me'es jus lookies,...
    dis be's wat yu's mention?
  19. MightyMeaghan Well-Known Member

My friend, I've known many ratonga over the years, with some pretty heavy accents. But you... Have you ever considered a speech therapist? Something isn't right.
    Breanna and Jesaine like this.
  20. Aterskia Active Member

whil deez no gots nuffin do wif Coral,
    Me's pwoud dat me'es be's waised fum pup by Roekilliks inna Sundered Funtier;
    deys taught me's ehbee ting me'es knoes!:p
    dis be'es me's Paw-Paw!
    [IMG]
    Torri and EmJay like this.