15" vs 17" monitor layouts?

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by Uwkete-of-Crushbone, Jul 15, 2022.

1. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Mainly just looking for advice, but also help...

I've got a 15" monitor for my desktop, which is old and creaky and Win7 with bare mins for the new 64-bit phoenix that is the game; it's almost a bad thing that the game can now suck up every single last bit of memory I have available. :-/

So, often, I play on my Win10 lappie, which has a 17" monitor (it's a beast, yeah, but it's about the only one left that has an optical drive. If I want to watch movies at 3 am without waking up everyone else in the apartment complex with the volume while I game, I gotta have my DVD bay ;->). The issue is, all the sub-windows and hotbars and other jazz it's taken me months->years to set up nicely on the 15"-er is now all over the damn place on the 17"-er. If all I'm doing is holiday stuff and/or decorating, that's one thing, but if I have to fight... :-/

My question is: if I were to set up all those display elements for the 17"-er, would that mess up my 15" arrangement? There are some things I still prefer, even on the old clunker (the keys on the keyboard; the mouse vs. the touchpad; being able to watch movies on the lappie while gaming [my old clunker doesn't do that very well any more, either :-/], etc.), and I'd like to be able to go back and forth without spending way too long re-fixing everything.

I'd asked on the Chat Channel, and someone said something about saving layouts -- not decorator layouts, so I wasn't sure what was meant, though I have heard something along those lines before. Sadly, something happened to my source of info before they could explain it in more detail; the group they were in got attacked, or they got booted, or got bored with me (though I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt on that one ;->), or something. So, I need info/help. :-/

Uwk
  2. Tkia Well-Known Member

Your UI files are saved locally on your machine so you can have completely different setups on every machine. If in doubt save your existing UI_settings files into a corner before you start so you can copy them back if you manage to end up worse off after fiddling.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Geroblue like this.
  3. Geroblue Well-Known Member

Sorry, I have a 40" monitor... but sometimes my desktop icons skitter around the desktop if I change the height of my taskbar.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Breanna like this.
  4. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

So, go into my game directory and Ctrl+C those elsewhere as a backup just in case? Okay, thanks! :)

Uwk
    Breanna likes this.
  5. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Brag, brag, brag! :D You game on your TV monitor? 'Cause we have a big flat-screen too (only option by then) that we had to get when our old CRT finally died. :-/

And I think one of my issues is that I probably have too much "widescreen" top and bottom areas on the lappie; I gotta remember how to adjust that... ;->

Think it's something in Alt+O->Advanced...

Uwk
    Breanna likes this.
  6. Geroblue Well-Known Member

I have a Highsense 40" tv I use both for tv watching and my computer monitor. One problem I've noticed with this Highsense is... when I turn it on it goes to one of the devices and asks is it on ? Only way I have of getting it to stop doing that is to unplug it from my uninterruptible power supply for 2 minutes then plug it back in. Didn't have to do it for the first 6 months I owned it. Now it looks like I"ll have to keep doing it.

Hopefully they will do an update that fixes my tv.
    Breanna and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  7. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Eep! :eek: Too many possible complications; it's one reason why we've never bundled anything together (still have all 3 separate; after the AT&T debacle back when we still had DSL, we decided against it). :-/

Uwk
    Breanna likes this.
  8. Geroblue Well-Known Member

Well, my tv has 3 dvd connectors. Hopefully this 'goes to one before I can select the one I want' goes away.
  9. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Amen! :)

Good luck! :D

Uwk
    who can't even re-set the video player clock without the techie hubby (though I can do more complicated things, as long as we still have the manual ;->)... X-P
    Breanna likes this.
  10. Geroblue Well-Known Member

Whoops. I mean HDMI connections... I think I need a nap.
  11. Edelphia Well-Known Member

there is a command to save the hotkey layout on your hotbars.
    /savehotkeys [name]

move or copy that file to the other computer and
    /loadhotkeys [name]

Those will get the hotbars set for you and all you will have to do it move them into the correct positions. I use this in Beta too. Saves a ton of time and effort.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  12. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Will that help with the Beastlord Bar? I made a new one on Public Test not too long ago, and I was used to the Bar filling automatically once I got to a certain point. It doesn't any more? :-/

At least, I did see the icons for things that are SUPPOSED to be there in my Knowledge Book... :-/

Uwk
    who had to guess where all of them went... "This ability can go to this [Advantage] bar, but not in this slot. You have to guess, you little fewmet, because you're not gonna get any more help from us on this any more. Ha. >:->"
    Geroblue likes this.
  13. Geroblue Well-Known Member

I have one Beastlord character, that bar I can't figure it out.
  14. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

I just usually took it for granted that it would auto-fill for me the minute my baby Beastlord/lady would get to the level of having shiny new abilities, so I never looked clearly at all of it. Apparently, there's like Advantages and Primals and I don't know what-all (with all descriptions and tags fairly buried in fine print, so you have to read all the fluff text), and only the Advantage icon abilities can go in the Advantage bar, and only the ones you have the right Stance or whatever up for, and only in the right space in the Advantage bar or else, and Primals don't go in there, "So stop trying, idiot! [--Expert Professional Player or Dev who came up with it in the first place; if he knew how it works, YOU should, too]" but you'd better put them in a Hotbar fairly close, or you'll never see when you might be able to use them (that bit, I still haven't figured out yet), etc., etc., etc. X-P

Uwk
    Geroblue likes this.
  15. Geroblue Well-Known Member

Yeah, just a wee bit aggrivating. I rarely play the character.
  16. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Since this was an October thread, I see no problem in beating a zombie horse (or reviving it ["Give my creation -- LIFE! :eek:"]), to wit: I've been saving my UI settings files as /save_uisettings [name].xml for both my Win10 laptop and my Win7 desktop, but I noticed after saving them all to the laptop that they were wonky as hell back on the desktop afterwards. This is on Public Test, and I know for a fact that my hotbars, arrangement of other in-game windows, etc. was just the way I'd had it for years and years and years prior to all the saving, to the point where this is sudden and annoying (and yeah, saving the hotbars might work, but my other in-game windows arrangements on the screen might still be wonky). X-P

One of the things I've been doing on the desktop in "retaliation" is saving the files as something cute like /save_uisettings [nameDT].xml, with the DT standing for Desktop, and am intending to do so for the laptop as /blah_blah [blah]LT.xml; you get the idea. Yet, when I went into the EQ2 directory under the separate, deeply buried Test directory, I could see things like:

Test_[name]_eq2_uisettings.xml

which looks terribly, terribly official, and likely functional, vs.

[name]DT.xml

which does not. I haven't tried loading it yet, but would the unofficial version even work? :-/

It was suggested on Wiki under the Slash Commands entry, where you could theoretically give the .xml a filename like [charactername_date_time].xml, apparently to keep track of all the numerous versions you'll be needing? :-/

Uwk
    Breanna and Geroblue like this.
  17. Tkia Well-Known Member

Test_[name]_eq2_uisettings.xml is your characters normal settings file. It gets loaded when you login and is saved when you log out to record any changes you made while you were playing.
    [name]DT.xml is your personal settings file copy and is purely your backup. The game will not pay any attention to it at all unless you use it with a /load_uisettings command to instruct the game to load it, so you can call it whatever you like. I tend to like Fred ... :p .
  18. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Ahh, makes sense. :)

Uwk
    Breanna and Geroblue like this.
  19. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Back again, jiggity-jig...

Was looking in the Wiki yet again at the Slash Commands article, and how it goes on about /save_uisettings using an .xml extension, or /load_uisettings [name].dat if you save it under the .dat extension (which it didn't mention under the /save bit), and nowhere does it go into how to convince the computer to look at the .xml file, which I've tried to do with no success. The only files it looks at with the drop-down list under just plain white bread /load_uisettings [name {or not; just plain}] are the official ones.

Haven't /saved anything with .dat yet, since I've only seen one entry relate to that and it was dubious. :-/

Uwk
    Geroblue likes this.