Do you mention if a DPS in your group isn't putting out much damage?

Discussion in 'General TLE Discussion' started by Xeshaka, Jul 2, 2022.

1. Xeshaka Member

So I've been running ACT since launch mainly because I'm competitive and when I play DPS I want to compare how I'm doing to other classes/group members.

In almost every group I run there is at least 1 DPS class that is just abysmal at doing damage.

I'm talking, getting out parsed by main healers bad.

Sometimes I feel the urge to say something, but I also don't want to make it an awkward atmosphere. But if someone is bad at doing damage, and no one ever mentions it to them, will they ever improve?

What's your take?

Also, if you're playing a DPS class and you get out parsed by a main healer...sigh...
    Sunlei likes this.
  2. Sehenry1010 Member

I mean, there are new players that are playing that could easily get out parsed by a Fury. I don't think it's really cool to call them out considering most people including you and I were probably in the same boat at one time also...

HOWEVER...then there is just the lazy DPS player who doesn't want to even try and you see them standing around for half a fight, and those should be booted.

Gotta figure out which one it is though
    Genram likes this.
  3. Zenji Well-Known Member

Nothing about doing damage in vanilla EQ2 is complicated. If a new player is at max level and doing less damage than a healer, it's because they haven't taken the time to read the tooltips of their spells and stats. All the information you need to not be completely terrible can be found in your character window and in your spell book.
  4. Greene Active Member

I remember my first TLE, I didn't know about weird things like using a wand and enabling ranged/spell autoattacks. That's a big chunk of damage. Someone showed me though.

If it looks like they're trying, quick on assist, engaging and not half afk, try to help them out. If not, warn then boot :p
  5. MightyMeaghan Well-Known Member

Are they in your raid? If so, yell at them.
    Is it a PUG dungeon group? If so, are the monsters dying anyway? If the monsters aren't dying, say something, otherwise who cares.
    Bekkr and Genram like this.
  6. Perrigrin Well-Known Member

I don't even have ACT installed any longer, but, I don't raid. If it's just a PUG group and you notice this, I wouldn't just call them out, because I don't want to be "that person". Too many people IMO are "that person" and it's not helpful. If it's a class I know something about I would send them some tells and offer to help them with their dps if they want it. It could be they're just new at the class. It could be they rushed to 50 like half the server did because that's what other people were doing and they haven't really learned how to play yet. Maybe they can't afford better gear with the broker prices being what they are.
  7. Tkia Well-Known Member

If you're not raiding do yoursellf a favour and turn off ACT. This is supposed to be a co-operative teamwork game, not a competition. And whatever else you do, DO NOT spam your entire group with your stupid parses. That's about the most obnoxious behaviour I've ever encountered in an MMO.
    Siren, adaria, Genram and 1 other person like this.
  8. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

There's no need to yell at anyone. Inspect their gear. Look at them on EQ2U and see what their AA looks like. Offer polite suggestions on how they can improve.

If they're ninja AFK half the time, or your group just doesn't have enough DPS with them in the group, then boot them. The ninja you can boot without explanation. The "just not enough DPS" person tell kindly that they're just not doing quite enough yet, and to talk to you again when they've beefed up some.
  9. Borbolin New Member

In FFXIV they will ban you for toxic behavior if you're using parses to exclude others. My feeling on the matter is that if you're the kind of person who cares about parses, you should build your group around that fact so that you're not shanghaiing others who don't care about that. As 1/6th of the group, you've got just as much right to decide how the group will function as the low parser. If you're PUGing it, you get what you get so don't throw a fit. If you're building your group, then you should be a little more picky. And eventually, if you're likeable enough, you may form a group of friends with whom you know will always be "on."

Otherwise, you're at the mercy of the world.
    Genram likes this.
  10. Rolien Active Member

How do you turn on the auto attack timer I know the game just kills an auto if you're casting when it should go off.
  11. Pharliquin Member

There is currently no AA to look over and adjust. Many raced to 50 and now need to catch up spells and gear.
    Being overly concerned with other people parses outside of a raid is a bit OCD. Most groups are steam rolling thru dungeons and such.

Some folks DO join groups just to follow and get xp with little output and should probably politely asked "To rejoin later when you have more time?" Totally agree with those that say- If it is a class you know pretty well- offer some tips or advice in tells later or maybe an in-game mail. A lot of people do not know nearly as much as the min-maxxers, just be respectful in communicating.
    I was once rudely and personally attacked in voice channel by someone once- I was a healer did best I could to heal and cure- didnt really focus on damage that much- I figured that was damage doers' job-mine was to heal and cure. Also had an older computer and limited connection so slight delays to events. They did not offer constructive advice or casting order or anything positive. I was not terri-bad just not min-max good. Anyhow they called me all sorts of names and like did not even know me as a person. The whole event was quite shocking- I dont raid or group much anymore even though that was 16yrs ago. I have good computer and good connection today and know a lot more about the game, but that event ruined my confidence to play with others much.
    This is a 20 plus year old game and many folks playing are older or thank goodness have not ever played. Be glad it still here, help where you can or stick with guild groups if super competition is your thing- There are plenty of those too.

Can change auto spell/ranged or not at all under C-character and options- towards bottom.
    Moonpanther and Siren like this.
  12. Venser Active Member

I tell them they suck and I leave. Enjoy your hour long zone that should be 15 min.
    Zenji likes this.
  13. Borbolin New Member

What's interesting is that until you "told them they suck" they probably were enjoying their hour-long 15 minute zone.
    Karioki, Bekkr, Genram and 3 others like this.
  14. Tkia Well-Known Member

People like you are the reason people like me never pug anymore and significantly contributes to the game's grouping problems. No amount of server merges will fix it.
    Karioki, Fuzion, Bekkr and 2 others like this.
  15. Xeshaka Member

this is just how people act online
  16. Tkia Well-Known Member

It never used to be. I can remember a time when you could join a pug, have fun, do some chatting, read the quest text, admire the scenery etc., not this current fixation with getting round the zone in minimal time without even stopping long enough to blink. :(
    Karioki, Fuzion and Moonpanther like this.
  17. Xeshaka Member

idk, I had groups like that when I played back in 2006-8. I honestly have had better overall experiences with PUGs in TLE than I remember back in the day. I'm on my 6th alt and have done tons of PUG grinding already on Varsoon and have only had a few negative experiences. Most groups have been great.
  18. Flightrisk Well-Known Member

before I offer my character to any type of PuG or even a group of friends, I make sure I have something (the best I can get in the currant and operating circumstances) in every item slot, I have food and drink of a (if I can do it) higher level than I am quality.
    Once in a group I do my level best to be what the group 'hired ' me to be, if heals, I heal first all else second, if damage then I do all the damage I can, while furthering the groups goals.
    I do not run ACT in this game, so I don't judge based on a parse ... but I do see mana usage ... and a healer or dpser who's mana pool never diminishes or is used, I'm not a fan of I won't nag them or drag it up but I Do Notice and to me it's a sign they are sandbagging and not even trying to help the group.
  19. Jalathan Active Member

No, because I do not know their circumstances. If stuff is dying, then who cares. but sometimes the DPS is in the wrong situtation too... I was running with my brig last night, sometimes I was the top of the parse, sometimes I was at the bottom as I have 1 aoe (at 40 anyways) and when you are pulling huge groups, I just don't do as much as AoE dps classes can. But I'm also trying to throw in debuffs, stun and grab things when they go after the squishies too, so I do more than just dps in a group like that.
  20. Tarnorili Member

I don't think it's ever okay to tell a stranger/random-group-member they're not playing as well as one thinks they should. The game is about fun, and saying such things will invariably have the exact opposite effect on the recipient.

I think if one does not have fun when in PuGs etc. with seemingly underperforming players, the onus is on them not to join those groups in the first place, not others to improve up to their standards.