NEW INTERACTIVE EMOTES!!! YES OR NO

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by EPICNYGHT, Jun 21, 2022.

1. EPICNYGHT Goldmember "I got the Midas Touch"

I was playing in a group the other day and got to thinking about how cool it would be to have new updated emotes come to the game. For instance- using a high five emote next to another targeted character would raise your characters hand and give the other person a prompt to high five back. And actually see the characters High Five! Or even being able to do the same but instead with a "Hug" or "Rock Paper Scissors" emote. And wouldn't it be awesome if you started a dancing emote and your friends could join in on the party + maybe a little background music jingle to go with it.....Thoughts?
    Sturmlocke and Twyla like this.
  2. Celestia Well-Known Member

Yes, I would soooo go around trying to high five other people. :D

Great idea!

(Personally, I would also not mind some updated hairstyles too!)
  3. MightyMeaghan Well-Known Member

I'm just here to watch Ttobey's head explode.
    Dude, Breanna, EPICNYGHT and 3 others like this.
  4. Sturmlocke Linux enthusiast playing EQ2 via Proton.

+1 for this idea. It really makes interactions with other players a lot of fun and adds to the overall immersion of our world. Before returning to EQ2, I was playing Destiny 1 and 2 for the longest time, many years actually, and enjoyed stuff like this:

[IMG]

[IMG]

Is it a must-have feature? No, by all means, it's just pure "fluff", but I think everyone knows how far small details like these can add up to the bigger picture. You have my vote. In fact, I had a similar idea a while ago, see here. Animations go a long way and should not be underestimated when it comes to social games like EQ2 and Destiny. These are MMO social games after all. You could also do what Destiny 2 and Swtor have been doing for some time now and sell that type of "fluff" separately, increasing your return on investment.

[IMG]

Oh, interesting to see so many ppl speaking about new hairstyles and overall upgrades to our chars, it seems our devs are thinking about it too :D This also has my +1 vote, feel free to join the discussion: New Character Models

The vampire that David created is just stunning in so many ways. Just look at all the small and bigger details on that vamps face and body... even the nipples look great! I love the fact that David is talking about all of that stuff and is seemingly rising up to the challenge. A good artist will always seek more knowledge and a good challenge - and that's exactly the type of vibe I'm getting here. Don't care what the naysayers say, something tells me that we got the stone rolling now. And now imagine what the powers that be could do with our old player models if given the chance. Better looking hair would only be one of the many things that could get a facelift. Adding more facial and body details, texture, animations, emotions or even allowing for better age altering features would go a long way imo.

You think this sounds crazy? Well, we've had more interesting and challenging experiments in the past:

Tbf, I was completely surprised by the fact that the EQ2 engine was actually capable of something like that. While I didn't use it all that much myself, I do feel that it was perfect for ppl roleplaying. I was happy that some folks out there were having fun using it. Back in the old days (90s to early 2000s), we used to roleplay like that all the time, bc it added to our imagination of beeing in an entirely different world. Sadly, I feel like like Soemote wasn't all too popular with most players, but it was an interesting and innovative idea nonetheless. Personally I don't know of a single mmo that has tried something of this magnitude before, not any mainstream games anyway.
    Twyla and tasnee like this.
  5. Cusashorn Well-Known Member

I can see it now. A female Sarnak and a Fae give a high five, and there's 8 feet of air between them.
  6. Sturmlocke Linux enthusiast playing EQ2 via Proton.

Bc of size or something else? If it's bc the Fae is so small: The Fae has wings, does it not? It can just fly up a bit and high five the Sarnak very easily ;D My wife always keeps telling me that size doesn't matter. Not sure what she is implying by saying that, but I agree somewhat. Edit: Hm, now that I think of it... gonna give her the "what gives" later...
    Breanna, Twyla and KauaiJim like this.
  7. Sturmlocke Linux enthusiast playing EQ2 via Proton.

Ah yes, the memories and all the funny moments good and extra animations can give us players:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  8. Cusashorn Well-Known Member

It wouldn't be practical for certain sized characters to have even more animation detail being put into them to make the effort to connect to someone of a significantly different height. Given all the rest of the animations in this game, it would probably just be universally applied to everyone. Certain characters within specific height ranges would be fine, but major height discrepancies like gnomes and ogres would probably just have air between them. Or-- let me put it another way, the effort to make it work would probably take far more time than Ttobey would like to dedicate towards fine-tuning.
    Twyla likes this.
  9. ttobey Makes the Monsters Move

It exploded.
    Breanna, Siren, Twyla and 3 others like this.
  10. ttobey Makes the Monsters Move

The problem with EQ2 emotes is the number of different player skeletons it has to work on. A single emote probably takes me 3 weeks to get working on all the different races/skeletons and interacting so that they look like they are contacting each other would be very problematic. I have done tests with characters waltzing together, so one player would /waltz1 and the other /waltz2. It's impossible for the player to time right and really only came close to working if both players had the same skels.
    The biggest way to see what a pain emotes are is to look at /guitar /drums /flute that I just added and you will see half of the characters play the flute in their noses. This is due to most races having different length forearms. Why? I have no idea what they were thinking, but to get that stupid flute even sort of correct on everyone I had to tweak the animation nearly 15 times and it's still not the greatest. Anyway to summarize, I love emotes, they are a pain in the *** to get right and I rarely have time to fight with them.
    Breanna, Siren, Sturmlocke and 6 others like this.
  11. ttobey Makes the Monsters Move

12. ttobey Makes the Monsters Move

Why is butt ok but *** not? Where is Accendo?!
    AOE1, Breanna, Siren and 5 others like this.
  13. Momo Well-Known Member

Looool ttobey... :D
    and +1 to your head exploding animation. Cool!
    Twyla likes this.
  14. KauaiJim Active Member

I don't see this as a problem - have you ever watched a high school band? Nose flutes everywhere! lol
    Twyla likes this.
  15. MightyMeaghan Well-Known Member

This one time, at band camp...
    Momo and KauaiJim like this.
  16. Aabari Active Member

If you arent able to add new emotes how about adding ones we already have to our house actors there are still a bunch that players have currently that house actors dont.
    Cusashorn likes this.
  17. ttobey Makes the Monsters Move

That's probably something a coder would have to do.
  18. Dude Well-Known Member

Breanna and Sturmlocke like this.
  19. MightyMeaghan Well-Known Member

Dude likes this.
  20. Celestia Well-Known Member

LOL!!!

Alright, alright. I'm okay with no new stuff. The picture of a fay high fiving other races in my head was pretty cute though.
    Twyla likes this.