EQ2 on Linux and Mac guide

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Sturmlocke, Mar 28, 2022.

1. Sturmlocke Linux enthusiast playing EQ2 via Proton.

[IMG]
    Hail to all Norrathians!

Before we get started, make sure that your GPU is compatible with Vulkan:
    • AMD
    • Nvidia: 1 and 2
    • Intel (tbc, wip)
    What is this all about?

Some of you might have already been following the topic here, here and here, so I thought it might be a good idea to create a dedicated thread in order to help keep things organized. As time goes by, I am going to slowly but steadily update this thread with more information, but only if I can find the time as a young father. Feel free to help out, if you know your way around Linux. The goal here is to keep things simple for newcomers. I play EQ2 on Linux via DXVK / Vulkan and performance / fps, loading times, stability and more are superior to the vanilla Windows client running on the now obsolete DirectX9 API. With this thread, I am going to post a little bit of info for ppl interested in making the jump from Windows to Linux or Mac. Valve just released the Steam Deck a couple of weeks ago, yet another beautiful device natively powered by Linux, which is going to change the landscape of gaming on Linux forever. Linux on PC is going to be getting more and more popular from now on, so it might be a good idea to take a look at it now as it offers a bunch of advantages over the dominant proprietary mainstream Desktop-OS called Windows. And to make things better, the Linux distributions mentioned in this post are free, as in free beer, and free in the nature of Open Source Software. Linux is not only the dominant force on servers, but also on many business and mainstream devices, such as your Android smartphone, which is ultimately powered by the Linux kernel (Android: 70.97% versus iOS: 28.27% versus Windows: ? market share). In addition, you also have Google Stadia and ChromeOS / Chromebooks, which are powered by the Linux kernel and Vulkan. Do you have a FireTV stick or Amazon tablet running on FireOS? Well, those devices are based on Android too, thus also using the Linux kernel in the end. Numbers are starting to add up, looking good. Time to break free - here it goes!

Helpful links going into detail about Open Source, GNU, Linux, Android:
    While it is true that there is still a lot of work to be done, when it comes to further optimising EQ2, I am also happy that Darkpaw more or less confirmed that 64-bit is just the start of something great, and that we can look forward to more development in this regard, but I also feel that there are things that we, as users, can do in order to enhance our EQ2 experience right here and right now. As many of you already know, EQ2 is powered by an old DirectX9 API, which has been replaced by superior versions in recent years, such as DirectX 10, 11 and even 12. Since we can't have DirectX 11 or 12 in EQ2 right now, why not go for an alternative, an alternative that is just as good or even better - VULKAN / DXVK. Keep in mind though, depending on your hardware, your mileage may vary. Try at your own risk.

[IMG]
    Everquest 2 running on openSUSE Tumbleweed, Gnome 42 Desktop Environment, Steamplay alias Proton

The hard- and software that my wife and I use for EQ2:

Optiplex 3040 SFF:
    • Core i5 6500 65W
    • 16GB DDR3 RAM
    • Nvidia T600 4GB GDDR6 GPU + Nvidia drivers 510
    • 2 x 512GB Samsung SSD
    • Original Dell PSU 180W
    • openSUSE Tumbleweed, newest version, Gnome 42.0
    Optiplex 7050 MT (main):
    • Core i7 7700 95W
    • 16GB DDR4 RAM
    • AMD Sapphire Radeon RX570 4GB GDDR5 GPU
    • 256GB M2 NVME + 3TB SSHD + 256GB SSD
    • Upgraded Dell PSU to 380 Watts
    • Ubuntu 20.04.4 LTS, Gnome 3.36
    Dell Optiplex 7050 MT (wife):
    • Core i5 6500 95W
    • 16GB DDR4 RAM
    • AMD Sapphire Radeon RX560 4GB GDDR5 GPU
    • 512GB SSD
    • Original Dell PSU 240W
    • openSUSE Tumbleweed, newest version, Gnome 42.0
    With my main gaming rig, the highly upgraded secondhand Dell 7050, which I bought and fully upgraded myself for a total amount of about 400 Euros (439,03 USD), I am able to play EQ2 at extreme settings, 1080p, 8xAA and a locked / vsynced 60 fps most of the time. It rarely dips from 60 fps.

Helpful links in regards to DirectX9, 10, 11, 12, DXVK / Vulkan and Proton:
    DirectX9 versus DXVK / Vulkan

Don't understand the info written above? No problemo. In short, this is what I'm talking about esentially. DirectX9 to Vulkan = improved stability, performance / fps, loading times, less stutter and more, if done right. In this case, you'll be seeing an old game (GTA IV) being translated from the older DirectX9 API, which is the same DirectX version used in Everquest 2, to the much more modern and much more powerful Vulkan API. Check out the comments below this video for user feedback. Depending on what game we're talking about here, you might see a small, medium or huge increase in overall performance.

Additional links, comments and performance showcases - DirectX9 versus DXVK / Vulkan:
    EQ2 on Mac

[IMG]
    Crossover Mac user feedback for EQ2

EQ2 on Mac: The information seen here was written April 2022 and will be updated accordingly once the 64-bit EQ2 client goes live later this year.

EQ2 on Mac - short and simple:
    • Head over to and check the system requirements here ot here
    • Download and install Crossover for Mac
    • Launch Crossover and search for Everquest 2
    • Install EQ2, follow the guided installation steps in Crossover
    • Setup EQ2 either via the original .exe from Everquest2.com or via Steam (both supported in Crossover)
    • Enable DXVK for EQ2 on Mac, see here
    • Patch and launch
    • Done
    EQ2 on Mac - recommended if you're experiencing performance issues in EQ2 after Apple removed 32-bit support from macOS:
    • Parallels
    • placeholder
    • placeholder
    • Crossover, see further above
    Additional information:

According to the Crossover user reviews seen in the image further above, EQ2 should work great on M1 Mac. However, I have been made aware of potential performance issues by a user here on the forum, which is why I am posting this information. In addition, I read a few interesting articles and went on Youtube and watched a few comparison videos of ppl comparing 32b vs. 64b on Parallels and Crossover exclusively on the M1, and there really is a night and day difference in some 32b games. Seems it's because, starting with macOS Catalina, 32-bit apps are no longer compatible with macOS. Apple removed support for 32-bit programs in macOS. As of this writing, EQ2 is still a 32-bit app, with 64-bit right around the corner and scheduled to be released later this year. The new EQ2 64-bit client should address the potential performance issues seen in Crossover. If you are currently experiencing any form of slowdown, hiccups, stutter, lag when using Crossover + EQ2 + M1 hardware = get in touch with Codeweavers customer support or try the alternatives seen above. That being said, using 64-bit games as a bar for a direct comparison between the two, Crossover completely demolishes Parallels in terms of overall performance: 30 fps + stuttering / lag on Parallels versus 90-100 fps on Crossover in GTA V and other games. More here.

Additional links EQ2 on Mac:
    EQ2 on Linux - an introduction to some of the most popular Linux distributions and Desktop Environments

What is a Linux distribution?
    What is a Desktop Environment?
    Whatever you do, I highly recommend starting with either Ubuntu, Fedora, PopOS or openSUSE Tumbleweed as a Linux beginner or gamer.

[IMG]
    Click the picture above for an introduction of the newest Ubuntu release -> "Humanity to others" -> Nelson Mandela

If you live in the US, and if you don't mind using and trusting a distro coming from a place far, far away, I'd say go for Ubuntu first, which is a british / south african distro and the de facto standard for normal human beings trying out Linux (it makes a bunch of stuff extremly easy for newcomers). As of this writing, Ubuntu is the most popular Linux distro for gaming and more. Ubuntu is also the fundamental base for a lot of other highly popular Linux distributions, such as ElementaryOS, Linux Mint and even PopOS. Both the LTS (20.04.4) and newer release (21.10) should work great with your hardware, but be sure to install the proprietary Nvidia graphic drivers once the system has been fully installed. If you tick the box for proprietary software and updates during the installation, Ubuntu should - in theory - install the newest Nvidia drivers during the installation for you and also download all available updates in a single blow (at least in 21.10 it does that on my laptop). AMD and Intel GPU drivers are included out-of-the-box. LTS or interim release? See here for more info, both have their pro's and con's.

[IMG]
    Click the picture above for an introduction of the newest Fedora release

If you want a distro that is based in the US, that is subject to US privacy / state laws and more, then go for Fedora, which is powered by Red Hat (North Carolina). If the giant IBM means or says anything to you, this distro might be your cup of tea. Fedora and PopOS are more and more becoming the US version of Ubuntu, and that is great. A little bit of competetion is good for all of us in the end as it makes ppl go the extra mile for our vote. AMD and Intel GPU drivers included out-of-the-box, Nvidia drivers have to be enabled manually after installation. Go for the newest iteration of Fedora, which is Fedora 35 as of this writing.

[IMG]
    Click the picture above for an introduction of the newest PopOS release

PopOS is also great and actually based on Ubuntu, but is maintained primarily by System76, which in turn is a US company. PopOS has an ISO specifically targeted at both Nvidia or AMD / Intel users, so make sure to select the right ISO when downloading from their website. That way you are more or less guaranteed to have the newest and most compatible drivers for your system, making the entire process much easier for newcomers to begin with. System76 also makes their own Linux pre-configured, optimised and tested hardware powered by PopOS, that users can purchase directly from their official website. If you're in the market looking for a pre-built Linux system, be sure to check out their hard- and software offerings. They're trying to make "made in USA" mean something again - and they're doing a great job so far. It's your choice, LTS or the newest release. Just like on Ubuntu, both have their advantages and disadvantages. Check out their Youtube channel for installation videos and more.

[IMG]
    Click the picture above for an introduction / a parody of the newest Suse release
    Another Novell Suse parody commercial

If you want to see what made in Germany means and if you'd rather have a stable rolling release system, that is always on the bleeding edge of technology and thus offering the newest software coming directly off the hot frying pan, go for the distro initially from Nuremberg - openSUSE. I recommend Tumbleweed. Tumbleweed will always be up to date in terms of software, desktop environments, drivers and more, unlike some other stable interim distros that update their entire OS every six to twelve months. Thus, it's a great distro for gamers too. Keep in mind though, Tumbleweed is more of a poweruser distro. It's in the nature of rolling release software to act up every now and then (regressions) and you should know your way around, or at the very least know where to get help from, if something breaks or if major changes (upgrades) are introduced over night. That being said, I have been using Tumbleweed for many years now and it has yet to cause any major issue or problem. Also unlike many other rolling release distros, Tumbleweed's automated and superior Open Build technology highly reduces the chance of introducing system breaking bugs and regressions with new snapshots. AMD and Intel GPU drivers are included out-of-the-box and Nvidia drivers are provided via a seperate community repository, accessible directly within openSUSE's software manager "YAST". If you prefer a more traditional, slower and more stable release cycle, feel free to check out openSUSE Leap (LTS) instead.

In all cases, do not try to download and install the Nvidia drivers from Nvidia.com by yourself as a newbie, just stick to whatever automated or prepackaged options your chosen distro gives you. All of the distros mentioned in this post provide either an automated or alternatively easy way of installing the newest proprietary Nvidia drivers. Once installed, the Nvidia drivers usually get updated automatically on a regular basis. As a gamer, if you're on Intel or AMD, do - not - install the proprietary drivers from either Intel or AMD. The Linux distros seen above already ship with a highly advanced, gaming optimised and up to date version of open source drivers for both Intel and AMD users. Intel and AMD users also get automatic updates out-of-the-box, no need to manually update your graphic drivers here.

These are just some of my favorite Linux distributions, but there are many, many more from all around the globe.

What Desktop Environment do you prefer?

In all cases, minus PopOS, you should have the option to select your favorite Desktop Environment. The two most popular Desktop Environments that I can recommend are:

If you love the way Windows looks, go for the KDE desktop environment. It looks Window-ish, but it's far more powerful above and under the hood as it gives you an endless amount of options to tweak as a power or Windows user. With KDE, you can make the desktop yours - literally.

If you want software thinking outside of the box, something that is breaking free from the traditional desktop workflow of the past, a workflow that we have been using since the 80s and 90s, if you're looking for a modern desktop with less configuration options by default, but instead focusing on ease of use for newcomers and powerusers alike, enter Gnome.

Additional links, many more Desktop Environments:
    Don't let the huge amount of choices and alternatives frighten you: Some ppl consider it to be a weakness due to fragmentation, whearas I see it as a sign of strength, freedom of choice, speech and liberty. A lot of us like to have multiple choices in life, right? This is no different. Going the Linux route requires some trial and error, but feels great once you have settled down for something. Whichever distro or Desktop Environment you decide on, keep in mind that everything mentioned above is an open and global / international collaboration / effort between devs and users, no matter which company is powering your favorite Linux distro. Nearly all of the distros and Desktop Environments above have a proven and long-term trackrecord of success and all of them have a vast amount of freely accessible documentation online. You can purchase hardware pre-installed and optimised with any of the distros above from various sources online, no matter if it's directly from System76, Dell, Lenovo, Tuxedo any many more. The new kid on the block is PopOS, but don't let that discourage you from trying it, because it's a great distro.

Last but not least, use Proton 7 and higher for EQ2, but be sure to see my ProtonDB feedback further below in order to fix a launcher issue with the newest iteration of Proton on Linux.

Interesting links for your preferred distro of choice:
    Stoneburch, Texan, Krednok and 2 others like this.
  2. Sturmlocke Linux enthusiast playing EQ2 via Proton.

[IMG]
    Image found via Google on linuxadictos.com - CLICK the image above to see a full installation video of Ubuntu 22.04 LTS

Installation and setup guide for EQ2 on (K)Ubuntu (recommended):

Please note: The installation routine is different for each distro even though some are very similar to each other. The guide below is specifically for (K)Ubuntu. More guides work in progress. Guide updated on June 11th of 2022.
    • In order to reap the benefits of DXVK / Vulkan on Linux, make sure that your graphic card actually supports Vulkan, see my introduction post further above
    • See here for a nice and sharp installation video of Ubuntu 22.04 LTS (15 minutes)
    • Backup your data from your Windows installation
    • Head over to https://ubuntu.com/download/desktop and download Ubuntu 22.04 LTS
    • Head over to https://kubuntu.org/getkubuntu/ and download Kubuntu 22.04 LTS
    • Long Term Support = officially supported for up to then years = more stable and less new features than the interim releases. Example: Ubuntu 20.04 LTS features Gnome 3.36, Ubuntu 21.10 features Gnome 40 and Ubuntu 22.04 features Gnome 42. Newer = better when it comes to the Gnome desktop environment. Periodic LTS point releases backport and implement new kernels, drivers and more from the interim releases, so you're always up to date on LTS in this regard
    • Take a fast USB stick with at least 4 GB of free space and delete / format it to FAT32 via Windows
    • You can also use a DVD alternatively, see here (tbc, wip)
    • Follow the guide here in order to write the (K)Ubuntu ISO that you downloaded earlier to USB
    • Follow the guide here in order to write the (K)Ubuntu ISO that you downloaded earlier to DVD (tbc, wip)
    • Connect your PC to the internet preferably via LAN cable, but you can also use Wifi during the (K)Ubuntu installation instead
    • When ready, reboot your PC and boot from the USB stick (usually by using one of the many F-, Esc-, Del-keys on your keyboard)
    • Install or try (K)Ubuntu
    • If you have doubts anywhere in your mind, no problemo, you can take (K)Ubuntu for a test drive directly from the USB stick you just created
    • Want to install? Good, just follow the automated installation steps
    • (K)Ubuntu should detect the preinstalled operating system (Windows) and offer you some popular options: install alongside Windows or complete wipe and fresh install with (K)Ubuntu
    • Not a fan of dual booting, so I recommend wiping everything and installing (K)Ubuntu solo, but it's your choice ofc
    • Make sure to activate all checkboxes during the (K)Ubuntu installation related to proprietary software, codecs and updates as this will ensure smooth sailing by installing the relevant GPU drivers, Wifi drivers and multimedia codecs (MP3, HD video playback in Firefox etc.) and it will also download all available updates for you in a single blow - among many other things
    • When the (K)Ubuntu installation is done, boot into (K)Ubuntu and take a look at your new system
    • Just to be sure, perform a system update on both Ubuntu and Kubuntu via their respective Software Centers
    • Ubuntu: Open the preinstalled app called "Ubuntu Software", search and download "Steam installer" (do not install the Early Access version of Steam on a production system)
    • Kubuntu: Open the preinstalled Software Center called "Discover", search and download "Steam installer" (do not install the Early Access version of Steam on a production system)
    • Only on Kubuntu: Install Gamemode by opening up a preinstalled app named "Konsole", which is a CLI / Terminal. Type in the following command and confirm your choices via your system password: sudo apt install gamemode
    • Only on Kubuntu: Reboot your computer after installing Gamemode
    • Launch and login into Steam on (K)Ubuntu
    • Follow the guide here in order to setup Steam Play alias Proton, which is basically two or three clicks of effort
    • Don't forget to additionally check the Steam settings for "shader pre-caching" and enable both checkboxes: "enabled shader pre-caching" and "allow background processing of Vulkan shaders"
    • Make sure to select Proton 7 as the default
    • Download and install Everquest 2 from Steam
    • When finished, right click on the Everquest 2 entry in Steam and select properties, which will open the "general" tab for Everquest 2. Copy and paste the following code into the EQ2 "launch options": gamemoderun %command% --disable-gpu
    • The code above will fix a small EQ2 Launchpad issue and assure that your system is running at maximum power by enabling (K)Ubuntu's Gamemode - a feature that Ubuntu ships preloaded by default, but that has to be manually installed on Kubuntu (more info about Gamemode further below this post)
    • While still in the "general" tab, disable / deactivate the use of "Steam Overlay" and "SteamVR" as both can cause serious performance issues in EQ2, often cutting your framerate in half
    • Click on "compatability" next and force the use of Proton 7
    • Please note: If you are using older drivers for your Amd or Nvidia gpu, you might have issues running Proton 7 and higher (experimental). See here for more info. If this is actually the case on your system, feel free to try Proton 6 instead
    • Launch EQ2 and patch
    • Done: Proton will now automatically translate DirectX9 to Vulkan in EQ2, resulting in higher performance, better loading times, more stability.
    That's pretty much it, if you're running on Intel or AMD GPU hardware. Nvidia should be covered by the above too. If for whatever reason the Nvidia drivers don't get installed automatically by performing the steps above, just search for "drivers" and open the preinstall app "additional drivers" after installing and logging into your new (K)Ubuntu installation. This will open up the "additional drivers" app, where you can literally just point and click to install the newest Nvidia drivers for your GPU. All drivers (Intel, AMD, Nvidia) are updated automatically by (K)Ubuntu during future system updates, no need for you to get your hands dirty. Bios Updates are provided via "Ubuntu Software" or "Discover" for your convenience. Nvidia users get an app called "Nvidia-settings" after installing the proprietary drivers above, which allows for thermal monitoring, performance modes, fine tuning of games, videos and more.

Q & A for (K)Ubuntu:

Where do I get free support or where can I ask questions related to and about Ubuntu?
    Manuals and Desktop Guides:
    Integrated or dual gpu system configurations:

I recommend disabling any integrated GPU via your PC Bios, if you're using a dedicated graphics card. For example, I disabled the integrated Intel HD 530 / 630 graphics unit in my Core i5 and i7 CPU, just to make sure my system always makes use of the more powerful and dedicated AMD or Nvidia graphics card in my PC. You can also switch between an integrated and dedicated graphics card directly from within the (K)Ubuntu operating system.

Switching between integrated graphics and a dedicated gpu (Intel, AMD, Nvidia): tbc, wip

Where do I get software?

The pre-installed "Ubuntu Software" and "Discover" app is the go-to-place for all your software needs, including but not limited to Steam, Discord, Skype, web browers, e-mail clients, video and photo editing software and much, much more. Didn't find what you need? Check this out: https://flathub.org/home

What about drivers for my hardware?

(K)Ubuntu "just works" with most hardware available nowadays, minus a few exceptions. We use Linux in our household and every single piece of hardware or peripheral is recognized by (K)Ubuntu out-of-the-box, including our printers and Wifi dongles. If something doesn't work, like a printer or wifi dongle, check out the manufacturer website or ask around in the community surrounding your distro.

Okay, how can I improve performance even further?
    • Nvidia GPU scaling and image sharpening (NIS): tbc, wip
    • AMD FSR can be used with the community edition of Proton, developed by a Red Hat employee: ProtonGE. See here for a small tuto on how to enabled AMD FSR for your game via Proton
    • Untested as of this writing - no idea if AMD FSR can be enabled for EQ2. Will test asap and update this part accordingly
    • Gamescope: wip, tbc
    Do I need an Antivirus? What about security?

Many Linux distributions are known for their high standards when it comes to security and privacy. As of this writing, all of the Linux distributions above focus on security and take the necessary steps in order to provide a secure and reliable environment for their users. That being said, system security heavily depends on your behaviour and knowledge too. See here for more information on this subject. My advice: Don't add unknown or untrustworthy repositories (PPA) or installers to your system, don't copy and paste stuff that you find on the interwebs blindly into the terminal, don't install unknown scripts that you randomly found online, don't verify or confirm anything that you don't trust with your sudo / admin password - and so on / and much more. For the most part, just stick to the official way of downloading and installing apps, drivers, codecs and more: the official repositories or the the preinstalled Software Center. That being said, if you really want or need an additional peace of mind, just download and install ClamAV / ClamTK from the (K)Ubuntu Software Center and scan your computer with it from time to time.

Firewall: Do I need a Firewall and how do I access the Firewall?

wip, tbc

What about future OS upgrades?

No problemo: You can easily upgrade from one version to another, see here for more info. Freshly released upgrade: Ubuntu 22.04 LTS (up to ten years of support), Jammy Jellyfish. Release date: 21. of April 2022. This upgrade is completely free and the entire process is fully automatic after enabling it as shown in the link above.

What else? Effective and superior resource management on most triple-a Linux distros - including (K)Ubuntu

Well, you'll be happy to hear that (K)Ubuntu is much lighter on system resources when compared to Windows 10 and 11. My wife's highly underpowered laptop was shipped with Windows 10 originally, and let me tell you, it was a slow, sluggish and an overall crappy experience. Then we installed Ubuntu, which drastically reduced cpu cycles and freed up more than half of the available RAM when compared to Windows. Another example: After a fresh boot, this is how much RAM OpenSUSE is using without any programs running in the background. That's 1,3 GB from 16,7 GB of RAM. The Windows 10 OS, that initially came preinstalled on my Dell workstation, was using about 4,2 GB of RAM after a cold boot. In other words, if you have an older computer that is struggling with Windows, give Linux a try. Might want to go with a more lightweight Desktop Environment though.

Do other Windows games profit from DXVK / Vulkan / Proton / Linux in general?

Yes. In addition to EQ2, there are many, many other cases where performance on Linux is much higher than on Windows. Check out this German article, translated to English for you via Google. Part 2 can be found here. Additional infos here. A few more videos and examples can be found in a separate post further below.

Where can I purchase PC hardware pre-installed with Linux?
    Where can I purchase a Linux phone or how can I get Ubuntu on my phone?
    Useful gaming extensions for Gnome and KDE:
    How can I donate to some of the projects seen here?
    What is all this talk about Gamemode that you mention further above?

GameMode optimisations help increase performance on demand for Linux gaming systems by applying several gaming oriented settings for your favourite Linux distro:
    • CPU governor
    • I/O priority
    • Process niceness
    • Kernel scheduler (SCHED_ISO)
    • Screensaver inhibiting
    • GPU performance mode (NVIDIA and AMD), GPU overclocking (NVIDIA)
    • Custom scripts
    The following games are known to integrate GameMode support (meaning they don't require any additional configuration to activate GameMode while running):
    • DiRT 4
    • Rise of the Tomb Raider
    • Shadow of the Tomb Raider
    • Total War Saga: Thrones of Britannia
    • Total War: Three Kingdoms
    • Total War: WARHAMMER II
    Gamemode can also be activated for every other game on Steam, including Everquest 2. So how do I enable Gamemode for EQ2 on Steam?
    • Ubuntu: In order to enable Gamemode for EQ2 on Steam, add the following line to the launch options of EQ2 on Steam: gamemoderun %command%
    • Kubuntu: See installation guide further above
    How do I enable Gamemode for Lutris, Bottles, Crossover and more?

tbc, wip...

Availability: GameMode packages are available for Ubuntu, Debian, Solus, Arch, Gentoo, Fedora, OpenSUSE, Mageia and possibly more. Please note: Gamemode does not have to be manually downloaded and installed on Ubuntu 20.04 and higher. Unlike many other Linux distributions (Fedora, Suse and more), Ubuntu ships with Gamemode installed by default. This is exactly what I mean when I say that Ubuntu makes stuff easier for normal human beings. All you have to do, in order to activate Gamemode for your favorite game on Steam, is edit the launch options for your game on Steam, see above.

Verdict: If you have a fast internet connection, you should be up an running within an hour or so. The guide above has been updated in order to support both Ubuntu (Gnome) and Kubuntu (KDE), but you can also go for other Desktop Environments by taking a look here (Ubuntu flavors). With all of this being said, I do hope that Darkpaw starts adding Linux as an officially playable system, powered and enhanced via Steam Play / Proton that is. Unlike other ppl around here, I am not suggesting that we move away from Windows in any shape, form or way. That would be ludicrous at this point. Instead, just give ppl the freedom of choice by at least acknowledging the existence of Linux and the advantages that it brings to the table for EQ2 players. Official system requirements could be updated with Linux information and we could also create an official Linux FAQ of some sort in order to help ppl give Linux and EQ2 a try.

Long live the EQ franchise!
  3. Sturmlocke Linux enthusiast playing EQ2 via Proton.

Why bother using DXVK / Vulkan?
    In addition to the information seen in my first post further above.

Vulkan allows a title to run code much closer to the actual hardware / bare metal. It's a type of low level execution that allows a game to use the hardware in a much more direct, optimized and performant way than you ever could with the likes of DirectX9, and run way more faster and specialized code as a bonus. Vulkan / DXVK also allows for better multicore and gpu utilization, which also helps improve performance when compared to the ancient vanilla DirectX9 api. Take all of that and combine it with a fast, modern and user-friendly Linux distro and you're in for a real treat.

reserved

EQ2 - Kubuntu 22.04 versus Windows 7, identical system (screenshots from Aterskia, more on page 2)

[IMG]
    Windows 7 -> 23 fps

[IMG]
    Kubuntu 22.04 -> 70 fps

Other games that have seen a jump in performance by using DXVK:

[IMG]
    World of Warcraft: Old test, about two years old - DXVK has gotten even faster since then. DXVK / Vulkan: 209 fps and DX11 / 12: 170-184 fps. Click on the picture to see the benchmark in action.

[IMG]
    Need For Speed Underground: Left side is DXVK / Vulkan with 221 fps and right side is DirectX9 with 147 fps. Click on the picture to see the benchmark in action.

A few more examples and a bit more information:
    Is this the first time that Linux has been a better choice for gaming?

Nope, back in the year 2012, Valve (Steam) conducted a study focused on gaming performance by putting Linux (OpenGL) against Windows (DirectX), and the results back then were shocking to say the least:

In other words, not only did Linux out-of-the-box perform better than the Windows counterpart of a popular game called "Left 4 Dead", but it also helped further improve the performance on Windows, after using the knowledge and data that was gathered during their Linux experiment. See here for more information on the subject: "faster zombies on Linux". Needless to say that things have only further improved with Vulkan, Proton, DXVK, drivers and more, leading to more Vulkan greatness for Valve's own titles. Valve is also working on their own tech (compositor) for Linux, which is said to increase performance even further via Wayland and Vulkan, see here for more details.

In addition, even Google is actively using Linux for their cloud gaming service (Stadia), for their Chromebooks (ChromeOS), for Android and more:

[IMG]
    Click on the picture above for the full presentation on Youtube

And by the looks of it, even Amazon's cloud gaming solution could be shifting away from Windows to Linux one day, see here for more information. Google's presentation above makes it clear, that the company will be focusing their efforts on Linux, Vulkan and DXVK by creating their own translation layer, stripped down and optimised for maximum gaming performance on Linux. And to make things better, now ChromeOS / Chromebook users are getting Steam too, which will only help grow Linux marketshare in the future.

[IMG]
    Image borrowed from Stemgeeks

Steam Deck also runs on Linux and a lot of games actually run better on Steam Deck + Linux + Proton, such as Elden Ring and Control:
    Keep in mind here, this is a tiny machine running an APU with a TDP of 15 Watts! Incredible.
    Stoneburch, gambitak, Typhon and 2 others like this.
  4. Sturmlocke Linux enthusiast playing EQ2 via Proton.

[IMG]

What is Steam Play / Proton and how do I enable it?
    Are all games compatible with Steam Play / Proton - how to check, share or compare compatability results?

No, not all games are fully compatible with Steam Play / Proton just yet, but we're getting there step by step. Most games run just fine with Steam Play, but there are a few that can be a bit problematic as of this writing: Games that ship with or require certain "Anticheat" methods can hinder your gameplay online. That being said, a considerable amount of work has been done in order to not only support Anticheat functionality in Proton, but also simplify the process for game developers interested in enabling it for their Linux users. See links below for more information.
    Alternatives to Steam Play alias Proton:
    Before we start, I'd like to highlyrecommend using Steam for Steam Play, Proton and DXVK, as that will result in the best, easiest and most performant out-of-the-box experience for newcomers. I really do have to stress this, because Steamplay has become the de facto standard for gaming on Linux - and for a good reason. For example: Steam conveniently automatically performs several gaming optimizing tasks before and after you play a game, especially on Linux, which results in an increase to performance, stability and loading times.

What does that mean?

Example: "Shader caching" in the game "Elden Ring"

Generally speaking:

See here for more information:
    Valve is drastically changing the face of gaming on Linux in a huge way and must be given credit for their accomplishments in recent years. That being said, this is Linux after all, the choice is yours. What alternatives do you have, if you really want to avoid using Steam completely? Keep in mind though, a few of these require manual tweaking, fiddeling and further optimisation in order to perform well. Be prepared to get your hands a bit dirty in some cases. I use Steam + Steamplay exclusively for all my Linux gaming needs nowadays, so take everything I write here with a grain of salt. EQ2 ran fine during my short 1h per app testing phase though, so at least there's that. Your mileage may vary ofc. Feedback appreciated.

Tutorials for the Steam alternatives mentioned further above:

[IMG]

Recommended alternative: Crossover
    Cost: 1 x €59

• Crossover can be automatically installed with two clicks on (K)Ubuntu
    • easy and guided installation
    • automatically installs everything you need for EQ2
    • officially supported by Codeweavers
    • Codeweavers + Valve = The folks that actually created Proton and actively develope and contribute to Wine (WineHQ), the very same fundamental base that everything on this list is based on
    • Your purchase of Crossover = helps the WineHQ developers
    • Darkpaw could literally pay Codeweavers to officially port EQ2 to Mac and Linux, initial investment is low compared to other more costy things -> https://www.codeweavers.com/portjump
    Tuto for (K)Ubuntu:
    • Check out this video
    • Check out this short Slideshow that I created for you guys (Ubuntu only rn, Kubuntu wip)
    • Head over to https://www.codeweavers.com/crossover/download and fill out the necessary fields
    • Once you have downloaded the Crossover installation .deb, double-click to open this file, which in turn should open "Ubuntu Software" or "Discover"
    • Right-click and select "Open with Other Application" to open with "Ubuntu Software / Software installer" or "Discover" otherwise
    • Click "install Crossover" in "Ubuntu Software" or "Discover"
    • Search your installed programs for the app called "Crossover" and open it
    • Important, if asked after launching Crossover for the first time: "Crossover needs to install missing packages (Linux Package Installation)"
    • Confirm the installation of missing packages (Linux Package Installation) and continue
    • Click on "Install Windows-Software"
    • Crossover's app and game database will perform a quick update now, let it do its thing
    • Type "Everquest II" into the search field above
    • Click on "continue"
    • Select "Download installer" (this will automatically download the EQ2_setup.exe directly from Darkpaws website)
    • Click on "continue" again
    • Optional: If necessary, select a "compatible" Windows 7 bottle (should be automatically selected for you)
    • "Crossover is ready to install Everquest II" -> all three checkboxes should be green
    • Click on "install" in order to install Everquest II
    Follow the guided installation routine:
    • Install TrueType font: yes
    • Install DirectX for modern games (DirectX June 2010 SDK): yes, accept the agreement and click "next"
    • Install Microsoft XML Parser Setup: yes, click "next" and accept the license agreement to install
    • Everquest II setup will launch at this point, click "next" and proceed like you would on Windows
    • Install Everquest II
    • Another DirectX installation window might pop-up during the installation of Everquest II, ignore / cancel this one as it's not needed
    • Proceed with the EQ2 installation until the login window appears
    • Close the login window and Crossover will finish the installation of EQ2 at this point
    • Open Crossover again and you should see an EQ2 logo under "Programs"
    • Either right-click -> open or double-click to launch EQ2
    • Login to EQ2 with your credentials and select your desired server (EU or US) and be sure to download the FULL CLIENT (don't use the streaming client for performance degrading reasons)
    • Download and install the entire EQ2 client
    • Play
    Optional - perform these additional steps if you want to enable DXVK / Vulkan in order to improve performance for EQ2:
    • At this point, DXVK / Vulkan is not yet activated
    • Crossover merely used to support DX11 to DXVK translation, but it looks like DX9 to DXVK is now supported, not 100% sure though (wip - checking)
    • In order to enable this feature, open Crossover and click on the little bottles logo on the top left, which will show you more advanced settings for your EQ2 bottle
    • Select the Everquest 2 bottle and right-click
    • Select "settings" and make sure that the following features are enabled: "performance enhanced graphics", DXVK Vulkan backend for D3D11 (Builtin)", "Performance Enhanced Sychronization (Esync)
    • Optional: Enable "High Resolution" support at this point if you're using a 4K monitor
    • After enabling all three features, click on the little bottles logo on the upper left to close these advanced bottles settings and try logging into EQ2
    • Enable GameMode for maximum performance: wip
    Troubleshooting in case you happen to see a black or white EQ2 Launchpad after the above:
    • Close the black or white EQ2 Launcher and right-click the EQ2 logo in Crossover under "Programs"
    • Click on "Run with Options" -> a "Run Command" window will appear
    • You should now see the full dir / path to the EQ2 desktop shortcut logo in the "command" section of this window
    • After the last part that shows "//Everquest II.Ink" add the following launch command: --disable-gpu
    • For example, in my case, the entire launch command for the EQ2 desktop shortcut looks like this: "C:\\users\\crossover\\Start Menu\\Programs\\EverQuest II.Ink" --disable-gpu
    • After doing the above, click on "Create Launcher..." -> a new "Create Launcher" window will appear
    • Create Launcher: Bottle: EverQuest_II, Name: EverQuest II, command: the same as in the window before, Folder: Start Menu
    • Select the "Start Menu" as folder
    • Click on "Create" in order to create a new launcher
    • A new EQ2 launcher will now appear in Crossover under "Programs" and you can either right-click or double click to run it
    Why is this even necessary?
    • This fixes the bug / glitch with the white or black EQ2 launcher by bypassing gpu acceleration issues for the EQ2 Launchpad
    • This activates several performance enhancing features, such as DXVK / Vulkan, Esync and performance enhanced graphics for EQ2
    [IMG]

Cost: free, donations welcome

Tuto coming soon

[IMG]

Tuto coming soon

[IMG]

Tuto for (K)Ubuntu:
    • Check out this short Slideshow that I created for you guys (Ubuntu only rn, Kubuntu wip)
    • Install Lutris via the preinstalled "Ubuntu Software" or via "Discover" App if you're on Kubuntu
    • Start Lutris and let it perform its initial setup
    • Once Lutris has opened up its menu, click on "sources" on the left side and select "Lutris"
    • Click on "Community Installers" underneath the large search field on the top
    • Use the search field on the top and look for "Everquest II"
    • Select "Everquest II" and click "install"
    • Choose a version to install: select the "Standalone" version -> this will install EQ2 in 64-bit mode
    • Don’t bother with the "32-bit Standalone" version that is being offered alternatively, it won't work
    • Click "install" and select an installation directory (I recommend using the default location)
    • Click "install" again after selecting or confirming the installation directory
    • Installing Everquest II: "please review the files needed for the installation then click 'continue'"
    • Click on „continue“, which will download EQ2 from the official website
    • After the download is complete, Lutris will configure Wine and start installing a few dependencies needed for EQ2 (Corefonts, DirectX and more)
    • Installing EQ2: Don't worry about all the jibber jabber text seen during the installation of EQ2, this is just showing you what Lutris is doing for you
    • After Lutris is done configuring Wine and installing what it needs for EQ2, you should be presented with the EQ2 setup window
    • Click "next" and install EQ2 just like you would on Windows
    • At some point a DirectX setup installation window will appear -> accept the agreement and install DirectX to continue (don't install the Bing Bar)
    • Visual C++ will now be installed automatically
    • Wait for the EQ2 installation to end
    • EQ2 Launchpad should launch automatically once the installation has been completed
    • Make sure to enable the "full client" and don’t use the streaming EQ2 client as that will negatively affect performance during gameplay
    • Please note: See troubleshooting help below if all you see is a black login window / Launchpad and the error message: "GameLauncherCefChildProcess.exe"
    Troubleshooting issues with EQ2 and Lutris and checking for performance enhanced features:

Black or white Launchpad or pop-up error "GameLauncherCefChildProcess.exe":
    • Close the EQ2 Launchpad or login window
    • Important: Allow Lutris to finish the installation of EQ2 after doing this
    • Installation completed? Ok, then close the confirmation window in Lutris
    • Right-click the EQ2 entry under „Games“ in Lutris -> and select „configure“
    • Add the following line to the tab „Game options“ -> "Arguments" field: --disable-gpu
    • Navigate to the tab „Runner options“ and make sure that DXVK, VKD3D and Esync are all enabled (all of these should be enabled by default if your hardware is compatible with Vulkan)
    • Navigate to the tab "System Options" and make sure that "Feral GameMode" is enabled
    • You can also enable AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution for even more performance if needed
    • Save and relaunch EQ2 via the „Games“ entry in Lutris
    • The Launchpad should be working now and the error seen above should also be history
    Additonal notes for every Tuto above: I avoided using the terminal / CLI as much as possible and tried to stick with the easiest installation method via "point and click" GUI instead -> hopefully keeping it newcomer friendly. Don't install these apps all at once, it will make you go crazy in the long run. Decide for a single one of these apps and try to pull through.

Having issues with Proton, Wine, Wine Staging, Crossover, Lutris, Bottles, DXVK etc.? Where do I get support or how can I report an issue?
    How to add a Non-Steam game or app to Steam and play it through Steamplay / Proton:
    Why would you want to do this, you might ask? Well, this way you can install other games that you already own somewhere else via Steam / Proton on Linux. For example, World of Warcraft can be installed and played this way just fine. Download the WoW-installer.exe from Blizzards website -> add it as a non-steam game -> select Proton 7 or Experimental -> launch, install, patch and run.
  5. Sturmlocke Linux enthusiast playing EQ2 via Proton.

Reserved for more input, will be added later.

[IMG]

Protontricks on Ubuntu: tbc, wip

[IMG]

How to install and use EQ2 Maps with Steamplay / Proton and Protontricks: tbc, wip

How to install and use EQ2 Maps with Crossover: tbc, wip

How to install and use EQ2 Maps with Bottles: tbc, wip

How to install and use EQ2 Maps with Lutris: tbc, wip

How to install and use EQ2 Maps with Wine: tbc, wip

How to install and use EQ2 Maps with PlayOnLinux: tbc, wip

[IMG]
    Image taken from here

How to install and use EQ2 with Jesdyr's Layout Editor and LayoutEdit v2016.11.29 with Crossover: tbc, wip

How to install and use EQ2 with Jesdyr's Layout Editor and LayoutEdit v2016.11.29 with Bottles: tbc, wip

How to install and use EQ2 with Jesdyr's Layout Editor and LayoutEdit v2016.11.29 with Lutris: tbc, wip

How to install and use EQ2 with Jesdyr's Layout Editor and LayoutEdit v2016.11.29 with Wine: tbc, wip

How to install and use EQ2 with Jesdyr's Layout Editor and LayoutEdit v2016.11.29 with PlayOnLinux: tbc, wip

[IMG]

How to upgrade your old office PC:
    Small Form Factor computers with Linux and good 'nuff performance for EQ2 (budget friendly):
    [IMG]
    Linux and Vulkan compatible hardware upgrades for your old office or Small Form Factor computer (Low Profile, Single Slot and Low Power -> no external power -> feeding off the PCIE slot exclusively):

GPU (top to down, best to lowest performance):
    Linux and Vulkan compatible hardware upgrades for your old PC (High Profile, Single or Double Slot, Low Power -> no external power -> feeding off the PCIE slot exclusively):

GPU:
    • tbc, wip
    Linux and Vulkan compatible hardware upgrades for your old PC (everything goes, trying to focus on low to mid budget cards here):
    Amazon links - where to purchase:
    • wip, tbc
    Please note:Upgrade at your own risk. Be sure to look into all the details of your hardware, such as power consumption and PCIE port power availability etc. Contact your hardware manufacturer if you need additional assistance.

Known community members and their systems that have successfully migrated to Linux and / or upgraded their computer: wip, tbc

[IMG]

RGB color control on Linux:
    • OpenRGB
    • AlienFX and *placeholder*
    • Careful with these - read online documentation thoroughly. Use at your own risk.
    [IMG]

Steam installer Early Access Edition (SNAP) info and how Snap delivers an improved out-of-the-box experience:

Where to download:
    • Ubuntu: Preinstalled Software Center called: "Ubuntu Software"
    • Kubuntu: Preinstalled Software Center called "Discover"
    Snaps provide three key benefits that are relevant to Steam users.
    1. Firstly they bundle dependencies. This means gamers don’t have to go hunting through out-of -date documentation, adding PPAs for Mesa drivers or 32-bit libraries to get their games to work. It also means the Steam snap will run on any distro that supports snapd without hassle.
    2. Secondly, they are easy to update. You’ll be getting the latest version of Steam that brings with it the latest version of Proton on top of updates for any bundled dependencies. And this is happening automatically with no hassle.
    3. Finally, snaps are sandboxed. This means the games you’re running don’t have access to the rest of your system, keeping you safe and secure!
    Note:
    (written on on 29 April 2022, so it should be good by now - in theory)

More infos regarding Gaming + Snaps here.
  6. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

What about those of us who detest Steam? Can we still download EQ2 directly from their website (in lieu of not having physical media discs any more... /sigh)? :-/

Uwk
    who also prefers using good 3rd-party anti-viruses and such; definitely the hubby does, and essentially they're all his 'puters, for all intents and purposes ;->
    Sturmlocke likes this.
  7. Sturmlocke Linux enthusiast playing EQ2 via Proton.

Hail there Uwk,

good question, will update the posts above with alternatives to Steam asap, even though Steam is highly recommended as it simplifies the entire process with EQ2, Proton, DXVK and Vulkan, reducing it to a few simple clicks, but to each their own :) You are free to decide on what you prefer to use on Linux. Gotta say though, Valve / Steam is pushing gaming on Linux forward in a huge way.

As of this writing, an Antivirus isn't really necessary on Linux systems, but you can use the Open Source Antivirus "ClamTK / ClamAV" for on-demand scans when needed. Take a look at the post further above: "Do I need an Antivirus? What about security?"

ClamAV (ClamTK = ClamAV with a user friendly interface / gui) can be downloaded and installed via the Ubuntu Software Center. The same pretty much applies to all of the other Linux distros seen above, which ship with their own Software Center.

I would highly recommend using that instead of a proprietary thirdparty Antivirus of any major brand, as those can be used to gather user information or even be used for other questionable intents - among other things. See here and here. It's best to be aware of certain "no-gos" and the usage of the security functions built-in directly within the operating system, in this case Ubuntu, for example. All of the distributions above offer automated security patches on a regular routine. I also highly recommend reading the links that I included further above, which go into detail about the entire subject on Ubuntu.

Keep the questions coming!

Cheers
    Aterskia and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  8. Aterskia Active Member

okies!
    me's turn to post accolades!!

Sturmlocke be hep'in me's way lots!
    him's be way way kno-lots 'bout Linux!:cool:

Him's 'n me's just be finishes with me's udder laptop[Alienware 18], off fum win7(64bit) to Kubuntu 22.04(is just regular Ubuntu with preferential UI of KDE instead of that icky win10-ish UI of Gnome:confused: )
    an' woW, Wow! WOW!!
    I's NEBER knu EQ2 could be's onna Linux!!! dem Steamfont Gnomies' Steampower been changed lots!!!!!
    (dem Gnomies mus be's hiden in Steamfont sum where uh big Clockwork Super Brain, or sum'ting)

'er be's screen-chots uh dat system! an' now it gots WAY WAY mor uh dem FPS's den it eber did 'fore.
    [IMG]
    [FPS slightly lower then static, "buttery smooth," 60 due to being windowed when tak screen-chot, wif out static set, gets 80s~100s, eben in Plain o Majik an Plain o Fire(domfires(sp) an' dez at High Quality graphics!! Triple Buffer and Sync'd Refresh!!]
    note: I's NEBER gots dat high inna win7!! and dat wif both 880 Nvidia cards, Ubuntu/Steam ohnee usin' one card!
    [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Steam onna Linux be werkin' likes a charm,... ohnee need settings rite, den.
    Linux got newer Nvidia dribers too, be makin' screen look way better den wif win7.

p.s.
    i's shud awso recommend to do CLEAN install of Ubuntu.
    awso, backs up yu's "self" by issue commands in game or makey unner Socials/Macros tab:

for UI backup:
    /save_uisettings %charactername%UI.xml
    /savehotkeys %charactername%HK.xml

then for UI Restore:
    /load_uisettings %charactername%UI.xml
    /loadhotkeys %charactername%HK.xml

Den sav all of yur
    awso! no forgets eq2_recipe_filter.vdl (contains player made Recipe Filters made, e.g. TinkerFest, Notd, etc.)
    %charactername%HK.xml
    %charactername%UI.xml
    EQ2.ini
    eq2map.ini
    %ServerName%_%charactername%_eq2_uisettings.xml
    awso duh custom_music folder
    [very important, as previous installation is where custom .mp3s reside, not in new environment]

den copy doe's file an' directories an' puts inna EverQuest 2 directory
    [path: /home/%YOURNAME%/.steam/debian-installation/common/EverQuest 2

{still be workin' on EQ2MAPS' transfer, will update once complete}
  9. Aterskia Active Member

awso!
    me's no used to RIPPLES inna water! or me's chadoh on ground when fying, or sees'in sparklies refecks inna water![IMG]
    (me's makey line for beasties' refection,.. well, it's shiny part anyway)
  10. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Awesome graphics, Aterskia! :D

I am getting more and more tempted... ;->

Uwk
    Aterskia, Sturmlocke and Breanna like this.
  11. Sturmlocke Linux enthusiast playing EQ2 via Proton.

IT IS TIME, UWK.

Hehe, temptation is good, very good. Wanted to post this before crashing, almost 1am over here and just brought my son to bed after watching Sonic 2 (Knuckles ftw). Really enjoyed seeing Aterskia successfully make the jump and also learned a lot from it. I will be updating the guide above with more info on stuff that might be relevant for a newcomer jumping ships. Performance on Asterksia's system far exceeded expectations - an "old" system with lots of life left in it. It has been revived. That being said, we're going to be doing his Optiplex machines next, after upgrading a few parts in order to make them worthy again. Ast went with an AMD gpu for his Optiplex machine, which is good, because open source drivers are included inside the Linux kernel. Nvidia is joining the open source club too btw, it's a first step into a more open future. Will keep you guys posted, what a journey so far. Thanks to Ast for taking the time to comment and for giving this a shot! Hope this helps others by motivating them to upgrade their old machines instead of trashing them, seeing how some of these "old" computers might have lots of untapped potential slumbering deep within the core.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Aterskia like this.
  12. Aterskia Active Member

Linux, be's aw-ways, AW-WAYS, AWWW-WAAAYS!!! puts Life'es bak inna Persunal Clockwerks:D ; be's no need t' twoh-way! but keps werkin sinc be's nuffin rong!! PC's dat udders,... say be's "no compatible, no mets "new" min-mum, tahwee, we no kin hep yu's"
    an wif 'Buntu an Steamy-power tingy, kin still be's in Norrath wif us'es!!!:)
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  13. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Still up to my armpits in Other Things, but once that's done... ;)

I'm all for the idea of not filling up landfills (here or elsewhere) with lots and lots and lots and lots of toxic things that still have life in them ("But, but, but...the latest and greatest is coming out this year! I can't miss out on it! This thing [sneer, sneer] is now just a piece of junk I can just toss!" "You loved it last year, when that thing was the 'latest and greatest'..."). As long as Linux and Friends can meet the new reqs... ;)

Uwk
    Breanna and Aterskia like this.
  14. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Bah. Don't like Steam, don't trust Steam, won't use Steam. X-P

Willing to try Linux... ;->

Uwk
    Tkia, Breanna, Aterskia and 1 other person like this.
  15. Hartsmith Well-Known Member

I kinda regret putting money into Steam for a couple old games that played on my old pc's with less than half the memory. Turns out, Steam adds multiple other programs that are "required" to play a game. And I am talking about a couple programs are added for each game. Not for every game, but each. Which makes it impossible to have multiple games already loaded up and ready to play on a computer with twice or more memory of an old pc that could easily play three times the number of games at one time.
  16. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Amen, brother; it's one of the reasons I don't like Steam. If I can play this game on Linux without having to need Steam, I'll be a happy camper. :-/

According to some, Steam's cleaned up its act since then, but I'll take any claims on the company's part with a large salt lick. :-/

Uwk
    Sturmlocke and Aterskia like this.
  17. Hartsmith Well-Known Member

If they did, they didn't do it on the games that I play. I'm speaking from what I've downloaded just within last six months. :(
  18. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Ow...the recent info I've had that they're doing better was for their Sims line. :-/

Uwk
  19. Kvalme New Member

Is anyone ws able to fix ton of freezes in newest zones when playing using Proton/wine?
    Starting from RoS - it's almost impossible to me to play from linux. GOt constant crashes in all new zones.
    I use Proton 7 (latest GE version) and tried to use clean wine-staging without dxvk.
    It's all the same - got dead lock and freeze either on zoning or even when I run.
    Most freezing zone - forlorn gist. Can't even do weekly TS without freez
  20. Sturmlocke Linux enthusiast playing EQ2 via Proton.

Hi there, thanks for reaching out. Can you try switching back to Valve's vanilla Proton v 7 or 6 and retest pls (without ProtonGE)? That being said, reading how you mentioned wine-staging and dxvk, are you by any chance using anything else than Steam + Proton? Did you download and install EQ2 via Steam or did you manually install the client any other way? Almost sounds like you're using either vanilla Wine, Wine-Staging or something else like Lutris etc.

In addition, could you post a few system specs pls (hardware, drivers, Linux OS, etc.)? Whatever the case, will try out more RoS zones on my Optiplex 3040 SFF (with Steam + Proton 7) for you and report back asap, including feedback from Forlorn Gist. As of this writing, I am not aware of any exclusive stability issues in RoS on Linux, but I do know that there has been a bunch of crashing on any system / OS in that region. All of this should be fixed with the 64b client that is going to be released by the end of this month, which not only further improves performance, but also drastically improves stability (oom and crashing issues) on every single system in our household. Just a few weeks more and our systems will be able to address much more RAM for EQ2. In fact, the new recommended 64-bit sys requirements even list 16GB being the new de facto standard for EQ2 moving forward.

Edit, my recommendation for now: Retest that region with the new 64-bit EQ2 Beta client and see if it still crashes there. Beta feedback has been great so far, mostly because it fixes a bunch of stability issues on many, many systems.

[IMG]
    Image taken from Google search

Hm, interesting feedback you guys got there.

Well, you could always use Steam + Proton for EQ2 and use something else for other games, if you're worried about resource usage. @Hartsmith: Are we talking about memory / ram or hard drive space? That being said, at least when combining Linux + Proton, using Steam does not only often improve performance for many titles, but also simplifies the entire process (see my previous posts for more infos on how Steam + Proton actually improves the ease of use and performance versus everything else). Steam's additional overhead / resource usage shouldn't be that much of an issue on Linux, because most modern and feature rich Linux distros merely use about half of whatever a preinstalled Windows system would normally use upon a cold boot, among many other more performant factors ofc. On my end, Steam only uses a few Megs more when compared to a fresh and naked cold boot. On top of that, I am using Steam in a low bandwidth and high performance mode, further reducing its overall impact on sys performance. It can be activated right within Steam's settings, two or three clicks away. I also always disable Steam Overlay for EQ2 and many other games, as I don't require that feature during gameplay and it does improve performance in EQ2 in a bunch of areas. And most importantly, I always activate Gamemode for every game that I play on Steam, which nearly doubles my framerate on my Linux laptops.

@Hartsmith: If you tell me which games we're talking about here, I might be able to test them via Steam on Linux and show you some numbers, if it helps? Will take some time though, as time is somewhat of a luxury rn.

Art and I have been upgrading his computers to Kubuntu the last couple of days, taking it step by step, and performance in EQ2 has gone way up when compared to his previous fps-numbers on Windows 7, even though he is merely using a single gpu and playing on higher graphical settings (on Windows = both gpus and lower visual fidelity). On top of that, he now has a much faster system, more eye candy to play with on KDE, more features, higher security, more flexibility and transparency and free guaranteed OS updates for the next ten years. :) In fact, he just finished installing Kubuntu on both his Alienware lap and Optiplex 790 SFF, the latter having undergone a major hardware upgrade in order to save it from extinction, lifting that old but nice machine back into the ring.

Will update my guide above asap and provide a few recommended hardware upgrades for old office machines. We have a healthy amount of low profile, low powered and yet very capable cpu and gpus available nowadays. @Uwk, maybe upgrading your existing computer (the one with the i3 cpu, if I recall correctly) might prove to be a more wallet friendly approach after all?