NotD Neighborhood Contest 2022

Discussion in 'Norrathian Homeshow' started by draidean, Apr 28, 2022.

1. draidean Well-Known Member

Hello NIGHTS OF THE DEAD Decorators! SIGN-UPS ARE OPEN!!!
    July 15, 2022-October 15, 2022

CONTESTANTS AND JUDGES PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING RULES CHANGE (effective 09/07/22): We have capped the number of participants to 6 per server and increased their item, block, and free book counts to:

Items - 195
    Building blocks - 195
    Free books – 165

Thank you for your patience, and enjoy!

Do you like NotD decorating and touring neighborhood lights? Join the NotD Neighborhood contest on Antonia Bayle, Halls of Fate, Maj Dul, and Skyfire!

Grand Overseer:
    Celestiell on AB

Server Overseers:
    Antonia Bayle - Celestiell unless/until someone else wants
    Halls of Fate - Devilkiss
    Maj Dul - Devilkiss
    Skyfire - Briar (Celestiell) until someone else wants

*Please do not hesitate to contact any of the overseers with questions, comments, or concerns...that's what we are here for!

We need:
    ~Contestants
    ~Judges (edit - we are full, thank you judges!)
    ~Decorators to fill in blank space and item count on each server at the end to bring the houses together

Please post in the comments below with your character's name, server and what you would like to do from the above list. Decorating will begin on July 15 at 6:00 PM Eastern and end on October 15 at 6:00 PM Eastern. You can enter at any time after the start date but earlier folks get first pick of the limited space.

Contestant Rules:

---The theme for this year’s contest is Air Boo and Boo (a play on Air BnB). Build your own rental property in spookyland! We’re straying from the exterior-only format this year to include the inside of your structure. We’ll see how this worked when planning future Neighborhoods.

---A Vacant Estate of Unrest is set up in Qeynos on AB (owner Celestiell), Freeport on HoF (owner Osterneth), Qeynos on MD (owner Kallysta), and Freeport on SF (owner Briar). Set up anywhere you would like on the grounds outside the main structure in the house, which is condemned.

---You will have a space the size of 20 Regular (as opposed to the enormous MP and now festival marble) tiles to work with as your total area, which you will create yourself. You can scale the 'regular' tiles all the way up or the larger tiles up to 6. Feel free to shape your area however you want...square, rectangle, T-shaped, L-shaped, etc. as long at least one side of each tile fully borders another. You do not have to leave these as your floor, they are just to mark your space. If you leave them down, they count toward your block allowance. There is a sample tile of the maximum size on the front porch of the house inside, along with numbered signs and the guild door. Place one of the signs on your area and send your name and number to your Server Overseer.

---There will be room for six (6) people per server to participate; each of you will be limited to 195 building blocks, 195 items, and 165 free books. All items are allowed except for the pop-ups (like the zombie and shissar) and screen crawlies. This means that Marketplace items are permitted!
    To maintain anonymity in judging, we ask that you take care to avoid identifying items like books, notes, actors, etc. Use an anonymous character if you need to include these; there will be a period after judging and before publishing where you can go in and add your name and any other notes you wish on your entry.

---House Actors: There was a weird bug last year that moved peoples' actors around while loading if any one of them did not have a name. So please name your actors when you put them down. You can always change it later if you don't know what the name will be right away, just give it something.

---Layout Editor: Due to unfortunate accidents in the past, we’ve developed some rules for layout editor users that we hope will help. They are a work in progress.

1) Experienced layout editor users only, please. If you destroy a house, you may be asked to not participate in future shared-house contests.

2) We ask that you maintain two saved layout files for the house in which you are decorating. Please save the layout each time you enter the house to decorate, and then again in a separate file when you are finished for the session.

3) Triple check to make sure you have all of your needed items in the moving crate so you don’t inadvertently grab others’.

4) Do not use the layout editor while others are working in the house unless you have agreed to take turns, because it will roll back their work.

5) Do NOT load any saved layouts unless a house has been compromised AND the Server Overseer has authorized it. Again, this could destroy someone else’s work. If you are working in your own house with the plan to transfer it to the contest house upon completion, work with your Server Overseer on the transfer AND save a separate file of the contest house before loading your entry.

If you sign up and realize you will not be able to complete your plot, please let your Server Overseer know so that we can allow someone else in to participate.

LET'S PARTY!!!!!

Special thanks to:
    ANEYLEE - advice and house expander on SF
    SCABBERSS - house expander on MD, fill-in decorator
    DEVILKISS - server overseer, HoF and MD
    CYLIENA - expander and plat and prizes HoF
    ACUVEIZ - notebooks, cash, and Last House Archway on SF
    UWKETE - notebooks on HoF
    BRAVIDA - notebooks on MD
    SLYTHARA - recruiting and aid on HoF
    OUKA - Last House Archway to use as trophy pedestal, MD
    AELISSA - fill in decorator on AB and HoF
    CHIENNE - Last House Archway to use as trophy pedestal, HoF

These contests could not happen without all of you!

Prizes (per server)
    1st Place - 5,000,000 platinum
    2nd Place - 2,500,000 platinum
    3rd Place - 1,250,000 platinum
    Other items and cash as collected from donors for special mentions, etc.

Judging Criteria:

The houses on each server are marked by signs with the server abbreviation and numbers 1-8. Please use these designations when making your scores. (AB 1, MD 4, etc.) Rate each house from 1-10 (for a total of 40 points) for each of the following categories:

1) Followed the rules (on the forum post)
    2) Creativity
    3) Theme (Air Boo and Boo)
    4) Aesthetics

This is all that is required. You may give me extra notes if you wish, and optionally Special Mentions or Overall Best across all servers if you are judging on all of them. Thank you for your service and have fun =)
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  2. Quiarrah Well-Known Member

I would love to work on this but I dont know if I could work in a house with the possibility of a Scary Poppy thing randomly freaking me me out on my screen. (and I know people LOVE to use those during that time).
    draidean and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  3. Morukta The ORIGINAL Micro-Gnome

Jump In !! Part of the rules as stated specifically EXCLUDE the use of "Scare-Crow" and other jump-scare items.
    Tho, it would be nice if DBG gave us a way to disable those if we wanted to for folks like you that prefer not to have them active. ;)
  4. Quiarrah Well-Known Member

Well in that case . . . I'm in! I love doing that house!
  5. Quiarrah Well-Known Member

Quiarrah.
    Skyfire
    I will take something upstairs (TBA after I take a look)
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  6. Morukta The ORIGINAL Micro-Gnome

The main house is 'condemned' and I presume won't be accessible - you get to set up your 20 tile area wherever you like outside on the grounds, tho, in any configuration you like (just don't increase or decrease the tiles size from default if I read correctly).
    :)
  7. Quiarrah Well-Known Member

Ok. . . I just tried to find Briar's in Freeport on SF and she is not even showing up. I take it the house is not accessable yet. Maybe after HHE2022 then??
  8. elflover Well-Known Member

says decoing starts on july 15th, or no one has seen your post yet and your not added yet.
  9. Quiarrah Well-Known Member

I know. Decorating starts in July.
    ANYWHOOOO . . .
    I will join on Skyfire. Let me know when it opens for claiming a spot.
  10. Smallcorners Well-Known Member

Me! Me! Me!

On Antonia Bayle.
    draidean likes this.
  11. Chikkin Well-Known Member

"Set up anywhere you would like on the grounds outside the main structure in the house, which is condemned."
  12. AlyysKupre New Member

I will donate plat or prizes on Maj'Dul. (Alyys)
  13. Smallcorners Well-Known Member

I should have mentioned that it will be Sennas on Antonia Bayle.
  14. Cyliena Well-Known Member

I haven't been back from hiatus long enough to see one of these neighborhood contests in action, so I'll refrain from being a contestant, but this sounds awesome! (Is there some kind of neighborhood tour too for setting up our own live event themed homes?)

That being said, I'd be happy to help out with the crafted expander and one of the plat rewards on the Halls of Fate server. Not sure what is typical for prizes, so I don't know if I can help out there. I wouldn't mind being a judge either on HoF if me being a newbie to the neighborhood contest isn't a detriment (not sure what the overseer does but that sounds very important!). :)
  15. Smallcorners Well-Known Member

A neighborhood contest is where you are allotted a certain amount of space and item counts in a housing instance along with other decorators. Not terrible hard in concept, but some might find it a challenge if they do not want 'peekers', or tend to heavily use a layout editor and find everyone else is in the house working at the same time.
  16. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

I've done that sort of thing once, where we had three separate folks (we weren't from the same guild, and I don't think we'd even met yet) decorating the exact same Everfrost Summer Home. We all had like 12 of one item, 20 of another, nine of a third, etc., etc. and the trouble with layout files arose when I'd set up a design using, say, five of my one item, only to come back later and find I only had one of it left, for example, and someone else would have 16 of them (or 14 and 14)... :-/

So, yeah, pays to be careful; I'm not sure how, when working in the same zone, one can keep track of how many of what are theirs or someone else's. Therein lies the challenge! :)

Uwk
    draidean likes this.
  17. Morukta The ORIGINAL Micro-Gnome

I've actually been planning to host a contest (with help from someone super-awesome), and after seeing this kind of info it made me think: given opportunity for another contest (not the one I'm planning to start soon), I have been thinking of one rule being ONLY items your decorating toon crafted themselves. I know that wouldn't eliminate the problem entirely, but in my mind at least I think it could help. Just a thought... :D
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and draidean like this.
  18. Quiarrah Well-Known Member

Then you are actually limiting it to Carpenters. Not all decorators are carpenters. Maybe the want to use something but can't craft it. What if the CANcraft it but don't have the rares? Sometimes it's easier to just buy it from the broker or have someone else make it. No. I would not limit it to things you craft yourself.
  19. Morukta The ORIGINAL Micro-Gnome

EXCELLENT point!! I hadn't thought of it that way, quite honestly. I suppose, however, if it were limited to only handcrafted and nothing Treasured (Rares), and/or maybe a specific tier of furnishings exclusively it could work even if it is limited to only a carpenter toons. That might mean having to pick a specific home type, but then you're also limited by alignment for whichever city.

Darn, you! Making me think when I don't want to. LOL :cool:

EDIT: I wonder . . . limiting to non-rare, only level 1-9 stuff. I mean, who uses those things anymore? ROFL
  20. Ocarinah Well-Known Member

Makes me think I should read the rules of contests carefully so I don't volunteer to judge one that restrictive...would be a lot of work checking all those house items. Just the thought of that makes me sweat. Cannot always trust the tag of house items to tell you if they are mastercrafted or not.