I’m single handedly fixing the economy…

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Sweety, Feb 6, 2022.

1. Sweety New Member

… ok, maybe I’m not. That was kind of a click bait title. But I’ll explain what I’m foolishly doing, and why I’m doing it. I want to know if it’s helping.

I have 18 years of wealth, I don’t really need more platinum. So nearly every item worth selling, I list on the Broker for almost nothing. With the exception of something that is worth over 1 million platinum. I realize I’m a “wanna-be” philanthropist, but I’m not crazy.

The reason I do this is because of new players. Most of us have capped characters and when we play alts we just transfer money from our high level characters so we can afford to buy low level adapts and decent gear. But new players don’t have this luxury. I worry that it’s just one more barrier a new players must break down to enjoy EQ2. As an alt-oholic, my biggest complaint of my beloved EQ2 is the lack of low level grouping.

To that end, do you think this has any impact? Or, are there are so few new players that it wouldn’t matter if low level items were free?
  2. Dude Well-Known Member

When I find under priced items on the broker, I buy them and sell them for a profit.
    Pohondo, Pixistik and Xianthia like this.
  3. Sweety New Member

LoL. Well that answers that.
  4. Dude Well-Known Member

I'm not saying don't do it, but there's no way to tell if you're helping the people you want to help. You could advertise in the new player channel or in general chat that you're making stuff for new players. It's still hard to tell if you're helping someone that's truly new, but I think your odds are better that way.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Siren like this.
  5. Almee Well-Known Member

I have repeatedly tried to do that but I suspect the items are being snapped up by people who just turn around and put them back on the broker for more money. But I still try in hopes a few items will actually be bought by someone who really needs them.
  6. Tkia Well-Known Member

Yes, I gave up trying this years ago as I found out there's always some greedy fool that will come along and buy it only to immediately relist it at 10 x the cost. I never could find a way to get stuff to the right people at a sensible price so I simply stopped using the broker entirely.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  7. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

The only way to fix a server's economy is to destroy plat, not move it around. What causes inflation is too much currency in the economy.
  8. Breanna Well-Known Member

I do the same thing. Trying to help the new people out.
  9. Geroblue Well-Known Member

I went to get manroot trap today. Folks wanted at least 1000 plat for it. Several wanted much more plat for it.

Sent a toon into Kylong Plains, and found 3 in less than 30 minutes. They want too much. I put them into one of my depots.

Saw Visionary Foundation for just under 12 million plat. Others just wanted 990 plat for one. I found several today. I just put them in my depot. I'm not going to put them up for someone to grab and charge more than it is worth.

And I have screen shots if anyone wants to see.

Or carbonite chainmail leggings. A 20th level item for 120000 plat.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Breanna like this.
  10. Siren Well-Known Member

Yep, another "helper" here! But yeah, I've actually seen the people standing beside me snap them up, then immediately fling them back up for sale at exorbitant prices.

I think the server chat is a better idea, although "experienced, financially loaded lowbies" also look scraggly when they first start out, so we'll never really be sure. All we can do is keep trying.
  11. Kenn Well-Known Member

I almost never run into truely new player. Low level are usually an existing or returning player. Sometimes you find a lowbie who wants to be power leveled on a free account, but they can't be bothered to play, they just want to auto follow and have you do all the work. Anyone who played from launch got to high level without having anything handed to them and it didn't stop their fun. I sell shinies on the broker for a million plat or more. The reason why, is that people have a lot of plat and are too bothered to get the shiny themselves. It takes the game away if people are handed everything for free.
  12. Jamzez Active Member

What if there was a second type of broker where the plat went to the Gigglegibber goblin game from the buyer and the seller had a choice of status points or some form of currency they could use in game.
  13. Siren Well-Known Member

Ahhhhhh no! If one more token or coin gets added to EQ2, the database and servers will collapse for good. ;) ZOMG our poor currency tabs are already overflowing with 18 years' worth of weird, outdated coinage as it is.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Tkia like this.
  14. Geroblue Well-Known Member

As for plat to spend, my richest character has about 3000 plat. The rest have less. I generally start a new character with one hundred plat from another character.
  15. Tanto Done, finished, gone.

At a guess, I think this xpac my wife and I have made between 500 and 600 million plat selling shinies, mercenaries and master spells. Ghoulinda, along with ridiculous luck dropping 12 celestial mercs, has pretty much paid for all my spells.
  16. Grandavi Active Member

Basically, in my opinion, the "low price" on the broker is going to go to those of us that use the market to earn plat which in turn helps to upgrade our abilities and gear.

However, if you are really interested in helping a new player, I still think the best way is through Guild support. You have no idea who is on the other side of the screen (and won't know either... ) and will likely end up chasing your tail. I have found (and this is just me...) that if I get someone in my guild, talk with them, point out things they should know and tell them to "take their time"... they probably never show up again (60-75% of the time). The few that do, will usually move on to an active guild and I will see them playing later.

I think that the "old-skool" players make up the bulk of the people here now. The newer generation lacks the attention span for a game this size. But... this is all my opinion.
  17. Femi Member

I have always done that Sweety. I am the double digit poster I will sell well below that last poster It doesn't make sense to post low level items for 9999999 plat. it is beyond stupid to do so.
  18. Pixistik Don't like it? You're not alone!

If someone ask for help because they are struggling trying to try to make ends meet ( you can pretty much judge those who are sincere) mail them a million plat and get em going.
    Todays economy is hard in game, and depending on how you look at it, it has the added benefit of you getting your money back when they buy from you at reasonable prices.
    Its an investment in growing the population to make even more plat, old McScroggle would choke if he had the wealth some of us old players have accumulated.

Some like decorating, some like raiding, some like tradeskills, I like playing the market.
    Dude likes this.
  19. Geroblue Well-Known Member

A million plat ? Never happened to me, I never accumulated more than, 3k plat on any one toon at any time.

Most have less than 100 plat.
  20. FuRiouSOne Well-Known Member

Economy has and will always be screwed no matter what players do. Tax free broker boxes and stupid low repair costs is the major cause. Repair cost is pretty much the same to repair VoV gear as it was to repair DoF gear 15 years ago. There is no coin sinks in the game and really never was.