Warlocks Status in VoV?

Discussion in 'Mages' started by Dusano, Jan 2, 2022.

1. Dusano Matron of Lore and Innovation

Tell me?!!!
  2. Tanto Done, finished, gone.

All mages are pending a fix to address their dps in heroics. Fine in solo.
  3. OnlyMe Member

Decimation instacast by AA is still not fixed - if its supposed to be fixed, or working as intended (i.e. different to every other classes replacement spell), who knows? I keep asking and get no answer at all.

Basically, if you didn't already put lots of effort in your lock, roll a ranger or swash, you will enjoy that more.
    Blacks, badname912 and Hellfiren like this.
  4. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

For soloing (including the VoV sig line) and doing solo instances, you are Just Fine.

The biggest problem with casters in general right now is that for Heroics, you need to have at least 600K Potency, vs. melee DPS,which can get by with 500K POT. There's something Very Wrong with the way heroics mitigate mage DPS, we all think.

So, to start with, you want a set of 11 Svarni Bardings of the Potent, and you want to be running the best version of Powerlink that you can get.

You also want the best version of white adorns of Raw Power you can get in every slot you can get them (Primary, Secondary, Head, Chest, Forearms, Hands, Legs, Feet). Yes, this may require you to stick some of your other adorns in your bags for use later and replace them short-term with Raw Power -- I swapped out my white adorns on my hands and weapons to go with POT. Use your best judgement here as to what to swap vs. not.

Also, swap out as many red runes as you can for Abysmal Sea Rune: Force Projection (Chest, Legs, Finger, Neck, Wrist, Charm). I ended up breaking up a couple of my red rune sets for the extra POT for now. Again, use your best judgement here as to what to swap vs. not.

Look at all those temp adorns you have. Go for POT adorns instead of any other stats in all the slots you can use them on.

Other than that, be on the lookout for upgraded gear with more potency.
  5. Magdaddy Active Member

This is false. It's not a matter of how much potency you need. Also, a scout with 500k potency in heroics will be doing absolutely pitiful damage. With equal potency, scouts will smash mages by a factor of 5. It doesn't matter if it's at 500, 550, 600, or 650k potency. Spells tooltip for half of scout abilities with a similar cooldown and obviously take longer to cast. Something is off in the balance between spells and CAs as a whole. Since the Daggerstorm nerf, there is much less of a problem with scouts getting way more damage that bypasses combat mit. There is some, but Daggerstorm was arguably the main source of that for every scout and it has been nerfed into the ground.

Necros are terrible right now because all mages are terrible. Don't let anybody tell you they're not because I've seen parses of mages with ridiculous gear in the top raid guilds in the game and they are laughable compared to what I've seen from a multitude of scouts.
  6. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Yes, I agree with all that. But here the mages are, and the only thing I've found that helps a caster at all is more and more potency. Yes, a scout will blow by a mage at equal DPS.

What else would you suggest that a caster do to be able to enter heroics and star trying to get better gear?
  7. Magdaddy Active Member

Pray to the gods of Norrath for a fix to the class balancing. That's about all they can do. If they go into heroics right now, they'll be doable but they'll either be very painful or getting carried by a scout dps.
  8. DENSER Well-Known Member

I'm still looking for a word from devs here in the forums. Seems some re lucky to have 2 months hollidays.
  9. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

My 'Lock has been carried a bit. At least I can do some power regen...
  10. Twisty Well-Known Member

the problem of irregular combat mit application to individual abilities is still very much there. Daggerstorm was only the most noticeable offender because all scouts share it. But all scouts have abilities in addition to Daggerstorm that behave like combatMit is capped for those at much lower values (not necessarily ignored) - from the observation that those abilities are significantly out of order on the dps list compared to last xpac. and not in-line with what tooltip values would suggest (ie not a silent undocumented buff in the patch note list).

actually the much less esoteric evidence is simply looking at what groupwide scout and tank proc-buffs are doing on the mage dps parse in h2s end-bosses. like assasin apply poison, ranger something arrow, swash daring attack, zerker coordinated woonds, etc. it's very very easy to see from that what's happening. those abilities are way way out of place from where they would land last xpac on a mage pie chart
    Clintsat likes this.
  11. DENSER Well-Known Member

Hi, I'm interested in what you say, if I understand correctly, for a non-English speaker that I am, certain spells of melee classes re far better than last xpac ? Hence this gap btween mages and melee ?
  12. Bhayar Well-Known Member

This is a classic illustration of the "in" disease: incompetence combined with indifference and allowed to continue with no accountability. Very sad stat of affairs at the moment for many people. Frankly, I'm thinking they should have just delayed putting raids in until they get the problems resolved. We'll see how it all works out.
    Pixistik and WizardsRBroken2021 like this.
  13. Carthington Member

I play a wiz now, formerly necro (still do with solo and groups), before raid buffs and temp adorns/powerlink, I have 614k potency with 833 fervor before heartbound, and I did not come anywhere, not even half the damage, of what our top scouts did in raids last night and the night before. And I'm no slouch playing multiple mage classes. The top 2 parsing scouts in raid had 640k+ pot with raid buffs, one was a beastlord, the next was assassin, then the next was beastlord with 620k+ pot...and this is all with buffs. I had 625k+ pot with raid buffs and powerlinks, and even getting manawarded, I still did NOT come close to what they were doing. There's something very wrong here, and it's very, very depressing. As someone who's been a long time player, minus a hiatus, it makes me not want to play. I feel very broke, very left behind. Only 3 of my damage spells are expert, everything else is GM and above.... I should've been a lot higher than where I was....even if I'm still 4th on the parse, I should be a lot closer than less than half.
    Apan likes this.
  14. Phellen Member

A BL in spiritual (kept an entire group mana fed solo) out parsed all but 2 mages during raid.

15. Tanto Done, finished, gone.

The problem with that would have been the additional problems which become apparently once you do start in raids. I can tell you honestly, I have never, ever, enjoyed a raid less than I did on Wednesday. There was absolutely zero to enjoy there. It was... just... awful.
  16. WizardsRBroken2021 New Member

This is exactly why I think Mages should get a refund from this xpack.
  17. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

yeah, and you already know that this won't happen because of the Terms of Service.
    Breanna likes this.
  18. Bhayar Well-Known Member

I completely understand what you're saying here. This problem and others like them would be resolved if adequate testing was done prior to release and when problems surface, a decision made whether something is a "game breaker" or a minor annoyance--and acknowledged.
  19. Tanto Done, finished, gone.

All of this was spotted in beta and duly reported, and of course, as is normal, subsequently ignored. The beta ended too early, the feedback was largely ignored and here we are in VoV beta 2, full release eta 10 months.
    Observing likes this.
  20. Riverbear Active Member

________________"What we have here, is failure to commun'cate. Some men, you just can't reach."_________________
    I point at 17ish years of production and implementation of game escalations and we still are averaging 90 days to hammer out unspeakable issues with expacs.
    Elements like Resolve and Potency and stratospheric attribute increases are adders to the original difference in player vs target level test dynamic. To put a fine point on it, all three are not relevant to the game as written.
    It seems as though there is a paramount focus to limit players in use of gear and to promote PTP & PTW that trumps the importance of game production.
    Write exciting scenarios and set aside the war on letting us use what we got. Thanks.