Not sure I'm getting "it"...

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by gambitak, Oct 27, 2021.

1. Celestia Well-Known Member

This is why I made that post a while back of what keeps people here. Because there are so many complaints it seems. It’s not what it was, but it’s not a bad game just because it’s different from what it used to be. Like I said I hope you find something to play, hopefully Panethon comes out soon.
    gambitak and Hartsmith like this.
  2. DENSER Well-Known Member

This game is no longer different from others.
    On the contrary, they have, little by little, stick to the standard of the moment. Surely for the sake of modernization and to please players who want everything, right away. We all know that a basic mmo is not of that kind.

A strategy that makes this game, for the elders, devoid of its base that has so distinguished it.

Afterwards, we are not in their shoes, we have no game portfolio to manage, employees to pay etc.
    Must do with it. And still be happy to still have this game active for so many years.
  3. gambitak Well-Known Member

I'd forgotten about Brad's work on Pantheon until you mentioned it in your post. It's still in pre-Alpha, which is both sad and interesting. It's been 7 years since Brad started working on this, soon to be 8, and it's still only pre-Alpha. Apparently, this is an ambitious game.

As for EQ2, out of either Skyfire or Tarinax, I enjoy the game play more on Tarinax, but the server is dead. No talk, no interaction and no players anywhere that I am. While nobody has said a single word to me on Skyfire, at least there are conversations happening all around and people can be seen moving in zones; however, the game is a gimme. More often than not, I've outleveled any quest line I'm on before I'm done with the 2nd or 3rd step. Which means that I am constantly behind the power curve from learning where to go next. By the time I get the quest to see a new zone, it's green or gray and provides no experience.

This is definitely not a new player friendly game.
  4. dorotea Well-Known Member

Brad is gone but Pantheon struggles onward. Delays are more due to limited resources and repeated decisions to start over in a new direction than to anything else. Alpha is highly unlikely until next year and maybe not early in the year.

In EQ2 many people don't even bother with the earlier content any more. Cashing in collectibles and running agnostics can get you to 95 quite rapidly. Then there are no real alternatives to Altar of Malice and Vesspyr Isles.followed by PoP.

On the TS side, there is no need to do quests to level - only to get things like ponies and goblins. Up to level 95 rush orders are king - or queen. Then it pays to do Altar of Malice.

At 100+ the signature lines are essentially mandatory on both sides unless you want to advance with great slowness.
  5. gambitak Well-Known Member

That almost sounded like English. I'm not sure what "cashing in collectibles" and "running agnostics" mean or how it gets you exp. I'm assuming that I don't have any collectibles or can't run agnostics.

What are rush orders king or queen? I can look up Altar of Malice, I take it... I kind of found something about Altar of Malice on the wiki, but it's a huge page and looks like an expansion.

I'm in the first stages of raising capital for a company and I can tell you that I'm surprised that Pantheon is able to get funding after the first round if they keep redesigning the wheel. Must have some fast talkers on their board.
  6. Celestia Well-Known Member

It isn't, I'll give you that. I think as far as the PvP server is concerned, it's dead. There's no one who wants to go back in time to the old days with out the new perks, OR they don't like being killed by people, or both. It was a nice idea in theory, but it just wasn't going to last.

Panethon is something I look forward to very much, and I realize that it's going to be a lot more challenging than EQ2 is. I like the old school ideas they have with corpse runs and such - but it's because it's a new game based on ideas I never got to experience because when EQ came out, I lived in Alaska with no TV and basically no internet. We had the radio, LOL.

I am looking forward to a new game, because I realize EQ2 will never be that. And it will never go back to the way it was.
    Fangrim likes this.
  7. Komatus Well-Known Member

All the new mmos that will be coming out will try to appeal to as many gamers as possible. So they will be somewhat soft on the PVP stuff if they have any at all and if they do and it will most likely end up being mobs of gamers running around killing individual gamers who are running away screaming(over and over again), which will end up causing loss of players. Then they will clamp down on the pvping.
  8. Celestia Well-Known Member

Pretty much. If one is to survive in pvp at all, they need a group.
  9. dorotea Well-Known Member

"That almost sounded like English. I'm not sure what "cashing in collectibles" and "running agnostics" mean or how it gets you exp. I'm assuming that I don't have any collectibles or can't run agnostics."

Collectibles are usually shiny things on the ground with question mark icons. They are a good source of in-game cash for new players since experienced players with many millions of platinum would often rather buy them than spend the time to get them. Completing a set and taking it to a collectibles NPC usually gives experience as well as certain other rewards - which is why they are a favorite way for rich players to level up new characters. One can get to fairly high level doing nothing but cashing them in if one has the platinum to buy them or the time and ability to collect them.

Agnostics - level-agnostic dungeons - let anyone run them at any level from 20 up They become essentially useless starting at level 97. They aren't set at any particular level - thus the name. The red glowing entrances are in Freeport near the top or Qeynos near the clock in the port area. Stygian Threshold is by far the best at low level since it is easy and safe and each mob killed gives 630 xp - which is a lot at low level. By the time a character reaches level 70 Crypt of Agony becomes better due to huge mob density. Experience rewards there are scaled to character level so whereas at level 20 they are pathetically low compared to Threshold by 70 this is not the case.

"What are rush orders king or queen? I can look up Altar of Malice, I take it... I kind of found something about Altar of Malice on the wiki, but it's a huge page and looks like an expansion."

A crafter with just a bit of experience can get rush orders - craft 6 items within a rather generous time frame and get experience for it. Level 10 as I recall. Once you learn the system and how to speed through it this is enormously faster than doing crafting quests though some quests give good non-experience rewards and should not be skipped. Many make rush orders their primary source of crafting experience until level 95. Three daily crafting quests also add quick levels. The adorning etc quests. Altar of Malice is a level 95-100 expansion. Doing its crafting quests is better than rush orders and doing its adventuring quests is the fastest way to level at this level-range.
  10. gambitak Well-Known Member

That's awesome; I live in, and I am from, Alaska; I tried playing MMORPGs in Kotzebue back in 2005/06, but wow, that was tough.
  11. gambitak Well-Known Member

Thank you for such a thorough explanation; I'm learning, slowly but surely.
    Sunlei and Hartsmith like this.
  12. Celestia Well-Known Member

Dang! That’s far out there, man! I bet it was! I lived in a little town in The middle, Glennallen. I don’t know about now days but back in the 2000s (that sounds so weird) there was no tv service there and pretty much dial up net. I wouldn’t have been able to afford a sub back then anyway so it was a blessing that I got hooked on eq2 some time later some where else.
  13. rutro Well-Known Member

I think that the lead designer of Pantheon- Brad had said something to the effect that fast travel and guild halls were the beginning of the end for EQ2. It makes the world feel small, and turns it into a instance grind fest... I think that increasing level caps (just because) also, leads to some of these issues. IMO, ascension spells and unnecessary level cap increases have all but destroyed the player experience. I mean, who wants to level even one more level...LOL!
  14. Celestia Well-Known Member

I will say, I NEVER got the point of ascension classes/spells. Ever. Just...why?
    Pathetica and rutro like this.
  15. MightyMeaghan Well-Known Member

Call me cynical, but I'd be willing to bet that it had something to do with hopefully only having to balance 4 classes going forward. Also, given the original way they were implemented, it was a way to artificially gate progression when the expac was low on actual content.
    Dude and tasnee like this.
  16. Celestia Well-Known Member

Actually, knowing the way a lot of how the game works now, it kind of makes sense that that would be the reason. From what I have seen, KA had little to almost nothing to offer, so...yeah. I wouldn't call you cynical in this case.
  17. MightyMeaghan Well-Known Member

If there was any one single expac I could just wipe from existence it would be KA.
    Tinkerfae likes this.
  18. Tinkerfae Member

Well, I will answer on this account because the other is suspended for no reason. I think right now, us complaining about past expansions is a little pointless, just because this massive ban thing has them in the current hotseat.

It's one thing after another.
  19. MightyMeaghan Well-Known Member

Now out on DVD, VHS, and PPV-
    BANBOTS GONE WILD!
  20. Tinkerfae Member

LOL

Pretty much. Half the fandom be like:

[IMG]