Overly complicated

Discussion in 'Tradeskills' started by TradeskillMom, Aug 1, 2021.

1. TradeskillMom New Member

In my opinion the trade skills have gotten overly complicated. It used to be you buy the recipes, harvest the rares you need and craft the item. Now to get recipes you have to do missions, or finish the trade skill timeline, and once you get the recipe you need some obscure ingredient from another mission, or some screwed up way to harvest shadow components. And there are prerequisites, so you have to go backwards and complete something. Then once you finally do get a recipe, you need some obscure ingredient that’s next to impossible to find unless you raid or do missions. And then, you need some currency you never heard of before, so more missions to collect currency. Then you make it and guess what! It’s Heirloom so you can’t sell it. Come on. I have a real life outside of the game. Trade skills need to be completely over hauled. Every merchant needs to use Far Seas or Dark Bargainers currency. Right now my toon has 25 currencies on her. 25!! I pay to play. Someone needs to remember that I’m a paying customer and stop trying to frustrate the you know what out of me.
  2. Pathetica Active Member

I agree. There is something wrong with requiring raiding to be a successful trade skiller. Surprised they haven't put the recipes on the Marketplace so we can gamble on getting a decent recipe.
  3. Bhayar Well-Known Member

The results you are experiencing when you lose a TS developer and no one else has any clue about what it is or what it should look like. Ofc, I could just meow a bit and opine that it's not much better on the adventure side where there's supposed to be considerable expertise, but frankly, looking at class balancing and some of the issues almost every major class has, you wouldn't think so.
  4. Rozyn Well-Known Member

I am really hoping they simplify it back for the next expansion. As a return player who enjoys crafting, I just noped out as soon as I looked into some of the absurd requirements. Sometimes, I just want to do some writs and maybe some quests here and there, locking high end tradeskill levels behind sig lines is already very frustrating. Then you have the currencies, the weird spell teir requirements, various recipe books from various locations. What did tradeskillers do you hurt you, game?
  5. Komatus Well-Known Member

When Domino left the game they lost tradeskill direction and continuity. Maybe someday they will get a dev who will fill that void.
  6. Bhayar Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, I don't see it happening. They've had plenty of time to get off their hands, but the current state of TSing and the decision making involved in some of the TSing things only reinforces (IMHO) that they appear to lack someone with a high level understanding of the game and how the pieces fit together that can make decisions and make "chit" happen. Right now, it seems like there's a number of individuals making independent decisions absent any discussion with other members of the team without a coherent and communicable plan on where and what they're heading.
  7. MightyMeaghan Well-Known Member

That's the EQ2 model. Taking convolution, lack of long-term planning, and parasitic system bloat and calling it depth.
  8. AOE1 Well-Known Member

When you have no really evident leader at the helm, it appears everyone is just doing their own thing and throwing it out there to the players with a "here it is, take it or...". Our Producer, J Chan appears to be absent other than the one letter I recall this person putting out.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  9. Tanto Done, finished, gone.

I'd be very impressed if tradeskills are significantly improved upon in VoV. Personally my hopes are no higher than a virtual copy/paste of the RoS model with perhaps the absence of the awful shadowed harvesting requirement we all suffered through (and a few of us quit over) at the start of the xpac.
    There just doesn't seem to be anyone wholly dedicated to making it work, so it'll just be a time sink and an annoyance for a dev who's biggest project is something else.

I do wonder as well, if the major overriding issues facing EQ2, such as stat bloat, the strange economy, pay to win etc, are all part of the reason why tradeskills are so underwhelming right now.
  10. Fangrim Active Member

No matter what happens I bet expert spell/ability recipies are stupidly hard to get (like with rare overseer missions) and it is incredibly quick to level. This is because the whales will spend $3$£ on upgrading them as soon as the 30 minutes - 1hour to hit max level. This is the design of EQ2 now-a-days.
    Sunlei likes this.
  11. dorotea Well-Known Member

I agree with the OP and some of the following comments. A few years ago I tried to do crafting and had some characters at TS maximum but it was just so complicated and/or expensive to get the materials and recipes. Having started over a week or two ago I will get my new characters to maximum too but more as something to do than because I really expect TS to work weill in the coming expansion.
  12. Komatus Well-Known Member

In the fake history of Norrath it has been decreed that crafting shall be forever everquesting before crafting! :p
  13. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

it would be cool if this new world we are going to would make you lose all your equipment in a ship wreak( your gear would simply not work in this new zone ) and you had to get new stuff with just as much power , but less complicated .
    So you would not lose your toon , but you sort of have to start over , besides when you go back home and your
    old stuff returns to you functional .
  14. Komatus Well-Known Member

15. Komatus Well-Known Member

Interesting idea, but hidden in it are too many bells and whistles that would have to be addressed to make it viable. :eek:
  16. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

I know that Komatus , but one can always dream , or how about coming up with at least one new currency higher than a plat .
    so people don't have so much problems , or you get 1000 copper before you get a silver and so on 1000 silver before you get a gold , but that would be also a lot of work changing .
    Komatus and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  17. Sunlei Well-Known Member

Schmetterling said, "or you get 1000 copper before you get a silver and so on 1000 silver before you get a gold"

oh god please nooo Miss Ratlady, nooOOooo it s hard enough to get enough sivers together to buy the fuels to craft a bite of our first real food & drink. please think of the little guys not those giant rich whales :p

18. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Breanna likes this.
  19. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

well Sunlei that's why it never will happen , because all the prizes would need changing too , so you would pay lets say 20 copper instead of 2 silver.
    Breanna and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  20. Denmum Developer