What keeps you here?

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Celestia, Aug 10, 2021.

1. Kashue Member

I was gone from the game for about a year and had honestly been hanging around the forums like a ghost because I wanted to see if anyone mentioned any real change to the game instead of just the normal "gonna keep you hanging on like an addict"...

That being said, i just came back about a week ago and started up on the TLE server and it's something i should have done ALOT sooner when i got tired of live a year ago. Yep, it does have some glitches... but the nostalgic feelings the groups & raids bring back are what i really enjoy. I'm hooked for now and having alot of fun again!! :)

<disclaimer, that every time i start to have fun... something goes wrong... very wrong... we will wait and see>
    Hartsmith and Schmetterling like this.
  2. Sturmlocke Linux enthusiast playing EQ2 via Proton.

I started playing EQ2 when the game came out initially and I just came back to it last year. I have been visiting countless of other mmo-worlds over the years and this is my verdict: Why Norrath? Because there is no other virtual world like this one. It's that simple. EQ2 was a decade ahead of the competition in terms of visuals, animation, audio, lore, gameplay, sandbox elements, innovation and much more and it actually still is in many ways. They spared no expense back in the day. And above all, the community in both EQ1 and 2 is one of a kind: helpful, kind, open and welcoming. A lot of ppl playing are 30+ with family and kids. I never fully got into the WoW-hype tbh, just like I never got into Fortnite. Guess I'm too old for games with cute visuals targeting a younger audience.

EQ2 is like a good, old and ripe bottle of wine that has only gotten better over time. The nostalgia vibe is real. It still has lots of untapped potential, would love to see it become top tier again.

Last but not least, even after all the ups and downs the company has had, both EQ1 and 2 are still here, after more than 20 years, getting one expac and update after the other. Imho that just goes to show how dedicated the ppl behind this project are, which has earned my respect.

On a side note, I really enjoy the community videos the devs put out over the years, such as this and this. Would love to see more of these high quality community focused videos in the future.

Cheers,
    Sturm
    Breanna likes this.
  3. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

what's important is the community , even if you like to play solo it is nice to interact with nice people

This is for you Kashue, even if and when Kaladim comes to an end , stick to those friends you made and come back on to the next TLE server .
    Everquest has a community made up of all ages , I have met a 7 year old ( who picked up his gaming skills watching his father ) to a 72 year old great grand father .
    Breanna and Sturmlocke like this.
  4. Carynn Well-Known Member

Takes the casual right out of soloing! Awesomesauce. /skip skip skip as usual
  5. Celestia Well-Known Member

Not all of us can be relentless though, so I understand where the person is coming from. Focus is one thing, but a lot of people work and don't have the time of day to be relentless. I get that a lot of raiders are in this game, I do, but I can see how some people might be a little put off by some things. (I'm breaking my own rule here about positive, but I thought I would point that out.)
    Breanna, Tkia and Geroblue like this.
  6. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

And I would not disregard the earlier expansions , there is fun to be had and it's a lot easier to handle if your not geared
    good enough .
    Breanna and Hartsmith like this.
  7. Feonah New Member

You're assuming I haven't maxed ( as far as possible ) Ascension and do as many daily quests overseer, requisitons, daily/weekly missions etc as possible. Always do the TS first to get an idea of the zone layout. I even upscaled the 2 special spells from BoL to grandmaster as they've got a heavier clout. Don't have any friends that play and am too shy to ask ingame for help, so I do it myself. Have already started the RoS sig lines, but can't get past the Quandary in the Quary (sp?), no matter how I try. Rest of the spells are at least expert ( handy that main is a sage and a pet class - necro ). So I'll just run around questing, missioning, tsing until I pluck up the courage to ask to go raiding ( occassionally) At least I have 3 new collections to look for, whilst running around BoL :) Oh, and I'm not offended by your comment, unless you have all the information you wouldn't know how I play, but I basically just a grunt who enjoys running around.
    Breanna and Geroblue like this.
  8. Geroblue Well-Known Member

I seldom see other players in the game. So I do most of my talking here.

Soloer/moloer here. I do go around zones, etc. I just don't go to the big tough ones. TS a bit. Collect and gather. That is about it for me. I do have a crafter on both Skyfire and Maj'Dul high enough so I don't need backpacks anymore. And one can make depots. So I'm A-OK..
    Breanna likes this.
  9. Dusano Matron of Lore and Innovation

Is not personal for a lot of us "negative reviewers" but theres a lot of problems not fixed by the devs and players have tons of ideas that the devs are not even takin notice or considering they are so focused on expansion content instead of weekly or montly content players need a reason to stay every week or the game suffers the devs answer to people on the forums but none of their answers are satisfactory only buts and maybes.....and of course they are focused on making money out of players like certain games i wont mention here......
    Breanna likes this.
  10. Bhayar Well-Known Member

Really wasn't assuming anything other than inferring from your comment about running around in Panda gear. That gear isn't going to get you anywhere in current xpacs. The only thing it had going for it was high potency, but frankly the resolve is so poor by current minimums, it's just not going to do it. Heck, go to to entry for RoS and rob the chest from the zone in of all the gear and adorns and you'd be miles ahead. The fact that you can't get Quarry for sig line underlines that fact. As I said, I'm inferring from your comments about spells and you essentially confirm that with your comments. Again, I'm not bashing you at all. I'm just saying that with your current situation, you're going to find it tough to be in able to negotiate current content. And the new GU is completely out of reach at the moment.
  11. Bhayar Well-Known Member

Sorry, but relentless doesn't mean you're on 24 hours a day. Focus on the things you need to accomplish and be relentless about getting them done when you do log in and not get distracted.
  12. Bhayar Well-Known Member

No offense meant, but a casual player isn't going to get through Toil and Trouble zones. Especially not wearing Panda gear. It was great for its time and the potency is nice, but when you can go to RoS zone in and pull 195 gear out with white and red adorns to help, you'd be insane (IMHO) to do otherwise. And even doing that isn't going to get you through Toil and Trouble solo. It's designed to gear you up past the sig line gear or other stuff you may have to be ready for next xpac. But you can't walk in there under resolve, with poor spells/ascensions, or poor gear.
    That zone, in its current state, is not designed for casual players. It assumes you've already been through RoS, and done a lot of stuff. Your spells/ascensions/epic need to be up there. Sorry if that was unpalatable for some people, but I tend to not sugar coat stuff.
    I do enjoy this game, but not everything in the game is designed around casual players. That's not a knock against casual players as I know some. But the idea everything's accessible (or should be) to casual players just isn't going to happen. Enjoy what you choose to do, but understand that some doors will be locked until you're ready--if you ever are and that's ok too.
  13. Ixian Active Member

The only way to escape is to make a red panda mount.
  14. Amalar The combined salt from all of SOE/DBGs fallen MMOs

This has to be sarcastic right? "... a good, old and ripe bottle of wine that has only gotten better over time ... They spared no expense back in the day ... EQ2 was a decade ahead of the competition in terms of ... "

Do you understand this was nearly *20 years* ago and since then there has been a big 0 innovation here? Not in terms of graphics, mechanics, anything other than maybe being able to come up with P2W systems.

You can *literally* pay for better spells and abilities. I, too, have been playing a LOT of other MMO's, other similar games now you can buy currency, but not many let you outright buy better spells for money. Here you can buy the best everything for money! Spells, Ascentions, Familiars, Mounts, Mercenaries, infusion...

Bloated - The stat bloat is absurd, and from what I am guessing unfixable, The AA "revamp" a massive joke. And the combat is just the most boring out of any game I have played.

Really none of these new systems feel like they have been to add anything to gameplay other than give you stats to want to pay for / lootboxes to buy to get the best familiar / merc because of course Everquest has been reduced to a gambling game.

I lurk because I keep hoping they will actually do something with the EQ, but I think we can agree that wont happen until EQ3, which I just KNOW would be filled with all the P2W trash Daybreak has fallen in love with.

Also, how long since the EG7 acquisition and still not a single word about how that would affect the game? Not even in the producer's letter, which was hollow, as is tradition.

They spared no expense lmao
  15. Amalar The combined salt from all of SOE/DBGs fallen MMOs

If any new players are wondering about starting, this WILL be your experience the entire way to max level. Enjoy.

Really enjoying returning to WoW and having the cities be full of people, really makes me think GH's killed the liveliness of the world here.
  16. Amalar The combined salt from all of SOE/DBGs fallen MMOs

More like a bloated corpse being picked by nostalgia scavengers.
    Geroblue likes this.
  17. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

I got panda gear on one of my toons on the test server , because everybody was saying how good it was .
    But as soon as I was able I emptied the chest at the being of each of the latest zones that go live ,
    this is a totally different ballpark and it's for free .
    Breanna likes this.
  18. exeq2player Member

I started just before RoK was released. 2 reasons that keep me going. One is the game itself. It was my first MMO. I have tried others but nothing compares to EQ2. How the gameplay is, tradeskills, Housing, Broker. I cannot say I like the direction in the last 5 or so expansions but I really enjoy the older content. Which leads me to reason two, my two sons played when I started. They were 9 and 14. My oldest passed away at the age of 24. EQ2 has a lot of good memories with them, PVE and PVP. EQ2 is hard to let go, I only solo now. I will say I did enjoy BoL tho. It will never happen but I would love to see a reboot of EQ2.
    Khavii, Breanna and Schmetterling like this.
  19. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

I thought the TLE servers provide a good chance to change some of the things that went wrong , and might be a good start to map out a reboot .
    With every TLE server it got just a little better .

I am sorry for your loss exeq2player .
    I know of people that passed on who I knew in game .
    I can only imagine what it must be like to be this close to such a person .
    We build memories with those people and build monuments in their honor in the game we used to play with them .
    Xillean, Khavii, Breanna and 2 others like this.
  20. Svenone Well-Known Member

I started with EQ1, at the end of Kunark/launch of Velious, and played it for about 3 years. When EQ2 was released I switched and have been here ever since (Steamfont server REPRESENT). I like EQ2, even with it's warts, and tend to stick with things that I like. The hardest part of playing this game is that most of the friends I found here have retired from the game. I also still play Heroes of Might and Magic III, which is even older than EQ1. I see the comments about how old EQ2 is, how bad the graphics are compared to new(er) games, etc. but I don't care. Sometimes I even play Nethack, which is text-based, though there is a graphic overlay that can be used. Pretty graphics are nice, but if the core of the game is not compelling then it's just a pretty shell over an rotten core.
    Breanna and Schmetterling like this.