If EQ3 Is Ever in Development Again

Discussion in 'History and Lore 2' started by TinyRatongaofDoom, May 20, 2021.

1. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Sigh...even in WoW, the devs aren't terribly "objective gods" there...I guess the pearl-clutchers will shriek less about the existence of terrible, horrible, corrupting games like ours if the Evil side never wins anything, ever. :-/

Uwk
    Breanna likes this.
  2. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Well, it is in the write-up on them that they all have ginormous, huge, festering chips on their shoulders (well, if their parents were High Elves and Humans, that could explain a bit, and probably why we don't have the option to play Half-Orc toons; one set of brooding Goths is enough ;->), so I guess that's their motivation. ;->

What about everyone else, though... :-/

Uwk
    Geroblue and Breanna like this.
  3. Geroblue Well-Known Member

i hadn't noticed any grouchy looks on my high elf and wood elf characters. Can't tell on the one Kerra and one dwarf toon I have.
    Breanna likes this.
  4. Celestia Well-Known Member

I never played EQ1 when it first came out, I couldn't afford it at the time. It was in 2004 when EQ2 came out that I actually started playing MMOs and I did TRY EQ1, and I have to say, I'm with Uwkete on this. EQ2 is my favorite of the two. I mean, a lot of people will probably say I would have felt differently had I played the first before the second, but I'm not a nostalgic person either. I like that EQ2 really never had the in depth hardcore death system that the first did.

I also like the way the language quests work. I don't wanna have to sit there and listen to some random person talk until I understand them. I like the crafting, I like the collections. Etc, etc.

I have always been really interested in the lore though. So I would love to think of what would happen if Lucan was defeated. I actually think it would be more interesting to see what would happen had he won. I am not a fan of the way freeport looks honestly, but its fun to think about what he would have done with all the other races. I do feel sorry for the fae though, because they were so tortured to become arsai. And of course the dark elf spider things (can't recall the name). I always felt those two things REALLY showed just how evil Lucan, the Neriak Queen, and Mistmoore all really were. Instead of just, "Oh he's evil!" We actually have those examples.

I feel like the rest of the high elfs might have been forced to New Tunaria, and maybe would have been brainwashed with the rest or killed from non-compliance. Maybe Kelethin would have burned. (They really need to do something about that tree in Greater Fay).
    Breanna and Geroblue like this.
  5. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

half elves can also be half , wood elves or even , dark elves . for my half elve racial questline I was asked where I come from and all elven parentage was possible .

I played Landmark and we got a good dose of possible lore for EQ next or what ever you want to call it .
    It appeared that most races just where establishing new homes after the world had gone through a disaster .
    Conflict arose because of people wanting the same resources or the same space .
    No real "good " or "evil ".
    The game is set in a time before EQ1 .

the Ogres are not kind of on the primitive side , they build cities and are educated ( some big blocks of rock must have fallen on most of them before the time line of EQ1 )

the idea was to limit the amount of races too , so no choice between 20 or more races .

The characters had big simple faces to allow for a wide variation of expressions .
    We were able to wear nice flowing outfits .
    The armor system is more simple too .
    But it all failed , because the idea of being to control your environment and changing the world literally was just to much for regular computers and laptops .

there also was the idea that any event happening on any server could change that server for good .
    if nobody puts out the fire and fights of the attackers , the farm will burn down to the ground , and the farmers will die .

The tree in Kelethin that's on fire , the fire goes out when you do the questline , in EQ2 now , sound like somebody did not do her quests .

And there are good and kind people in Neriak and Freeport , just as there are selfish and corrupt people in Qeynos .

Not even EQ2 is all black and white .
    Snowmoon, Breanna and Geroblue like this.
  6. Celestia Well-Known Member

I did do the quests, but not on the character I usually play, so I didn't remember.

Also, yes there are good and evil on both sides, and you're right, not everything is in black and white. I was just saying that overall, it would be interesting to see.
    Schmetterling likes this.
  7. InquisitiveRat Shy Artist

At this point, I'd honestly prefer a reboot of the EQ series, and if done right, it'll make the EQ series popular again. I do really miss the days where I'd see players running around and doing their thing, but now, it's like.. 1-2 players per zone if you're lucky.
  8. Geroblue Well-Known Member

The problem in some zones is, if more than a few players show up, the mobs and shinies are gone rather quickly. Same with the nodes for gathering, foresting, etc.

They should either refresh faster, or more nodes and shinies show up if the number of players increases.
    Breanna likes this.
  9. Aull Active Member

I so agree. For me the guild halls are what killed the "players running around and doing their thing". At least in the city areas. I remember both Freeport and Qeynos being very populated. Players running to turn in collections, trade skilling, broker, kiosk, or just picking up quests.

With all the amenities in the GH's, seeing players out in the actual overland content traveling around to spires, rings, ect... took a back seat. This looked as the game was dead even when it really wasn't. When I played back then I was like "!@#$ where are all the players!" Mercy I met so many good players just waiting for a spire to fire or waiting for boat ride. Miss those days!

No matter what arrives I hope there are no guild halls!
  10. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

I hope they ARE working on something new.
    before we got guild halls on Kaladim , guilds would wait in SS to go to a raid , and we had a nice guy pay 2 accounts and than had 2 toons cast portals non stop .
    the bad news was guilds would wait in SS 1 and those portals where there too .
    So when it was raid time you could not get to the portals because SS was over full .
    Breanna likes this.
  11. Standard Member

It would just be another exercise in emptying the bank accounts of the players. Why would you expect anything else?
  12. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

You know , even businesses have to pay their employees , and pay their bills .
  13. Standard Member

Yes, but why some companies are able to do it in a morally acceptable way, and then you have companies like EA and Daybreak....
  14. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

I also used to play Runes of Magic where you have to pay rent for your storage and you pay for your fuel you need to make good gear with , think of it like reforging on a mammoth scale you could not get a mount in game , besides one you had to use that reforging method for .
    Your house only allows 10 placed items unless you bought house extenders and , and ,and .
    But now here's the deal , the game is totally free to play , all expansions are free .
    At festivals you can get bunches of those market place items as prizes and the special fuel and other items you need for better gear can be earned .
    The idea for unatoners came from that game too , so when you wanted to hand down or sell a piece of armor that was soul bound , you could do so .
  15. Dusano Matron of Lore and Innovation

But the "good"side victories are not true or permanent in norrath there is always a new disaster....norrath is in constant chaos so tecnically evil is not losing or winning
  16. Dusano Matron of Lore and Innovation

Lucan continues to rule freeport, Mayong is....well around doing evil things too, and a bunch of "evil gods" still rule universal portions of the multiverse evil is not losing or winning no one is winning or losing
    Norrath spiral towards the void......