If EQ3 Is Ever in Development Again

Discussion in 'History and Lore 2' started by TinyRatongaofDoom, May 20, 2021.

1. TinyRatongaofDoom Beau Wintertail the Ratonga

(This is for fun, no need to take it seriously)
    What would you think the lore would be? Like, would Lucan D'Lere be defeated by the protagonist, or would he win? Would Norrath be in better shape or would it be in worse shape? We can have some fun discussing this, and if a dev pops in, I am curious what they'd suggest/say. lol
  2. Smashey Well-Known Member

When they opened pandoras box in the form of time traveling for the lore to make any sort of sense in EQ2, they kinda made anything possible. Impossible to say what would happen in EQ2 and even more so in a fantasy EQ3.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Cassta like this.
  3. TinyRatongaofDoom Beau Wintertail the Ratonga

True. lol
    Still though, it'll be fun to speculate what has/will happen in EQ3's lore.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Cassta like this.
  4. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

I was sort of miffed on seeing the proposed map for EQ3 (and no, I will not ever call it "EQNext"); basically, it was just EQ1's map, as if EQ2 had never existed. I highly prefer this game to EQ1; I was never that nostalgic, even for Ye Olde Days here. In many ways for me, this system is way better -- [divert for rant] well, it had been until the last couple expansions or so, when we've needed higher and higher college degrees in math in order to just play ("Well, there's level 100 characters [and now, level 110, same issue; thank the gods for level 105 auto-mentoring], and LEVEL 100 MONSTERS!!! That's why you can't do any hit point damage to them! /giggle :D And raiding? You wanna RAID??! ROFLOAO!" [Rolling On the Floor Laughing Our -- Assets -- Off; hopefully they've straightened out that other noise for level 120]). :-/ [/divert for rant]

So, if they do something for EQ3, maybe it might be a continuation of EQ1, or of EQ2, or of both; maybe the plot will be the folks of this time stream trying to somehow get back to the original, or merge with it, since so much has changed since the "split" (I know the continents broke up, but how much land mass did we actually wind up losing into the sea? If we did merge together, would the gods split the difference? ;-> What would happen to all those bits of Luclin cluttering up the place?). That's gotta be good for at least a couple of expansions. ;->

Would we get our suburbs back as living areas (okay, that would be sweet :D)? Would the Sinking Sands get re-forested? Would we have to put up with subcombines in crafting again (ohh no; :eek: please, o gods, no, not that, never again, :confused: NO MORE :mad:)? Would we come home to find we'd missed our rent payment by a half-second, only to find all our furniture in a box on the front step, our layout destroyed before we'd gotten a chance to save it? Would Provisioners be the crafters most in demand, since if you don't eat and drink constantly, you'll be too weak to get out of bed? ;->

Inquiring minds want to know...

Uwk
    who really, really isn't even remotely nostalgic for EQ1...
    Breanna and Robynous like this.
  5. Cusashorn Well-Known Member

EQNext was expressly pitched as a reimagining of EQ1's Norrath, not a direct connection to either existing EQ game.
    Breanna and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  6. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Kind of like "a reboot of the franchise"? :-/

My main worry was that if EQ3 was at all popular, EQ2 would get kicked to the curb as if it had never existed, and that's by far my most beloved game of them all in the EQVerse. :-/

Uwk
    Breanna likes this.
  7. Robynous Well-Known Member

I don't know if this counts as Lore, but I've often been intrigued by EQ1 players talking about when Freeport was exactly that, the port open to all. I find the Good vs Evil lore to be completely tedious and really wish it would go away. Another thing would be similar to what is happening in the D&D universe at the moment: cultural diversity. Yes we have a Majdul and sinking sands, but the Village of Shin is a charming but small representation of all of Asia, and our toons of colour are essentially white folks with a tan.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  8. Cusashorn Well-Known Member

Before the city was visually overhauled and redesigned, the original Freeport in EQ1 was split between West Freeport, East Freeport, and North Freeport. West Freeport was where Lucan D'Lere could be found. He had already mad his way up to the top ranks of the Freeport Militia. East Freeport contained the slums and the port where the boats would take travelers across the Ocean of Tears to Butcherblock Mountains. The militia was corrupt and patrolled East and West Freeport, but still would attack any obviously evil players (Ogres, Trolls, Dark Elves, and anyone who worshipped Innoruuk, Cazic Thule, or Bertoxxulous). North Freeport was still under control of the Knights of Marr, the original faction who ruled over the city before the Militia began to spread their influence. It's only during the backstory of EQ2 during the 500 years between the timelines that Lucan seized enough power and had the military might to overthrow the Knights of Marr and subject the entire city under his tyrannical rule.

The Good vs. Evil mechanic is quite literally the core mechanic of the class system. It cannot be taken out of the game, and the developers have solid lore reason to exclude 4 classes from being played by good characters and 4 classes from being played by evil players.
    AOE1, Breanna and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  9. Robynous Well-Known Member

Yeah, yeah, my halfling pallies are all noble and good while my dark-elf SK's are less so. But that sounds even more restrictive than it is now, could they not switch sides like they can now? My Arasai troubador is very popular in Kelethin. I still do not feel that "alignment" should mean people are automatically attacked, and certainly not that npc's should not talk to you!
  10. Cusashorn Well-Known Member

There is literally no way Lucan would allow Paladins back into Freeport. The whole story of him taking over the city was that he hunted them down and killed any who didn't flee the city. No way would Qeynos ever allow someone who uses your grandmother's skeleton as a puppet to be accepted inside the city either.
  11. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Aw, why not? The original, actual Polynesian demigod/hero Maui (not the Disney-fied version, where they had non-adultery "reasons" for him being only a demigod...sigh) was the one that made his awesome magical fish-hook/weapon from the jawbone of an ancestress of his... ;->

Uwk
    Breanna likes this.
  12. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

If we'd had the awesome, spectacular, absolutely good character creation system they had for City of Heroes, then yeah, we could tweak Black, Asian, First Nation, etc. faces to actually look like they are in real life. :( About the best we can do here is kind of nudge eyes and noses and cheeks and lips a little. :-/

Heck, I can't even get a real smile out of any race, no matter how much I Upturn, Straighten, etc. the lips... :-/

Uwk
    Schmetterling, Breanna and Robynous like this.
  13. Cusashorn Well-Known Member

You're setting the default emotionless placement of your lips. You really want your quote-"resting ***** face"-quote to be a permanent smile?
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Breanna like this.
  14. Robynous Well-Known Member

Yup, all my toons would be smiling, some because it's fun, others because they like the mayhem!
  15. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Well, I didn't participate in the SOEmote thing, or whatever it was, where we might've had actual expressions on our toons' faces that moved, or something. I'm wondering if anyone really did... ;->

And yeah, I'm with Robynous! :D My males as well as my females need to be able to at least try to smile... ;->

Or at least, be able to...

Uwk
    Robynous and Breanna like this.
  16. Cusashorn Well-Known Member

That's what the /smile emote is for. Just like in real life, you aren't smiling 100% of the day because your face isn't naturally forming one in a neutral position, are you?
  17. Robynous Well-Known Member

I tried the SOEmote thing when they launched it, but quickly stopped. My expression behind a computer is not what it would be if I was flying, fighting, or celebrating festivals across Norrath. If my toons were not enjoying themselves sufficiently to be smiling most of the time, I probably wouldn't be playting the game.
  18. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Good heavens, that thing is dorky...granted, I haven't seen it from the "front," as it were, but I have the feeling it's the exact same old face (grim), with a twitch like a violent hiccup. :-/

I guess my point is, I'd like to be able to have slightly more variation in my facial expressions. ;->

Uwk
    Breanna likes this.
  19. Ultimmaa New Member

I would like a full reboot. Start with EQOA lore or earlier still. Then either follow the same path or diverge again. Let the evil side win some this time. !!! Oh and don't destroy the guardian class.
  20. Geroblue Well-Known Member

I noticed awhile back during character select, that all of my half-elf characters have a grim look on their faces. Kinda like 'say something, anything, and I'll may your day painful' kind of look. Yeah, grouchy.