Oceansfull Feedback & Bugs – 2021

Discussion in 'Test Server Forum' started by Kaitheel, May 14, 2021.

1. Finora Well-Known Member

OMG yes, it's bad enough now to get specific items (like the recipe book). I have been at it for more than 2 hours solid and still have not gotten a recipe book.
    Breanna and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  2. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Absolutely brilliant, Schmet (and others along the same wavelengths that I didn't read until after this reply)! :D

There have been times where (pretty rarely, but it can happen) I've gotten "too many" recipe books ("Shh! No such thing, blasphemer!"), like after my main Carpy, my lesser Carpies, and my "water babies" on Test had gotten all their Moving Water books, there was still one left over...but it's Heirloom. :-/ Heck, I'd like to be able to "trade it in" somehow on the Bookworm (maybe for another type of holiday recipe book? Make the Bookworm the All-Holidays merchant [or at least for recipe books] on Test?), rather than worry about an economic exploit on the Broker. Heck, I'd love to just be able to /trade it with some other player who needs it, no coin required. ;)

And yeah, I love the idea of being able to get the yeti plushie from the yeti (Big 'n' Furry? whoever) that we take out at the end of the Gobbo warehouse. Not the Icy Keep dungeon, 'cause not all of us can get a group together on Test, but something we can solo easily. :)

Uwk
    Breanna likes this.
  3. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Okay! Granted, this is in no way scientific, nor can it compete with the Super Crays or whatever you Powers play on there at DBG, but my results so far, with one dude who can breathe water indefinitely doing all the harvesting so far (so no breaks needed to panic swim to the surface to try to get the next water breathing thing activated. Seriously, dudes, if it takes 30 seconds for a water-breathing Totem to kick in and 30 seconds to drown, you're cutting things a little close, especially for those deep clams :-/):

TOTAL: 190 Oceansfull Gifts
    Recipe Book: 1
    Siren's Alluring Hatchet (and what the heck is a Hatchet gonna do underwater?): 1

Didn't keep track of how long it took, but boy howdy, was that disappointing (though I am glad to get a new shade of Marble in! :D). :-/

I'll keep track of other relative figures for these this year with my Tester Hordelings, keeping in mind that my first dude finally quit once he'd gotten his Book (which was actually fairly quickly), at least one each of the new 2021 items (ditto), and Hatchet (the very last item he went for). If I can get all three of my criteria satisfied in the first 10 opens (/pause_for_laughter), then it won't take very long. :)

I will say this, though: I usually harvest in just one area that's always been good to me, at least as far as numbers of Clams go. Would I have a better chance of getting the new items, including the Recipe Book (I, too, need more than one, but at least it's Heirloom; I can put it in the Shared Bank, even if I can't mail it out even to my alts), if I mixed it up and went around to other locations?

Uwk
    Breanna and Finora like this.
  4. Kaitheel Developer

Oh! I can make the Oceansfull recipe scrolls tradeable. That sounds like a good quality change for us. Thank you!

~ Kaitheel
  5. Niami DenMother Well-Known Member

As per my writeup:
    Breanna and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  6. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Yes, yes it does!! Thank YOU! :D

Uwk
    Breanna and Almee like this.
  7. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

I was just wondering if there might not be some variation in the RNG. I know that all Clams have a chance to cough up all the rewards, but so do the Bountiful Brew Day Gardens in all those zones for Brewday, and I know for a FACT that my particular RNG demon seems to favor one particular region each year (rarely if ever the same region two years running, though...) for better chances to get Emerald Clovers. Truth! I could harvest like 800 of each of the other types and get 1 Emerald Clover in many of the other regions, and get like 20-30 of them in 100 harvests in the "sweet zone." :-/

After all this time, I just accept this as fact and try to determine where it is each year... ;->

Uwk
  8. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Okay, tried with another toon, who had a water-breathing spell, so it enabled her to stay down longer, with no lengthy interruptions to get back up to the surface:

TOTAL TIME: 26 min. 15 sec.
    TOTAL ITEMS: 96
    Recipe Book: 1
    Oceansfull Ulthork Bonepriest Illusion: 1 (the last thing I was looking for to get at least 1 of each type)

Better... ;->

Uwk
  9. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

I love you Kaitheel
    Does the Ratonga happy dance :D.
  10. Tkia Well-Known Member

You just debunked your 'fact' all by yourself when you said the zone changes every year! The rng determination of which item is looted will be attached to the shell item. of which there is probably only one in the database which Kaitheel has placed in a gazillion locations on the map, and that item probably links to a single loot table to pull your rewards from. Hence the location of said clam should not have bearing at all on what you get as they all work the same. . I'm pretty sure Kaitheel is not going to be setting and changing any 'sweet zone' flag every year just to confound you!

The only thing that might change is your perception of success. If you're alone in a zone where the nodes are densely packed in a smaller area it tends to make you think you are getting more than if you are having to run farther to find them. In the end it's simply all down to the randomness of that RNG.
    Almee and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  11. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

A matter of time, too, which is why I hunt Clams where I do...if I have to run further to reach my goals to find at least one of every type in a zone, that will take longer. With my first toon, it seemed like I was getting far more multiples of old stuff items (which is cool, I guess, if you hadn't gotten any of those earlier) than of the new:

NEW STUFF:
    Awuidor Building Blocks (recipe book): 1
    Bamboo Raft: 8
    Coral Behemoth Plushie: 9
    Full Fish Rack: 6
    Siren's Alluring Hatchet: 1

OLD STUFF:
    Aqueous Sentinel Plushie: 13
    Barnacle Encrusted Anchor (Appearance Weapon): 8
    Dancing Othmir Villager Plushie: 12
    Driftwood Bench: 10
    Iron Anchor: 4
    Kelp Fiend (house pet): 8
    Lodizal Plushie: 10
    Marid Tide Hunter Plushie: 13
    Oceansfull Ulthork Bonepriest (Illusion): 3
    Oceansfull Wise Othmir (Illusion): 5
    Othmir Fishing Stand: 12
    Rhodium Anchor: 12
    River Fishing Net: 6
    Rust Covered Anchor (Appearance Weapon): 2
    Sea Foam Brain Coral: 10
    Shallow Basket of Shells: 7
    Square Basket of Shells: 9
    Standing Ship's Wheel: 13
    Sunset Sponge Coral: 8

Not so much with the second toon (little more than half of the previous totals, so it definitely took less time than the first one), but that's because I lucked out and found the recipe book early on, and the last thing I had to find was an old Illusion thing, which is where I stopped. I guess if I stayed down long enough with one toon in that same zone to get each of my other 19 toons on Test at least one of each of the new things, I'd have a better idea of the distribution of that zone. As it is, it might skew it a bit when I leave after getting each of my quotas filled per toon. ;->

What helped to fight off despair in the first run is that there's a measured re-pop time between the "availability" of openable Clams; Mum says around 10 seconds in her article, but on my computer, it's more like 16-18. It could vary by machine, I guess, and it might depend on where you're counting from; from the time one Clam is openable to the time the next one is, or from the one openable to the retrievability (accessibility?) of the gift of the next? At any rate, it's known, and if nothing else, if you position yourself right, you can immediately pounce on the next Clam and start to open it once you see the one you'd opened earlier poof away (and yet if the RNG is "random" based on a clock, that could explain lots of multiples). ;->

Statistics aside, I feel sorry for the poor lonely Othmir Dancing Villagers, without their lovely Othmir Dancing Shamans with them this time 'round, and the Marid Tide Hunters without Seafoam Nereids. ;->

Uwk
  12. Quiarrah Well-Known Member

Yea well I was pretty lucky on Aleane. I pretty much got the building blocks right away. But on Q . . . I used 4 totems . . . swam around at least a dozen or more times and still no recipe. Tis is why recipes need to be no trade. Thank you Kaitheel! I'm hoping to have better luck on Bellatryx today. But if Aleane gets another one I want to give it to somebody else.
  13. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

well they will be soon all tradable :D
  14. Almee Well-Known Member

I spent over an hour clicking clams and never got the recipe book so I gave up. I am so sick of DP's RNG I could barf. For example, there is a bug in the KA access quest where one of the pages is hidden in the graphic background. This bug was reported 4 years ago yet, today, it took 6 tries to get the page. I wasted a half hour of my life thanks to them not caring enough to fix the blasted bug. After 4 tries, I logged off and back on to see if that would help but it didn't. And that is a required quest so you can't just skip it. This is why I hate sig quests. You can just skip one that is bugged.
  15. Niami DenMother Well-Known Member

Once the recipe is tradeable (possibly in tonight's Test patch?) it will be easier to get the recipe, as some folks on Testwill have duplicates. I don't think I have a spare yet, but I'll keep an eye out.
  16. Kaitheel Developer

Huh. That doesn't sound like a RNG issue, that is a bad spawnpoint issue or bad spawn volume issue. I suggest you post as many details about it in the bug section of these forums, so hopefully, it can be properly investigated.
    - What quest? What item? What zone? What location?

I know you said it had been reported before, but that doesn't mean we had enough information previously, or that the issue was one that could be reproduced. Your additional information may just be the key!

~ Kaitheel
  17. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Fingers crossed, yeah! :)

Uwk
    a HUGE fan of additional information :)
  18. Almee Well-Known Member

The page spawns in different spots so that is the RNG part that caused my problem today; it kept spawning in the bad location. I've taken dozens of characters through the quest and I average having 1 out of 3 characters have to do the quest at least twice and three times isn't that unusual. Today, however, set a new record at 6 tries. Unfortunately, I don't know where the page hides in the background graphics so I can't help you there. I know it spawns correctly in the four corners so it is probably a page around the lectern that is hiding. I don't think I've ever seen a page there in this quest but I've seen it with the tradeskill, KA access quest. I will get the correct info for you when I run through the quest tomorrow and post it under bugs.
    Kaitheel and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  19. Almee Well-Known Member

I did the quest on Live servers, last year, and for the life of me couldn't get it on my carpenters who are the ones that make all my furniture. They are the ones all loaded up with tradeskill gear and AA's to make house items. I'm glad to hear they are making the recipes tradeable. Maybe the RNG gods will smile on me tomorrow and let me get the recipe.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  20. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Hmm...they're gonna make it tradeable on Test; I hope they do that on Live, too... :)

Uwk