How is Lucan D'lere still alive?

Discussion in 'History and Lore 2' started by Thraeleiel, Apr 4, 2021.

1. Thraeleiel New Member

I've seen Lucan in Freeport since EQ1 and fast forward to EQ2 he's still alive and kicking after 500 years(unusual for an average human). Is there any lore behind Lucan's apparent immortality?
  2. Cusashorn Well-Known Member

He's a lich. This has always been his backstory ever since EQ1 started. He used to be a faithful paladin to Mithanial Marr, until he became tempted by the pursuit of power. He eventually had his powers stripped away from Mithanial Marr directly after betraying him, found some never-explained method of becoming a Lich (or Revenant, I guess), and has ruled Freeport ever since. Only Tayil N'Velex knows where he keeps his soul phylactery, but she's not telling, especially since she's now serving eternity in the Plane of Justice for greater crimes.
  3. Argoniandude New Member

similar story like Arthas from WOW who was once a pally and he ended up as the Lich King after getting power hungry.
  4. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

what about the dark elf queen in Neriak , isn't she supposed to be immortal too ?
    Breanna likes this.
  5. Cusashorn Well-Known Member

That is actually a good question. When Neriak was released and Christanos entered back into the world's lore, players immediately discovered that *something* has happened to her, because she now speaks with a deep demonic voice overlaid with her own.

There's just.... nothing to explain any of that. The Arasai race worships her as a god because she's the one who gave them life in the first place, but there's pretty much nothing to explain the demonic presence in her voice. She's never played any major part in Norrath's events since then (I can't even think if she ever appeared anywhere outside of her own throne room.)
    Rifuul, Breanna and Schmetterling like this.
  6. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

neither can I think of any times she must be bound to at least her palace , I can't imagine she goes to the bathroom on her throne .
    Soulwhisper and Breanna like this.
  7. Obzidian Lore Lover & Innoruuk Enthusiast

[IMG]
    Kyle Bayle that is, revealed to a member of the Circle of Ten.
    He has a special link to Xelha Nevagon, the presumed mother of the Seraph of Hate. It is likely that Xelha made him into an arch-revenant through a variant of the ritual used to make the Wraithguard. You can find the text explaining the details of the Wraithguard (how they are usually destroyed during the creation and another soul is sucked into them) here https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq2/index.php?threads/freeport-quest-dialogue-spoilers.521241/

[IMG]
    Fading Illusion and Breanna like this.
  8. Obzidian Lore Lover & Innoruuk Enthusiast

Other relevant lore
    [IMG]
  9. Obzidian Lore Lover & Innoruuk Enthusiast

I also suspect that Lucan has usurped some god-like powers or abilities.
    My reasons for this are:
    -- the connection between Mayong Mistmoore & Lucan D'Lere
    -- Mayong became a god, presumably like he did in EQ1 by usurping Ayonae Ro's power. As part of the Freethinker's timeline, we are told:
    You say to Brand, "Why has Mistmoore returned? Legend tells of him ascending to godhood. Surly there is nothing more powerful?"
    Brand says to you, "No one knows for certain, but for one who possesses ultimate power on Norrath, perhaps ascension only brought unwanted responsibility. In the dark, I've heard it whispered that he only sought that power for a specific purpose..."
    --In EQ1, the Academy of Arcane Sciences has a portal to the plane of magic. In EQ2, Lucan's tower, also known as Dethknell Citadel or Twilight Citadel, was once the large hovering part of the Academy of Arcane Sciences. Incidentally, Ayonae Ro, after we kill Mayong to restore Ayonae's divinity, has to be imprisoned in a tower of dissonance called Deathknell. This link, keeping Norrath teethered to PoM could be why Druzzil Ro seems to be so much more powerful and influential than she used to be.
    -- Lucan appears to be and seems to seek out godlike adoration from the citizens of Freeport:
    https://oscuris.com/the-will-of-the-overlord/
    So, not a lich. An arch revenant, probably a variant of the wraithguard ceremony, or the same one. This doesn't mean our Lucan is the original Lucan, although he could be. It also means he has someone else's soul in him. Just call him Shao Kahn.
    As far as Cristianos. There are multiple Cristianos'. They just take the name to honor the original dark elves. Elves can live a very long time. Very powerful elves can live even longer. Cristianos is also a master necromancer, meaning she has a lot of knowledge over life and death and probably how to prolong it.
  10. Geroblue Well-Known Member

I just thought it was in the play script...
  11. Cusashorn Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what the technical difference is. All I know-- and am sticking to-- is that early on in the game, we were told that Tayil N'Velex is the only one who Lucan trusts with the knowledge of his soul phylactery that would actually kill him if destroyed. Going by the story of how Miragul forgot to create a soul phylactery while performing the ceremony to turn himself into a lich, I can surmise that Lucan is a lich.