Why am I getting this message, "this name is too reserved or too naughty"?

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Argoniandude, Apr 8, 2021.

1. Argoniandude New Member

I made a wood elf tried to name him ,"Legolas" and I got that message,"this name is reserved or too naughty". I switched servers and tried the name, but that same message appears, though that name isn't taken by all. I found this message applies not only for swears but for any LOTR related names like, Legolas, Aragorn, Gandalf, Bilbo, Frodo, Arwen etc (Sam works). Idk why? I found many players with other franchise names mostly from Warcraft or other fantasy genre. I even have a half-elf named "Diobrando", and a Kerran named just "Khajiit", and those names are allowed. Eventually I ended up butchering my wood elf's name to Legollaz. Whats so bad about LOTR names on EQ2?
  2. Rakk Active Member

Possibly because its a very famous name that is trademarked/copyrighted name - and either they complained or it was decided not to allow said names to make sure no trademark/copyright problems occurred

If it had been allowed it would've gone already anyway, I've seen plenty of variants of it in game
  3. Finora Well-Known Member

The reason you get that message is that the name is on the "not allowed" list for whatever reason. They just didn't put in a long winded explanation in rejection.

Khajiit is probably not on the list because Bethesda hasn't come in yet with a request for their material to be removed and is obscure enough in the grand scheme of things. Same thing for Diobrando. While well known in certain circles, neither of these names mean much to a lot of people, where as anything Tolkien is well known & has been well known for decades, any of those names but the most common in other situations or super obscure in the Middle Earth lore is going to be on that list most likely be on the no no list.

The naming policy:

https://help.daybreakgames.com/hc/en-us/articles/230625707-What-is-the-EverQuest-II-naming-policy-#:~:text=All naming options in EverQuest,2.
    Hartsmith and Siren like this.
  4. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

There are tons of "not quite but almost Legolas" names already in use. Maybe try for something unique?

You can find any number of elf name generators for Tolkein's Quenya and Sindarin, for example:
    "Legolas" is "green foliage" in Sindarin.

If you want to go beyond Tolkein, you can find a ton of great names for a fantasy milieu from the Medieval Names Archive. Got a barbarian that needs a Viking name?
    Finora likes this.
  5. Finora Well-Known Member

6. Geroblue Well-Known Member

I usually use the random in game name generator, then add a syllable, or change a letter or several. Haven't had a problem yet.
    Breanna likes this.
  7. Carynn Well-Known Member

They won't let you have "Lowkey" either, which has nothing to do with anything other than music when you're a bard. o_O
  8. Siren Well-Known Member

Yeah, I used to use Apocalypse and Armageddon as standby tank names in MMOs, but no such luck in EQ2 (it always says "too naughty," even though it's not already taken on any server) . This naming filter goes a little too far methinks. But I guess as it's a family-rated game, better to be safe than sorry?
    Geroblue and Breanna like this.