Windows Update 20H1 Controls unresponsive

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by Alarra, Feb 19, 2021.

1. Alarra Well-Known Member

Hey Guys
    I updated to 20H1 the other day and tried playing EQ2 afterwards.
    I was able to log into the game and move with the mouse. However, after pressing 1 key on the keyboard, I was not able to use the keyboard at all. Also the mouse could not click anything, it could mouse over stuff and the chat was still flowing, the NPC's were moving.
    However I could not use mouse nor keyboard to interact with it.
    This occurred with both the Laptop Keyboard and a USB Keyboard

Things I tried after the update (none of these worked)
    • Restarted the Computer ( I didn't reboot the Router though ^_~)
    • Updated all my OEM applications and OEM drivers(Asus Official site)
      ※ OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer, basically the brand of your computer.
    • Updated driver site drivers (ie Intel, Nvidia)
    • Unplugged the USB keyboard and all other usb devices
    Finally, I had had enough, so I rolled back the drivers then rolled back the update and could play the game normally.
    Is anyone else encountering this issue? Maybe it is OEM specific.
    PC info:
    Asus RoG Strix GL502VSK
    32GB Ram
    Nvidia 1070 Graphics card
    Rose likes this.
  2. Alarra Well-Known Member

Well I put the update on my older PC, then played the game on that PC and the controls were fine. So it has to be something about my PC or about the Asus RoG.
  3. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

that's not what we need to care for. these are microsoft problems (which it wants to address at expense/nerves of users). install manual update for windows. and never rush with it, because they update first and then fix problems that have arisen (this also applies to apple). leave automatic updates for critical security updates only. after all, still for long time you can use windows 7 without worrying.. so there is no need to update system for something that has not yet been tested enough.. think need to wait about half year or more before installing updates, except for security updates of course (which they are always late with). only care about keeping your browser up to date (because they don't allow users to choose between security updates and product updates)
    hail
  4. Rose Well-Known Member

That's EXACTLY what happened to me, with MY RECENT MAILBOX PROBLEM, that I reported in BUGS, when I logged in yesterday, and clicked the mailbox to see if i could finally retrieve items from my mail. I "clicked the mailbox" and it froze, couldn't click anything else, but could move my mouse around, and then not only did the game crash, but also my PC. I couldn't even log out of my PC normally, and so used the old CTRL/ALT/DEL to get out, without being able to turn off things that were still loaded. Never had this problem before. When i logged back in, after a full shutdown, everything worked again.
    Breanna likes this.
  5. Geroblue Well-Known Member

The MS updates since last fall have a number of bugs in them. MS pulled some of the updates, but apparently problems persist.
    Breanna likes this.
  6. Steveo New Member

as i said to my bro, windows updates require other updates, which aren't inclusive to windows updates.
    Did you update your bios, chipset drivers? other motherboard drivers, sound, network etc?
    example MSI b450, requires new bios update, chipset update AMD (chipset), Intel (Network), Realtek (sound), & input devices (keyboard/mouse etc)
    then your gpu drivers need updated.
    Its all part and parcel.. Everything must balance.
  7. Alarra Well-Known Member

I did. Will have to try it again as 1909 is going out of support.
  8. Geroblue Well-Known Member

I rarely, if ever, updated bios unless there was a requirement by an employer to do so. Mess up a bios update, you have a brick.
    Tkia likes this.
  9. Euphe New Member

So roll back window update is the only way to fix this problem right now?
  10. gantetu New Member

Revert to a previous version of an IME (Input Method Editor)

You can revert to previous behavior in the short term by following the steps below to enable compatibility mode:
    1. In the search box on the taskbar, type Settings, and then either select it in the list of results or select Enter.
    2. Type IME settings into the search box within Settings and select the IME settings that are appropriate to your language—for example Japanese IME Settings.
    3. Select General.
    4. Turn on Use previous version of Microsoft IME.
  11. Alarra Well-Known Member

In the end I rolled back the update and installed it again. It worked from then on.
    ★ I had already been using the previous version of the IME as I like seeing the Text type flash up in the middle of the screen.