Where is all the Paladins?

Discussion in 'Fighters' started by Rizzan, Jan 16, 2021.

1. Rizzan New Member

Since Ive come back to Eq2, I've not seen any Paladin main running around. I did a search which didn't show any 120 active at that time. What am i missing, is there something going on with the paladin class? I'm guessing that its not the flavor of the month but is there something really wrong, as in broken class. It does happen when eq messes up a class so much that it just isn't usable, but as I'm running the new sig line I'm not seeing anything that is sticking out at me as broken. I would think there would be a few raid pallys running around but i can't find any. Any wisdom would helpful since I'm looking for some ideas for AA spec.

Rizzan
    Soara2 and WhysperWynde like this.
  2. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Which tanks are working well shifts over time. My original toon is a paladin, but since around the end of Kingdom of Sky, she's mostly been a crafter. From the start of the game, crusaders in general had big problems, but they eventually fixed that.

But it's changed again. To be able to tank for a group, you have to be able to hold aggro, self-heal, and self-ward quite a bit. I think monks probably have the best setup for all that currently (maybe). A lot of tanks of various classes are upset about issues with Aggression, Defense, Block, etc. Take a look through the forums using the Search tool to get more detail.
    Soara2 and WhysperWynde like this.
  3. Benj Well-Known Member

My main is a paladin, and I've been an active raider for the past 4 years. I've never gone for the flavor of the month concept, and I stick with my pally through thick and thin. Sure I don't DPS as hard as our guild's guardian or monk, and I don't absorb damage as well as them, and I don't hold aggro as well as them...where was I going with this? Oh right, paladin is still a viable and useful class nonetheless.
  4. Priority Well-Known Member

Pallies are the worst class in the game. Their agro is terrible due to horrible dps, their utility is useless, and their survivability doesn't come close to outweighing the previously mentioned negatives.

Not being rude, they're just a bad class with bad development changes that have left them on the sidelines.
    Twofeets likes this.
  5. Nekre Active Member

Let me comment before Obano comes in. GUYS, BRUISERS ARE BEST, just as good as monks.
    Melt, Pixistik, Schmetterling and 2 others like this.
  6. Twofeets Active Member

Paladins are in horrible shape at the moment.
    1) The new amends has an intercept component which increases the damage taken
    2) Amends struggles to make up for the aggro T1 DPS can generate (1.5 trillion+)
    3) Amends is group only, which limits its usefulness in raids
    4) If pally wards act like Shammy wards then they are limited by Bleed through...
    5) Less DPS than many other tanks

That being said, my 'main' is still a pally. I'm not a 'flavor of the month' player, but the amount of work required to DPS, hold aggro, and stay alive often stresses me to the point that it takes the joy out of the game (especially when I see SKs and Monks doing T1 DPS yet the Devs felt paladin heals/wards needed to be nerfed several expansions ago).
    Argosunited and Schmetterling like this.
  7. Tanto Done, finished, gone.

Our pally is Killermax (Thurgadin), he tanks most stuff for us right now and does fine. I think he leaves his EQ2U profile open if you want to take a look at his setup.
    Soara2, Breanna and Pixistik like this.
  8. WhysperWynde Well-Known Member

I have a Paladin named Fyrelilly on Skyfire but for some reason I barely play her; not really sure why except that some of my other gals are easier to fight/quest/craft/use. I also have a Monk named Lettiah and same thing, barely played. I am surprised though to hear this all about Monks because I always thought monks were of the squishy variety like wizards, mages, etc. Not so I guess. I will have to look into both of them more often now and see what's what.
    Soara2 likes this.
  9. Twofeets Active Member

Several of the top end raid guilds use monks as their MT/OT.
    Soara2 likes this.
  10. Straos New Member

Pally is probably the weakest of the tanks, but you can do all the content so far, even though other tanks will have an easier time of it. My main is a pally which I raid with, but I also have a monk and zerker which I just solo and group with, both of these seem to be better than pally.
    I don't mind the bleed through on the paladin wards, but I dont like that the wards seem to be capped in heroics and raids. So with last tiers version of the paladins main ward is basically the same as the new tier, and the additional AA increases offered by the AA rework amounts to nothing.
    Amends sucks these days and the latest tier version double sucks with the intercept. Why did the devs feel it necessary to penalise paladins main aggro tool? Its not like we have an alternative method aside from sticking to the previous tier without the intercept.
    And why are so many things added to Lay on Hands? its a heal, its a stone skin, its a ward (also capped) and it has a damage effect.
    I cant say whether paladin are the worst class in the game as I haven't tried all of them.
    Soara2 and Twofeets like this.
  11. Smashey Well-Known Member

When all tanks can do the content pretty much without any hickups and most raid encounters can be handled using just one fighter, its obvious you look at other things, such as damage output where paladin has been strugling for years.
    Soara2 and Priority like this.
  12. Jotspears New Member

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but are Bruisers looking any better this expac? Can anyone tell yet? Just curious. I have an old paladin I thought about dusting off, but I'm not really feeling it right now anyways. I'm not a monk guy, but a bruiser sounded cool.
    Soara2 likes this.
  13. Jalathan Active Member

I finally went back to my paladin this xpac and I'm raiding current content with him. I have a guard and a zerker, and yah, they might be easier, but I still love my pally and he can get the job done. Honestly, agro management comes and goes based upon group set up.

I do wish they'd fix our cures though, silly that they only cure 127 levels...
    Soara2, Taka, Twofeets and 3 others like this.
  14. Schortt Active Member

My Paladin Schortt, was my main for like 7 years, but 4 years ago i made the switch to wizard as my main, Not the greatest choice either, until this expac. But like others have said, they are the doorstop of tanks right now, for several reason. But im still the Raid Ready Alt for my raid force with my paladin. Our 2 main tanks are monks, again for the above dps stated reasons. But I will say this, playing a paladin keeps you sharp, have to be on your toes to survive.
    Soara2 likes this.
  15. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

and healers love the extra help when things get dicey .
    Soara2 likes this.
  16. Julianxzz Member

There are fewer ppl to play Paladins in recent years...
    As a class of EverQuest 2.....The revenue of Paladin class is less than other classes for DBG...
    So....If player want to have a solid paladin...
    Its possible by investing much DBC, Time and efforts in game.
    My paladin is fine in RoS due to I have put much time and efforts on it...
    The key elements are Ascension spells, class spells, gear management and player's skill...
    Soara2, Schmetterling and Obano like this.
  17. Rargo Active Member

My Pally rocks. Been my only playable toon since day one!.
    Soara2 and Breanna like this.
  18. Arclite Well-Known Member

This is true of all classes regardless of being a tank or not.

You are not going anywhere on any toon unless you fork out some cash to fast track upgrades.

100% intended to be that way and that is where majority of the game's revenue is generated.

Long gone are the days where your skill made you shine irrespective of the stats you had.
    Soara2 and Priority like this.
  19. Soara2 Well-Known Member

Betraying to SK best thing I ever did...
    Breanna likes this.
  20. Luck Member

Well, hopeful that with the next GU Paladins will get some love. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a raid team advertise for a much needed Paladin. :-(
    Soara2 likes this.