Server Maintenance - January 12, 2021

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by dreamweaver, Jan 11, 2021.

1. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Ah! Dawn breaks over Marblehead! :D

Thanks for the clarification. :)

Uwk
    Breanna likes this.
  2. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

(yep, Bhayar is right, it's "grammar" ;->)

And while I was indeed a copyeditor/proofreader for a bit, even I leave my Check Spelling turned on for these posts (right-click in a post; it's on that drop-down list), 'cause I might get tired and do a typo, or something may arise from another language and I don't know how it should be spelled (in which case, I double-check with Google), or it's a more complicated word than the dictionary usually encounters (sigh...), or it's an in-game term or player name or whatever that I can then add to the dictionary here. :)

Uwk
    also a technical writer, which is why I sometimes tend to maybe over-simplify in some posts, like how to do screenshot posts in the Norrathian Homeshow forum (in which there are several such posts, many of the more recent ones mine; kind of chaps my hide when folks don't even do a Search... :-/). We tech writers were taught never to presume a level of knowledge on the part of a general audience... ;->
    Bhayar and Breanna like this.
  3. Bhayar Well-Known Member

I can relate. I tend to be precise in language. I once corrected my doctor on a "new patient" orientation. She said, "I see you have diverticulitis." I responded, "No, I have diverticulosis. As far as I know, I've never had a case of diverticulitis." She looked stunned for about 10 secs, laughed, and said, "ok, 1st..you're absolutely correct." Secondly, what the hell do you do for a living? It's not often doctors get corrected by a patient." We had a good laugh for year afterward.
    Breanna and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  4. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

LOL! I didn't know there was a difference, either, or that "diverticulitis" may be a non-term that people confuse with the real ailment (EDIT: Ah! Nope, they both exist; the "-itis" form, as could be expected, is when it gets inflamed)? And you don't have to be a trained biologist or anything similar if you've been dealing with something chronically for like, forever, and you've heard the correct term often enough. X-P /raising_paw

Uwk
    Breanna likes this.
  5. Bhayar Well-Known Member

First, many medical terms are based on Latin. With that context, here's the general rule: the Latin term for "condition" is "osis." An inflammation (as you correctly said), is "itis." So, you can have diverticulosis, which is a condition of the bowel having little pockets off the main tract of intestine and is usually caused by poor diet (insufficient fiber). With poor eating habits, those pockets can be crammed with food that is partially digested and becomes toxic, causing diverticulitis. So, when you read about a medical condition and "osis" is used, it means the individual has the condition. When "itis" is used, it means active inflammation or disease. That said, they're not always connected. For example, there's no "osis" attached to the appendix. When it goes bad, it becomes appendicitis.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  6. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

here it's reason for survivability of this game: if it was played by mostly poorly educated people, then it would have long ago was put on shelf of history (because it's not massive one in comparison with leaders of mmorpg and isn't an asian game).. in case of relatively developed and educated people - no matter how this game is broken by those who make it now one way or another.. in spite of, who are able to look at things in one way or another know how to get enjoyment and of this game :confused:
    Breanna, Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Ratt like this.
  7. Aiyas New Member

Most clinical terminology is based on Greek such as the examples your provided, not Latin.
  8. Bhayar Well-Known Member

Yes, you are correct. Had a brain fart typing. Or would that be fartitis?
    Breanna and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  9. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

I'm sure there's a technical term for that... ;->

Uwk
    who regrets not having the chance to take Greek and Latin in college :(
    Bhayar, Laaw and Breanna like this.
  10. Bhayar Well-Known Member

I had the opportunity to take a year of Latin in high school. Was very interesting. While Greek spilled across sections of the Mediterrean due to Alexander the Great, the Roman Empire with Caesar and their language touched many countries. Interesting to see the roots of words and similarity between languages in Europe. Not all, obviously.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Breanna like this.
  11. WhysperWynde Well-Known Member

One of the Devs, I think ttobey, said that Reforging has been fixed now with this update. Sure hope so! It's something I never had to worry about before and hope I never have to again. I've go important questing and decorating to do ...

Latin .. e pluribus unum .. I will always remember ancient Sister Wilfred at CCHS and still be glad that I learned Latin, because it holds the root to so many words. As per Greek = Kali Mera, Kali Spera, Kali Nikta, ( good morning, evening, night) Ef Haristo, (thank you), Ne (yes), Ohi (no), Tikanis Sumera? (how are you today?) .. is the extent of my conversational Greek skills from visiting there and I know NO ancient Greek.
  12. Bhayar Well-Known Member

The limit of my Greek is "ouzo."
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Breanna like this.