Server Maintenance - December 17, 2020

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by dreamweaver, Dec 16, 2020.

1. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Likewise with you, sir! :)

Or have we just both been missing each other... ;->

Uwk
    who'd love an official position as an editor/proofreader on a website somewhere; thanks, pandemic, for driving home the idea that working remotely with a computer isn't something sinful ;->
    Naramsin and Breanna like this.
  2. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Did anyone get a server reset yesterday? I don't recall, but then I don't always pay attention to the time unless it's a deadline, something scheduled (like Santug visits), or someone dinging the bell every 15 minutes for 2 hours to let us know the server's going down (could be worse; could be Public Test, where you might get a 5 minute notice. But that's the price for being on Test ;->)

Uwk
    Breanna likes this.
  3. dreamweaver Well-Known Member

To the best of my knowledge there was not a server reset yesterday.
  4. Bhayar Well-Known Member

If there was, it was news to everyone. That said, what might have triggered that hypothesis was the return of the missing barding patterns. With all respect to Gninja, that fix was "ninja'd" in and you'd see it upon log in or zoning according to all reports.
  5. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Wish they'd have tested the fix. Every time I zone into an instance, it gives me the bardings and stuff back... I haven't checked closely to be sure if it's jerking the stuff back out of the bank or from where I have deleted them yet :(
    Breanna and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  6. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

everything was ninjad in on Tuesday ( no idea at what time ) but people had no idea it had happened until people stumbled head first into the evidence .
  7. Tanto Done, finished, gone.

It worked for my troub. I made a blank AA spec and committed it. Then rebuilt it.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  8. Bhayar Well-Known Member

I've only had it happen once per character.
  9. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

And it's stayed? Cool! :D

Thanks for the hope! :)

Uwk
    Breanna likes this.
  10. WhysperWynde Well-Known Member

Sprays coffee all over screen while laffing @ Tanto spraying his room with tea .. iced I hope .. or hotsy totsy room for awhile! Yes who needs explanations to ruin The Mystery Of Et Al ???
  11. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Well, for the longest time (and who knows, maybe still to this day in the old metaphorical dusty cupboards...), it was a matter of "spaghetti code," where when they were actually willing to share their woes with anyone else, it may very well have been that they couldn't make heads or tails of it either, but just shrugged, wadded it up into a metaphorical ball, and stuffed it away down in a metaphorical dusty old cupboard. :-/

From what I heard, a lot of that was disgruntled entitled "celebrity" programmers not just going on strike, but willing to blackmail SOE: "Give us the ________ [a raise, stock options, more snack breaks, whatever] we want or you'll never see this fixed." "Bye. Please let the door hit you on the butt on the way out." (good for SOE, say I, I agree, but problematic [pardon the pun] down the road...)

Uwk
    Breanna likes this.
  12. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

I'd like to see an authoritative citation for this. But I'm a little dubious. I made a tidy wad fixing Year 2000 COBOL programs. You want to talk spaghetti code? This is a situation in which during the original coding GOTO loops were cutting edge technology, there wasn't necessarily top-down design, rarely good modular design, and absolutely no documentation (COBOL was said to be self-documenting, but not so much). I still fixed the code.

My point being that no matter how tangled the code, another competent programmer can unravel it. There is no preserving your job by making code hard to follow, because the languages are what they are, and a person with a printout, a ruler, and a writing implement to map out nested operations can eventually work it out. Working at a large government agency, I took about 3000 lines of COBOL-ported-to-modern-language used to parse addresses and converted it to a single line of RegEx. I spent about two weeks unraveling the spaghetti, which the prior programmer had deliberately obfuscated for "job security", and figured it out, but once that was done I was so appalled at the code I just hacked it out and replaced it with something logical!
  13. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Awesome! Then, that may very well be what they did, too; this was all before I think even the Vanguard people left, from what I'd heard (anecdotes from SOE employees, but nothing those folks could put a finger on). :)

So, what's the excuse now, I wonder... :-/

Uwk
    who'd taken one COBOL class back in Junior College and thought it was sturdy, elegant, and puzzling as to why the whole 19__ was a thing no one thought to do anything about until almost too late...need we have panicked about it? ;->
    Breanna likes this.
  14. Naramsin Well-Known Member

I'm not used to anyone calling me sir,
    So drop and give me 20, soldier!
    Lol
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.